PDA

View Full Version : RANDOMNESS =GOD?

purnell
04-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Gather 'round, children, and heed my words: "god", for lack of a better word, is randomness, and randomness is "god".

1) Randomness pervades the universe. From brownian motion to the placement of the galaxies, randomness is the rule. You might go so far as to say that randomness is "all-encompassing", which is a word that we might choose to use in a definition of the word "god".

2) Randomness is omnipresent in our lives. Everything that occurs without human intervention, it would seem, is a "random" event.

This of course would make god very different from humans, as opposed to our being made in the image of god. (This concept never made sense to me. To what end would an anthropomorphic god create images (dolls?) of herself?)

Not only do we perceive ourselves as different from randomness, but we also (think?) we are at odds with it, and it appears to be a formidable foe. This would seem to answer the "If god is god, why does (x) happen?" question. Randomness doesn't care (if I may assume).

Conclusion?

Now we have randomness omnipresent, and (more or less) omnipotent (A "random" event, say a large comet colliding with the Earth, could certainly wipe out our species).

What else do we need? A physical entity? Reason? Will? If we need any of these to define a "god", then randomness does not qualify. Do we?

ThaSaltCracka
04-19-2005, 08:20 PM
what?

purnell
04-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Just puttin' it out there, hopin' I might learn somethin'.

ThaSaltCracka
04-19-2005, 08:24 PM
This ish is way over my head, sorry bro.

stabn
04-19-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hopin' I might learn somethin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this is OOT right?

Joe826
04-19-2005, 08:29 PM
- I'm not sure something can qualify as being omnipotent without intention. I mean totally pervasive yes, but there seems to be a difference between the two. That's a difference for you.

- Everything is NOT random. What about things like causation and other laws of nature? Are you saying they just "randomly" appear? I don't get it.

Riskwise
04-19-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only do we perceive ourselves as different from randomness, but we also (think?) we are at odds with it

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the greatest pun i have ever heard, regardless if it was intended. And any profitable poker player is obviously against the swings of the game. And if the swings of the game are random, that would mean they are god (or gods work). So if we are against gods work, we must be the anti-christ. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Alobar
04-19-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hopin' I might learn somethin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this is OOT right?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah really, I mean what does this have to do with masturbation, or the fact uma isnt worthy of licking on my nuts?? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

purnell
04-19-2005, 08:31 PM
This qualifies, I've learned in this forum before. There could be some folks who are moved to think about this and argue one way or the other. If not, I haven't lost much, and I might get a few laughs out of it.

Kinda like bettin' my busted draw on the end. You gonna raise me?

stabn
04-19-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You gonna raise me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you take it all off baby.

purnell
04-19-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- I'm not sure something can qualify as being omnipotent without intention. I mean totally pervasive yes, but there seems to be a difference between the two. That's a difference for you.

- Everything is NOT random. What about things like causation and other laws of nature? Are you saying they just "randomly" appear? I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basic physics dictates that power icludes force and direction. Direction is not will, though.

The etymology the word "omnipotent" doesn't seem to imply will. It is from the Latin omni (all) and posse (to be able).

Of course the world behaves according to natural law. But exactly when, say, a treelimb breaks in a storm, is random, or so I think. Most of the weeds in my yard are there because the wind or a bird (both of which arguably behave randomly) brought it's seed there. The closer you look, the more randomness you will see.

purnell
04-19-2005, 09:03 PM
I hope not. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

edit: The pun must have jumped straight outta my pipe and into the computer. I now wish I could take cretit/blame.

jakethebake
04-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Psychology (aka religion) forum.

Joe826
04-19-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course the world behaves according to natural law. But exactly when, say, a treelimb breaks in a storm, is random, or so I think. Most of the weeds in my yard are there because the wind or a bird (both of which arguably behave randomly) brought it's seed there. The closer you look, the more randomness you will see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, omnipotent basically means "able to do anything". This includes any specific thing at any specific time. If "randomness" is omnipotent, it would need volition of some sort in order to bring about act p at time t. Randomness has no volition. That's the difference between the traditional conception of God and yours.

Your tree branch doesn't fall in your yard at a "random" time, it's falling is brought about by a very very long casual chain.

purnell
04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Good point.

bholdr
04-19-2005, 09:50 PM
"god does not play dice"

-einstien

"there is no god, dummy!"

-bholdr.

SpearsBritney
04-19-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, omnipotent basically means "able to do anything". This includes any specific thing at any specific time. If "randomness" is omnipotent, it would need volition of some sort in order to bring about act p at time t. Randomness has no volition. That's the difference between the traditional conception of God and yours.

Your tree branch doesn't fall in your yard at a "random" time, it's falling is brought about by a very very long causal chain.

[/ QUOTE ]

irony (http://www.answers.com/casual&r=67)

purnell
04-19-2005, 09:53 PM
There, see? I learned sumthin'. And had a few laughs. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

shadow29
04-19-2005, 09:55 PM
BrownThumb?

heavybody
04-19-2005, 10:10 PM
no [censored] ...what the [censored] is he trying to say.