PDA

View Full Version : Recurring Dreams...

thatpfunk
04-20-2005, 08:41 AM
I currently have two recurring dreams. During the dream I do not realize that it is recurring because they are always slightly different. The majority of the dream, however, focuses upon recurring themes, symbols, etc.

Does anyone have any experiences with them? Has anyone ever had a recurring dream analyzed by a psychologist? Are they all a bunch of bs? Any psychologists here want to analyze mine?

Recurring dreams are one of the strangest things I've ever encountered. I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

Shajen
04-20-2005, 11:22 AM
recurring dreams in my experience have almost always had to do with an uncomfortable upcoming decision.

What are the dreams you are having? Can you describe them? Anything going on in your life right now you are unsure about how to handle?

I'm not a pyschologist, but I play one on OOT.

gamblore99
04-20-2005, 11:37 AM
They could be mean something, but I think the general consensus among psychologists nowadays is that symbolism is unique to each individual. It probably means something. Tell us more.

LALDAAS
04-20-2005, 11:39 AM
I always have ones where my damn tooth falls out( always the same one).

And It ones where I am light as a feather, can run like the wind and jump really high and long distances.

Just firgured I have seen Matrix to many times?

Shajen
04-20-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always have ones where my damn tooth falls out( always the same one).

[/ QUOTE ]

This means you are afraid of commitment, and you are hesitant to tie the knot (the knot obviously used as a method to remove loose teeth) with your significant other. I recommend you discuss this matter with her and get your feelings hashed out.

[ QUOTE ]
And It ones where I am light as a feather, can run like the wind and jump really high and long distances.

Just figured I have seen Matrix to many times?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is you trying to reclaim long lost childhood dreams. I recommend binge drinking and a night out with your friends and 16 hookers. Not 15 or 17, but 16. Have fun.

(I have no idea man, dreams are trippy [censored], ya know?)

LALDAAS
04-20-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This means you are afraid of commitment, and you are hesitant to tie the knot (the knot obviously used as a method to remove loose teeth) with your significant other. I recommend you discuss this matter with her and get your feelings hashed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA! Maybe! My girl and her family has been putting a huge amount of pressure on me to pop the question since Easter.
Maybe this is why!
[ QUOTE ]
This is you trying to reclaim long lost childhood dreams. I recommend binge drinking and a night out with your friends and 16 hookers. Not 15 or 17, but 16. Have fun.

(I have no idea man, dreams are trippy [censored], ya know?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this every weekend, well minus the hookers! Binge drinking is fun /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thatpfunk
04-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Ok:

One dream occurs with me starting out in the ocean. It is very far from the shore and extremely calm and serene. Things are very cold looking: the color of the water, the background colors, often it is night time or as if I am in Arctic waters. I am treading water with 1 or 2 girls that are familiar to me, but their specific identities are unknown. In the ocean is either an huge cruise ship or huge airplane (basically an incredibly large metal, man-made object) that I am trying really hard to avoid (not in a scared way, I just know I want nothing to do with it).

I tread water for a while staying away from the huge object and then somehow I find myself back on land. I am making my way towards something that I am pretty excited about. I get to an open beach that is amazing-looking. Everything is extremely vibrant in color: the ocean is a stunning, deep, bright, blue and the sand is very golden yellow.

I immediately go to swim (or surf) in the ocean and the waves become gigantic. However, the gigantic waves don't scare me and I am having fun catching riding them, etc. And then I wake up.

I am a weirdo.

Shajen
04-20-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok:

One dream occurs with me starting out in the ocean. It is very far from the shore and extremely calm and serene. Things are very cold looking: the color of the water, the background colors, often it is night time or as if I am in Arctic waters. I am treading water with 1 or 2 girls that are familiar to me, but their specific identities are unknown. In the ocean is either an huge cruise ship or huge airplane (basically an incredibly large metal, man-made object) that I am trying really hard to avoid (not in a scared way, I just know I want nothing to do with it).

I tread water for a while staying away from the huge object and then somehow I find myself back on land. I am making my way towards something that I am pretty excited about. I get to an open beach that is amazing-looking. Everything is extremely vibrant in color: the ocean is a stunning, deep, bright, blue and the sand is very golden yellow.

I immediately go to swim (or surf) in the ocean and the waves become gigantic. However, the gigantic waves don't scare me and I am having fun catching riding them, etc. And then I wake up.

I am a weirdo.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first part of your dream sounds like you are torn between a couple of decisions or, if taken literally, women.

Sounds like once you make your choice, it will become a little clearer. The Ocean liner and or airplane could be seen as a "way out" of whatever situation you are facing, but you are unsure of what will happen if you make your choice.

It seems when you "stay away from the huge object" you are avoiding the situation.

When you jump back to land "suddenly" it seems like you've tricked yourself into thinking you've successfully avoided whatever situation it is you need to face. When you wade back in the water and start swimming/enjoying yourself again, it means that you are getting sucked back into the situation again, and the cycle completes.

Or, it could just mean you like swimming in cooler than normal water with faceless chicks.

I doubt this helped at all, but it was fun.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MicroBob
04-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I have a few different recurring dreams actually....all are weird in their own way...and each are slightly different.

Another dream pattern I detected a few months ago involved my poker successes.

If I was running badly in poker for 2 or 3 days I would have dreams of being back in high-school and late for an exam or missing it entirely....or in a car without brakes. Or lost in the city and late for work. etc etc.

Just your typical situation where my subconcious is telling me that it is feeling pretty insecure about the lack of control regarding my finances I guess.

when I would run well in poker for a day or two..or more...I would have dreams that of pitching the bottom of the 9th inning in game 7 of the world series.
Warming up in the bull-pen and then coming into the game I had total confidence the whole time.

Or that I was scoring the winning goal in a hockey game (I can't skate by the way...but in my dream it didn't matter) or that I was in some other situation where I was 'the freaking MAN'.
A few times I have dreamt about winning a marathon which I suppose is even more closely related to the mind-set of a winning poker player. One of the marathons I dreamt about took place in Alaska for some reason.

JGalt
04-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Mine are simple and don't think I am actually asleep for these and are telling me that I have to much on my mind.

I add numbers over and over. The same numbers and easy numbers. I'll ask myself what 17+23 is and I'll say 40. Then I'll ask myself, Is that right? and repeat, always repeat, over and over and over.

The other is a boiling pot of water that I take off the stove, I look back and the pot is back on the stove boiling again. Repeat, always repeat, over and over and over.

thatpfunk
04-20-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I add numbers over and over. The same numbers and easy numbers. I'll ask myself what 17+23 is and I'll say 40. Then I'll ask myself, Is that right? and repeat, always repeat, over and over and over.

The other is a boiling pot of water that I take off the stove, I look back and the pot is back on the stove boiling again. Repeat, always repeat, over and over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, those sound incredibly annoying. Do you realize they are recurring when you are having them?

The thing that is so strange to me is when I wake up, remembering the dream and I get a rush of deja vu and the realization that I've played the same thing out many times before.

Jeff W
04-20-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I was running badly in poker for 2 or 3 days I would have dreams of being back in high-school and late for an exam or missing it entirely....

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have a dream like this every so often and I've been having it for about 4-5 years now.

I also occasionally have dreams where I am trying to run or punch/kick someone and I am either stuck in place or unable to cause damage respectively.

Finally, I often have dreams where I am one of the only people left on earth or THE only person and everyone else is dead or just gone.

Boy, the armchair psychiatrists should have a field day with those. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tboner7
04-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I think recurring dreams happen because there is a problem in the dream that you haven't solved. For example, I kept having a dream where I was running a race and was running really fast, then my legs would get tangled up and I couldn't run anymore and I would lose. Then one day I had the dream again, but this time I finished the race, and then never had the dream again.
Also I've had dreams about ghosts where they would scare me and I would wake up. Then one day I had a similar dream, but this time I talked to the ghost and asked it why it was here, and then I never had the dream again.

JGalt
04-20-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, those sound incredibly annoying. Do you realize they are recurring when you are having them?

The thing that is so strange to me is when I wake up, remembering the dream and I get a rush of deja vu and the realization that I've played the same thing out many times before.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are pretty annoying. I dont think I'm fully asleep, because I feel like I am aware of them. Kind of in a half sleep and half wake state. I'm aware that they are recurring, I think to myself you just answered that and then I think, well I better recheck it.