PDA

View Full Version : hey golfers

cnfuzzd
04-19-2005, 10:41 PM
so despite swearing up and down for years that i would never play golf i finally decided to give in and played on sunday. Im hooked. So i need a set of clubs. Im not very good, having only actually swung a golf club once (underhand anyway) before sunday. I didnt do too shabby, and we won our scramble, but i still suck. Would you recommen just getting something from a used sporting good store, or perhaps springing for one of the set listed here (http://www.golfdiscount.com/Search.bok?category=mens%20clubs&keyword=package)

any help appreciated

peace

john nickle

kerssens
04-19-2005, 10:45 PM
I started with one of those starter sets, have since moved on but I'd recommend them and the cheaper the better. It doesn't really matter what you're swinging when you're just starting.

kerssens
04-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Actually, my first set was my dad's 20 year old clubs..I bought a starter set after the head of the 5-iron broke off.

Rushmore
04-19-2005, 10:48 PM
The worm has definitely turned for you. Congratulations.

Go to a used place like Play It Again Sports, or maybe try Callowaypreowned.com or Golfclubexchange.com.

Here's the best advice you'll ever get: Don't swing hard. Swing nice and easy. It's the mechanics of the swing that moves the ball, not your big muscles.

Enjoy!!

ucfryan
04-19-2005, 10:54 PM
What's your price range/how often do you plan on playing?

HDPM
04-19-2005, 10:54 PM
I would get an excellent putter. Read some things about different kinds of putters, and by that I mean heel shaft styles vs. more center shafted face balanced putters. But get something good with some weight. Then 3 or 4 excellent wedges. Top of the line. Then get a set of irons. Something to start with. You can get decent ones off of the website you linked for like $299. Then practice and get lessons. Then get a fairway wood. Then maybe a hybrid club. After a while think about a driver.

The pros around here may disagree. But my opinion is to get good wedges and putters. Make sure to devote a lot of time to the short game. You will want to hit balls, but hit a lot of little shots. And a whole lot of putts. You can do without a driver, but get a good putter.

Inthacup
04-19-2005, 10:55 PM
It's the mechanics of the swing that moves the ball, not your big muscles.

2000Flushes can disprove this.

holeplug
Yeah just get something really cheap for now (borrowing someones old clubs works too). Clubs don't really matter just play alot until you start to hit the ball fairly well everytime you swing. Then get lessons.

kenberman
a good used set is a nice way to go.

you'll have clubs you can use for a while w/o spending a lot.

I bought King Cobra SSi irons, a cobra 3 wood, and a cobra 5 wood last year (all used) for $350, and I'm happy with them all.

JTrout
04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
I agree that you should spend little to begin with.
You'll probably change (if you stay hooked!)

The second set (tour edge) seems like a good deal, especially with bag included.

Good prices can be had on eBay.
The best deal may be had from a friend that has upgraded.

I make clubs from components. If I made you a quality set, and sold it to you at my cost + shipping + $30 bucks, it probably wouldn't beat the deals mentioned above.

I'll check eBay and see what I can.

Leo99
04-19-2005, 11:00 PM
check this out (http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp?SUBCATEGORY_ID=5510)

Sponger15SB
04-19-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that another one of you and 2kf's gay, sexual innuendos or are we actually talking about golf?

JTrout
04-19-2005, 11:09 PM
irons on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36218&item=7149858 360&rd=1)

_2000Flushes
04-19-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that another one of you and 2kf's gay, sexual innuendos or are we actually talking about golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Inthacup isn't my type. I dig the soft little twenty-something boys like AA and yourself.

-2kF

purnell
04-19-2005, 11:17 PM
For now, your clubs are not very important. I see lots of links to discount golf places, all fine sources. Just make sure you get the right length.

Instruction will help you enjoy the game more. If you don't want to pay for personal instruction, I recommend a book entitled "Six Days to Better Golf, by Harry Obitz and Dick Farley. It's old and out of print, but you can find it used on amazon, etc. The method they use is still the quickest and most sound way for a beginner to learn the fundamentals of golf, IMO.

siccjay
04-19-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm in the exact same boat as you, thanks for the thread.

I used to swear golf sucked and I'd never play, now I can't wait to play a real round.

JTrout
04-19-2005, 11:22 PM
The biggest problem I see with most folks' clubs is slick grips.

I changed a set of grips today that had been on 15 years!

Inthacup
04-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I was talking about golf. I've never seen anyone fly the green on more par 4s than my innuendo-ridden friend 2kf.

touchfaith
04-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Definately go to Callowaypreowned.com and check out a set of 2002 or 2003 Big Bertha irons.

Great starter set

gvibes
04-19-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The biggest problem I see with most folks' clubs is slick grips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm experimenting with new grips (my Winn V17's lasted about 20 rounds). I just installed a selection of gripmaster grips. Real leather maybe.

[ QUOTE ]
Definately go to Callowaypreowned.com and check out a set of 2002 or 2003 Big Bertha irons.

Great starter set

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. You can go with older models as well.

Also, pretty much any Mizuno or Titleist oversized irons will be very nice and very forgiving. Old Mizuno T-Zoids would be a very nice route.

Lestat
04-19-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is recommending a used set. If you're hooked, then get yourself a decent set that will last you a while.

Don't go overboard and spend a lot of money. You're swing speed will surely change as you progress and you'll probably want stiffer shafts. But get yourself a decent set and a decent bag. It will be good for your mentality and good for your game.

JTrout
04-19-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definately go to Callowaypreowned.com

[/ QUOTE ]
(no "o" in callaway)
http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

Lestat
04-19-2005, 11:49 PM
I think the last thing he should spend a lot of money on is a putter. I know scratch players who go through more putters than I do golf shoes. A putter is a very personalized thing. It will take him time to figure out what he's comfortable with. Same goes for different degree wedges. He should probably just use the pitching wedge that comes with his set and pick out a cheap sand iron. These are also clubs that you change quite often as your game improves.

Lestat
04-19-2005, 11:52 PM
<font color="red">I changed a set of grips today that had been on 15 years! </font>

Yikes! How were these clubs not sailing from your hands? I have my grips changed every year.

JTrout
04-19-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yikes! How were these clubs not sailing from your hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't playing them! They were a new student's. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
He had to put a death grip on the club just to hang on to it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ps. guess which way the ball was going?!

cnfuzzd
04-20-2005, 12:13 AM
on a similiar note...

ive ordered the book that was mentioned above, but im not quite ready to spring for lessons. anyone have any good webpages marked that have good tips for the begining golfer?

i will be googling, but since we were already discussin it...

peace

john nickle

JTrout
04-20-2005, 12:17 AM
http://www.pgatour.com/practicetee

http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/

ArchAngel71857
04-20-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they usually stick to gay, asexual or nonsexual innuendos.

As for 2kf's drive . . . . a list of what I have witnessed:

1. Sparks ignited from his driver making contact with the ball.

2. Club heads flying off and going further than the ball. me=1, he=1. My reason? unglued Tight Lies piece of [censored]. his reason? "club wasn't made to swing that hard."

3. Course rating = 70.9. Slope=128. average par 4 = 390 yards. average par 5 = 490. Average time 2kf is chipping/putting backward for less than par - 6.
<font color="white"> Times made = 0 </font>

4. 406 yard par 4. Chip back for eagle.

5. Clubhead speed measured by pro when determing appropriate shaft stiffness: <font color="white"> I mean his dick sponger. TEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE. BEING GAY IS THE NEW COOL! </font>

120 mph.

-AA

HDPM
04-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Nothing is worse than a cheap putter. Yeah, he will buy more of them. So what. Do you want to learn a stroke with a cameron or a 14.99 wal mart putter that weighs nothing and has too much loft or whatever. Putter is the last thing to skimp on IMO. Wedges too. I got a good sand wedge almost 25 years ago. I tried to find something better, but it is in my bag now. Was it expensive or not to get a good one? It was my first sand wedge and I never had to replace it. I might tinker again and get a different 4 wedge arrangement, but we'll see. I have just hit too many shots with the old one to let it go easily.

Lestat
04-20-2005, 11:58 AM
$14.99 isn't a putter, it's a toy. I'm not saying he should be THAT cheap. But I don't think he should spend a lot of $$. Putters are very different in looks and feel. I think it makes sense to hold off until he knows what he's most comfortable with. Some like a light feel, some heavy. Some like a big offset, some not. etc. etc. I still don't know what I like.. I have 4 putters and I'll change off on at least twice a year whenever I start to struggle with my putting.

Looks can also be important. I had a friend who spent a fortune on a new set of custom Pings. I tried them out and wouldn't give you a nickel for the entire set! They were so ugly it threw my swing off every time I looked down to address the ball! Golf's a funny game.

turnipmonster
04-20-2005, 12:16 PM
wow way to jump the shark.

cflynn
04-20-2005, 12:28 PM
I was in the exact same situation that you were in last year. my rec would be to get the cheapest clubs you can, and spend whatever money you have left over on lessons. Best time to take them is before you develop bad habits. You develop bad habits from DIY.

This way you win on two levels. You learn how to hit the ball straight with the lousy clubs and lessons = win number one. Then you buy decent clubs and start crushing the ball == win #2.

Also, as you start to play more, be prepared to start obsessing about what the weather is going to be like and thinking things like "how accurate can the seven day forecast that says rain on saturday morning be?"

kerssens
04-20-2005, 12:31 PM
I look for the day after and day before buffer.

beerbandit
04-20-2005, 01:39 PM
just go to a pro shop -- not the one at a golg course, they usually will cost more there -- explain your situation to someone, and let them know you want to hit some clubs --- try as many different sets as you want, thats what they are there for

its hard to recomend clubs for someone else, everyone is different and some players the way a club looks is very important

golf can be very fun, dont take it to seriously and have a good time --- drink some beers

cheers

shawn_p
04-21-2005, 04:12 AM
I didn’t bother to read any of the of the previouas responses, but I don’t care. If it hasn’t been recommended before buy the cheapest set of clubs you can get your hands on. You are by your own description a crappy golfer you don’t need a high end set of clubs yet. You are not good enough to take advantage of the edge a good set of clubs give you.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eric5148
04-23-2005, 08:24 PM
It really doesn't matter what brand of clubs you get, as long as they're in decent condition and not knockoffs.

The important things to do are:

1 - Get regular (R) flex shafts. Swing easy and focus on just making decent contact with the ball at first. As you get better, you'll swing faster and then can go to stiff shafts.

2 - DON'T use a driver until you can hit a 3 wood 200 yards consistently.

3 - Don't use an iron lower than a 5. Get 3, 5, and 7 woods to replace the long irons.

4 - Learn how to get the ball in the hole first (short game). Then learn the mechanics of the full swing.

5 - Find a public course in your area that has practice greens for putting and chipping. They might not even make you pay the greens fee just to chip around for a few hours. Practicing your short game is fun, especially for lazy people. I usually play a nine hole course, then practice my short game for at least an hour. I don't hit the ball very far off the tee (240-250 yards) but I can shoot in the high 70s because I have a good short game.

6 - Watch golf on TV. Pay particular attention to the rhythm of the pros' swings. I used to stand in front of the TV with a club and swing in synchronization with Fred Couples or Vijay Singh.

7 - Make sure you get a sand wedge, and don't use any other club from a greenside bunker. I won't explain how it works, because it would just confuse a beginner.

Golf is awesome, you're going to love it. Good luck.