PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan 86-87 Fleer RC--is this a good deal?

tdarko
04-20-2005, 12:49 AM
i need the help of my fellow 2+2'ers. i have read past threads and there are some of you out there that know your stuff and can help my with some insight and/or advice.

A very close friend of mine is offering me 2K for my 86-87 fleer jordan rookie card. the last time i checked it was only worth about $900 or so and had been declining in value each year (like most trading cards). this much money sounds like a great deal but am i missing something?

i am wondering if he knows something i dont. is the value of sports cards gonna be on the rise again? are jordan cards gonna go back up? jordan will be inducted into the HOF soon--will that make this card more valuable?

this is a very close friend of mine and he is a very avid collector and i have sold him (cheaply/under value) sports cards and memorabillia before. i know how much this stuff means to him wheras it doesnt mean that much to me anymore except for the MJ rc b/c it was going to be something i was going to keep and eventually give it to a future child. so i am kind of on both sides of the plate with this; i don't want to make one of my best friends pay 2K for a $900 value but i also don't want to give it up if its going to be like a mantle rc in 20 years.

any thoughts?

wacki
04-20-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't want to make one of my best friends pay 2K for a $900 value but i also don't want to give it up if its going to be like a mantle rc in 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

2K for a card?

How old/how much does your friend make?

nolanfan34
04-20-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm assuming that you haven't had it professionally graded.

That being the case, if someone, friend or not, wants to pay $2000 for it, they could not write the check quickly enough for me. I would sell an ungraded one at that price in a heartbeat.

There simply aren't any cards which will ever reach the level of a 52 Mantle anymore, based on production runs alone. That, coupled with the tremendous numbers of counterfeit Jordan rookies out there, limits the potential growth in the price.

I would certainly sell it for that price.

tdarko
04-20-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How old/how much does your friend make?

[/ QUOTE ]
he is 24, it's his second year out of SMU and he makes $86K a year. he interned at the job for 6 years before he got out of school so that helped. plus he is a certified genius which helps as well.

handsome
04-20-2005, 01:00 AM
I will give you $50 for it

tdarko
04-20-2005, 01:02 AM
no i haven't had it graded but i keep it in my back pocket wherever i go so i am sure it's mint /images/graemlins/wink.gif

nolanfan34
04-20-2005, 01:02 AM
To elaborate further, check out this. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58000&item=5186984 354&rd=1) That's a very nice graded version of his rookie. The sports card market has completely moved this direction, if something isn't graded it's almost impossible to get full book value for it.

The chance of your Jordan being graded higher than this is pretty low, unless it's in immaculate condition. So I can't figure out why your friend would pay $2000 for it.

DeezNuts
04-20-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
plus he is a certified genius which helps as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

never sell anything to a genius. especially if you are a moron.

DN

Dead
04-20-2005, 01:22 AM
I have a Mussina rookie card. PSA 10.

I am not selling it. It is worth only $22 according to Beckett, but it is worth much more than that to me.

mantasm
04-20-2005, 01:23 AM
where can i pick up my genius certificate?

tdarko
04-20-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
never sell anything to a genius. especially if you are a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]
this applies in this situation.

manpower
04-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Jesus, I've got a Jordan rookie card. I have no idea what brand, but I'm sure it's in the shoebox somewhere. Guess I better dig that stuff out.