PDA

View Full Version : reraising AK preflop

amoeba
04-19-2005, 09:44 PM
are you more likely to reraise AK out of position preflop or do it in position?

both has its merits.

if you reraise out of position, it gives you a chance to win it right there without having to flop a K or A but if you are called you have to play an inflated pot out of position and you are almost forced to bet the flop regardless of what flops.

zaxx19
04-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Just depends on who and in what position the original raise comes from, and how many players are already in the hand.

So like every poker question, it depends.

Im glad people in the forum are waking up to the fact that reraising with AK is sometimes correct.

Tuben
04-19-2005, 09:48 PM
I like to call whit AK if i have position. In tournaments i maybe even go all in if i dont have position .

So out of position . For me.

Tuben
04-19-2005, 09:50 PM
I even re rise whit AQ . Deppends on the situation .
Think it is a good play he might even fold AK /images/graemlins/smile.gif

theben
04-19-2005, 11:17 PM
definetly in position. its always better to be reraising in position. its a big advantage, acting last on the flop.

AncientPC
04-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Vs maniacs, tight-weaks, or in position.

BobboFitos
04-20-2005, 02:15 AM
just push it pf, i mean if you're called its prolly a coinflip anyway, hmm?

besides, playing postflop is just not my cup of tea

AncientPC
04-20-2005, 02:17 AM
So just buy in with 30BBs. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

xorbie
04-20-2005, 02:46 AM
I usually call with one or zero callers before me. If there are two or more callers already, or a lot of limpers behind the raiser than I will raise because I really don't want to be facing a huge pot with TPTK and 5 people see a flop.

OOP is almost opposite. With one or no callers to me and not a huge amount of raisers I will usually pop it up so that I can take control of the betting. Not a huge raise, but enough to let them know I'm strong.

If there are too many callers, I generally just call as well and get ready to fold TPTK to too much opposition.

ThePortuguee
04-20-2005, 03:08 AM
Thats correct, both have their merits, and I agree with the individual who pointed out that much depends on the player.

The nice thing about doing so in position is that your options, it seems to me, are more open (just like anything you do in position), if you like, you will probably be able to see four cards instead of 3 to try to pair your A or K. Or you can fire a barrel at the flop and probably see the river for free when the turn is checked to you. I like this second line better, unless you think a second barrel pushes your opponent off his hand.

The advantage to doing so from out of position is just what you said: that many players instantly think "Damn, he's got AA-QQ" when they see a substantial reraise, and when you fire at the flop (and you have to fire, I think, at almost any flop here), you might get him to muck hands that you're behind.

I have to say, though, I dont usually like reraising with AK, and if I'm going to do it I probably need to have the positional advantage, and reason to believe that that I'm reraising preflop with the best hand. I just think it's dangerous to start building huge pots with a hand that is, from my experience, much more likely to win a small pot than a big one.