PDA

View Full Version : FOLDING KK .............

hbgolfpro
04-20-2005, 01:05 PM
The game is NLH....200 buy in....blinds are 3 and 5. Folded to MP who limps...as does the button. I am in BB with KK....I decide to limp also. I have a VERY strong table image and my raises get respect. I thought I would try and play this hand a little differently and see what happens.

Flop is 2s 4s 9d

I check....MP bets 15...button folds....I call. MP immediately took notice when I called and even said out loud...oh no!

Turn is Jd....I check and MP announces all in! He pushes 175 into a pot of 40! Now MP is a bad player....however he is tricky and sly. He plays every hand.....and goes too far with them. But...my thinking was for him to bet such an amount into a small pot...knowing that I had called him on the flop....and also knowing that I show premium hands.... it just seemed to me that he was begging for a call hoping to double up. So I trusted my gut instinct and I laid it down. I decided to get my money in at a later time where there was no guessing. Any thoughts?

hbgolfpro
04-20-2005, 01:06 PM
By the way....when he pushed all in I had about 400 in front of me.....

sourbeaver
04-20-2005, 01:07 PM
It does look like a weak machination to get you to call an overbet. Trust your read and your guts. Since that's what you did, I say good fold.

bigt439
04-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah from what he said, your image, and his actions I think this is a fairly easy fold. Why did you limp KK in the BB though. You don't want to get tricky with one pair hands or play KK for set value so I don't really see the benefit of limping this when you're the one who closes the action. Seems like you're just inviting trouble and difficult decisions out of position.

hbgolfpro
04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi BigT....I limped with it because as I said my raises get alot of respect...especially preflop. I decided to limp and hopefully trap one of these goons on a later street when they make a critical mistake. I am also good enough to NOT trap myself in the process...alas my fold. But I do see your point though.....

Los Feliz Slim
04-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Mixing up your game out of the BB w/KK I would say is questionable at best, and you're definitely setting yourself up for this kind of quandry if you're planning on setting a trap. If you're going to do it, check-raising the flop makes much more sense, because there are too many cards that can come on the turn that can scare you.

Based on your read this sounds like a good fold, but if you were trying to get the guy's stack when he had TPTK to your overpair you may have missed your opportunity.

hbgolfpro
04-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Nice thoughts Slim.....I agree. In my heart I was beat but I still like your post....