PDA

View Full Version : What the f***

11t
04-20-2005, 01:36 AM
What the f***

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1500)
Button (t1400)
SB (t2400)
BB (t1400)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t900)
MP2 (t1400)
MP3 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t100) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t100) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t100) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t1480 (All-In)</font>, Hero...

Apathy
04-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Unless you know this person to be an idiot, or have some reason to believe they are tilting etc. just lay this down.

LBJ
04-20-2005, 01:42 AM
You need to call. No sense in folding a set with no flush out there. If he slowplayed the straight on the turn, then he will take it down...nothing you can do about it. Call.

tjh
04-20-2005, 02:21 AM
I wonder if a case could not be made that you made an error before the river.

I count 12 checks in a row. That is a lot of checking. If aggression pays then wouldn't a bet to "see where you were at" prevent this from happening. I mean this guy might have some crazy steal strategy, or he is bored, or it is early. Because of all this checking it is impossible to make any judgement about possible hands that he might have. I would bet the turn with any pocket pair even underpair after so much checking. Looking at this it looks like the second hand or something so expect mayhem.

The turn looks to me like the lost chance. I would bet here. If they think you are representing a J then they will fight back if they have a Q, also A-rag might have checked the flop. If they do not raise you probably would chase someone out and at least you would have a feel for where you stand when the river hits.

--
tjh

LeVoodoo
04-20-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you know this person to be an idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

He did push 1480 into an 80 pot, didn't he?

illab
04-20-2005, 02:34 AM
80% I see a crazy overbet like that, its a weak hand like a draw or a low pair. The other 20% they are protecting a good hand from draws. Obviously, since this is the river, draws are not an issue. I dont think Ive ever seen anyone bet like that with the nuts, it doesnt make a lot of sense. Id have to call.

11t
04-20-2005, 02:38 AM
are you suggesting i bet into a multiperson pot with 3 overcards with 55?

Are you high?

Shilly
04-20-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
are you suggesting i bet into a multiperson pot with 3 overcards with 55?

Are you high?

[/ QUOTE ]

You played it fine.

I call.

RobertC
04-20-2005, 02:50 AM
UTG+1 either limped with A-A or Q-Q and then decided to slow play his set; limped with J-J and was going for the check raise on the turn; or made two pair with the five on the river. Because 3 of the 5's are already accounted for it seems more likely that you are up against a higher set.

But even if you think there's a high probability that he's bluffing, does it make sense to risk your whole stack early in a tournament when someone way over bets the pot?

LeVoodoo
04-20-2005, 03:07 AM
To limp with aces or queens, hit a set on the flop, check it down to the river, then push on the river would be the absolute worst way to play a hand, ever. The guy is most likely trying to buy the pot, or just hit his two pair with Q5 or something. Whichever it is, this guy is a twonk, and you must call.

strelok
04-20-2005, 03:11 AM
For all you know he could have made a 5 high straight now.

DasLeben
04-20-2005, 03:16 AM
What buyin is this? I've seen plenty of moves like this at the 11s, and 9 times out of 10 it's someone trying to pick up the pot.

gasgod
04-20-2005, 03:36 AM
I think he has made 2 horrible blunders:

First, he called in early position with 34s.
Second, he made a ridiculous overbet.

Give him a chance to make the third blunder. (Showing his cards when everybody folds)

GG

Apathy
04-20-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To limp with aces or queens, hit a set on the flop, check it down to the river, then push on the river would be the absolute worst way to play a hand, ever. The guy is most likely trying to buy the pot, or just hit his two pair with Q5 or something. Whichever it is, this guy is a twonk, and you must call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its more likely hes got K-10, missed his check raise on the turn then thought, what the hell, no point picking up 80 extra chips with a value bet, maybe some idiot will call me if i push.

I hope you didn't call.

john_
04-20-2005, 05:08 AM
With no read on the villian I find calling here difficult. However, if he's done this overbet a couple times I'm definitely leaning towards calling...

gasgod
04-20-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its more likely hes got K-10, missed his check raise on the turn then thought, what the hell, no point picking up 80 extra chips with a value bet, maybe some idiot will call me if i push.

I hope you didn't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad theory. Interesting that both Broadway and a wheel are possibilities.

GG

raptor517
04-20-2005, 06:00 AM
depends on the buy in. anything up to a 55 i probably call just too see what the hell he had. curiousity.. i duno, i dont think im ahead here TOO often, but i also dont think im behind all that often either to make it a CLEAR fold. i call because im curiuos. if thats not good poker i dont know what is. holla

SNOWBALL138
04-20-2005, 06:52 AM
In general, its good to keep in mind what Brunson says about NL holdem: "Never go broke in an unraised pot". In that instance, he was talking about laying down pocket deuces on a J-4-2 flop. However, Brunson says in the beginning of the chapter that his advice applies when you are playing against top players.

If he's a good player, then this is a fold. If you have no read on the player and you are playing a low buy-in call.

The reason is that the pot is small. B/C the pot is small, villain's monster hand is worth a lot more than a value bet, which would be less than 60. a bet of 60 will get called almost 100 percent of the time, so its EV is ~60 (remember, if he's a good player, he's holding the nuts here)

Instead, he resolves to bet all in. Even is this gets called only 10 percent of the time, the bet is still +CEV.

If the pot were about 6 times what is is here for instance, then an all in bet would be more likely be be a bluff, because a value bet would then become more valuable.

Against a bad player though, you have to call. The bad player is trying to give you his chips. Why stop him?

GtrHtr
04-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Depending on the buy in....

I would say that your man has hit 2 pair although K10 is not out of the question, 34 seems very unlikely.

Stupid bet, but I'd take the chance and call.

zipppy
04-20-2005, 09:43 AM
If it's a low enough buy in, someone with KQ might be scared to bet into the pot on the flop or turn, but by the river assume no one has an ace and bet big to buy it. I know it's dumb, but we've all seen worse.

Roswell
04-20-2005, 09:46 AM
I sometimes make a ridiculous overbet on the river when I back into the nuts. Most of the time everyone folds, but sometimes you double up. If he is a thinking player, I would guess he had 34s and made a wheel on the last card.