PDA

View Full Version : 99 on the bubble to a miniraise steal attempt?

vinyard
04-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1715)
Button (t2490)
SB (t2515)
Hero (t3280)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3280 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t1315 (All-In).

Flop: (t5795) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t5795) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t5795) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5795

Background: The player in the small blind had been miniraising my blinds since the table went six handed and the blinds were sizeable enough that it was worth his time. We had all been stealing and I had built most of my stack through two showdowns - showing AK and QQ. I figured he has some reason to fold here as he would have two blind free hands if he folded and he and the current UTG would be dead even. His pot odds are great (3:1) to make this call so I was hesitant to push back and I wouldn't have called a push off the bat. If that was my thinking does it make any sense to push at him?

microbet
04-19-2005, 09:32 PM
If he had pushed, when would 99 be a good call?

If his pushing range were 66+, A7+ it is just barely not a call by ICM. Anything looser and it is a good call to his push. So, if you think that is his range it is probably a good push because of whatever tiny FE you have.

From what you are saying it sounds like his hand range is considerably wider, which would make it a clear push reraise.

That doesn't rule out a call, but a call seems bad too me since he would never fold post flop if he hit anything and you couldn't fold post flop either. But I suppose it could give you a chance to push him off a draw of just overcards.

vinyard
04-19-2005, 09:57 PM
I honestly think his range probably included any A (which was confirmed when he flipped A4c to my push), any two suited broadways, K9+ and nearly all pairs.

I need to either buy Eastbay's program or start using ICM.

I don't understnd miniraising psychology so I can't say what I would have bone to my push back if I were him but I suspected he knew he was behind when he made the call and did it for pot odds. A suited A at 3:1 would be tough for me to pass up a call on. I think I did have some miniscule folding equity with the push and I figured it was a conflip at worst against his conceivable range of hands.

Oh, and thanks for your input.