PDA

View Full Version : Non religious bible question

DBowling
04-20-2005, 05:50 AM
I think i remember from sunday school, back in the day, that there was a guy named methusela(sp?), and he lived to be 1000 years old, or something like that. is it accepted as fact amongst non religious types that it was possible for people to live to be hundereds of years old back then?

istewart
04-20-2005, 05:52 AM
Dude I love your avatar.

DBowling
04-20-2005, 06:09 AM
thank you

jason_t
04-20-2005, 06:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude I love your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, why don't you have an avatar?

GuyOnTilt
04-20-2005, 06:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think i remember from sunday school, back in the day, that there was a guy named methusela(sp?), and he lived to be 1000 years old, or something like that. is it accepted as fact amongst non religious types that it was possible for people to live to be hundereds of years old back then?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the Bible, he lived to be 969 years old. The common explaination is that there was a protective layer of water vapor in the Earth's atmosphere at this time, which made our planet's conditions much different and protected us from external radiation and what not, thereby allowing for lifespans of hundred of years. This canopy would be released during the great Biblical flood and lifespans went down very quickly thereafter. There was a thread on physicsforums a while back on whether or not such a canopy was physically possible and they went into a lot of equations and higher level math and physics stuff that was a bit above my head, but it was interesting.

GoT

istewart
04-20-2005, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude I love your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me one. Or tell me one. And don't give me some "go Dodgers, small sample sizes rOOOL!" avatar!

jason_t
04-20-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude I love your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me one. Or tell me one. And don't give me some "go Dodgers, small sample sizes rOOOL!" avatar!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you need another Natalie Portman avatar. Use this one:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/jason_t712/nportman.jpg

DBowling
04-20-2005, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it was interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

it sounds interesting, did they ever come to a conclusion about whether or not it was possible?
also, why dont smart people try to recreate this vapor canopy in our atmosphere?

istewart
04-20-2005, 06:22 AM
wtf dude. I like her as much as anyone but that picture is crap. When I get back to my room I'll get a good one.

jason_t
04-20-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf dude. I like her as much as anyone but that picture is crap. When I get back to my room I'll get a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtfmate. She's beautiful in that picture.

[censored]
04-20-2005, 06:23 AM
Ya I agree with Portman. The only reason I even thought to include her in Ms.OOT was because I remembered seeing her in your avatar.

[censored]
04-20-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtfmate. She's beautiful in that picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jason_t
04-20-2005, 06:26 AM
How about this one?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/jason_t712/nportman2.jpg

jesusarenque
04-20-2005, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the Bible, he lived to be 969 years old. The common explaination is that the Bible is full of [censored].
GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Jazza
04-20-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
According to the Bible, he lived to be 969 years old. The common explaination is that there was a protective layer of water vapor in the Earth's atmosphere at this time, which made our planet's conditions much different and protected us from external radiation and what not, thereby allowing for lifespans of hundred of years. This canopy would be released during the great Biblical flood and lifespans went down very quickly thereafter. There was a thread on physicsforums a while back on whether or not such a canopy was physically possible and they went into a lot of equations and higher level math and physics stuff that was a bit above my head, but it was interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

so the theory is if this canopy were re-created that humans will be able to live 100's of years? or does the theory say we have evolved in a way not to be able to do this?

BadBoyBenny
04-20-2005, 08:08 AM
A couple questions.

1.) Is this strictly part of a young earth theory or would Christians who believe in an old earth also believe that these people lived this old?

2.) Does this layer of water vapor somehow increase atmospheric pressure as well?

3.) Is this considered a reasonable explanation for why dinosaurs were so much larger than their modern day descendants?