PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Rules?

LaneMyer
04-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Hey Guys,

Long time reader, first post here.
Wish my first post could have a bit more substance, but actually a request. I am attending a company function, and the brass has decided that a small holdem tournament may be a nice addition to the ordinary events.
Just wondering if anyone had any links to a basic list of holdem rules / hand rankings etc...
In addition, what sort of structure would you suggest? There will be about 40 people participating, so I figure start with stacks of 1500, blinds increase every half hour or so...any ideas/thought would be appreciated.

Thanks

CardSharpCook
04-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Back in Rosenthall Hall, me and the boys would play tourneys that would increase blinds not based on time, but based on the number of people left. That way, being shortstacked matter, but you were never worried about the increasing blinds AND the betting amounts changed, but they did not change relative to the stacks. Looking back on it, I think it was a really cool way to structure a tourney. Thoughts?

As for your question, don't know of any links but...

Str8 flush
4 of a kind
Full house
Flush
Str8
3 of a kind
2 pair
Pair
High card

SB and BB are the first two left of the dealer and are the last two to act PF and the first two to act after the flop. Starting with a BB that is 2.5% of stack is acceptable, but for most of the tourney you'd like the BB to be around 5% of an avg stack IMHO. I doubt you boys want to be sitting around playing Holdem all day, so you probably should shorten up the levels to 15-20 mins. Maybe 15 to start and 20 after the first hour. With 50 people and holdem being a small part of the company gathering, higher blinds and shorter levels may be the order of the day.

CSC