PDA

View Full Version : AK Theoretical - Raise the flop for a free card?

mannika
04-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Here's a theoretical situation in which I think I may be losing some money.

Typical 3/6 PP

Hero has AK in CO.

2 limpers to you, you raise, BB and limpers call, 4 to the flop for 8SB.

Flop is rainbow garbage (J83 or something).
Check, Bet, Call, Hero???

Assume that players are fairly passive and will give you a free card on the turn 75% of the time and 3-bet you 10% of the time or something.

Lately I've been in the habit of raising for a free card here. Is this the default play for most of you on a ragged board? If not, what is your default play, and when would you consider raising for the free card?

Emmitt2222
04-19-2005, 04:08 PM
You are most likely behind at this point because they are passive and betting on a very uncoordinated board into the pf raiser. If the bet came from my immediate right I would raise to clean up my overcards and get a freecard, but because I can't do that I would just call. Just remember that although your cards look nice pf, all you have now is a weak draw which could possibly be even worse off than a gutshot so I wouldn't want to raise.

imported_CaseClosed326
04-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I would raise here then. Try and get your free card and either hit or get to a show down as cheeply as possible. I don't see any other way of playing this.

27offsooot
04-19-2005, 04:20 PM
I call here pretty much always. Given your %, i'm sure someone could calculate the EV either way, but my default is to call the flop/ fold the turn to another bet.