PDA

View Full Version : Home Improvement #2.Help?

OrangeHeat
04-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Ok so we went with a paver patio for the new house. Now I am looking at the trees in my yard and have decided to landscape around them so I don't have to mow/trim in their immediate vicinity.

The question becomes should I use mulch, or 1.5 inch Round river rock, or round pea gravel? Also why would be helpful. Thanks.

swede123
04-19-2005, 01:47 PM
The bark dust/cedar chips type of thing is OK, but I think river rock looks much classier. In fact, I am also planning to tear up some of the lawn where the grass is growing poorly, and replacing it with river rock. The one downside I see is cost, the river rock option will cost you twice as much at least.

Cheers,

Swede

beerbandit
04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
it really depends on the look you want --- if you are going to maintain the bark chips, then i think that will look good --- if they get old and lose their color they do not look so good

i really prefer the look of stone though

how did the pavers turn out?

cheers

OrangeHeat
04-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Pavers go in May 10th - Should take 2 weeks. I will post pics when done.

Stone is sounding better as I want low maintenance. Checked prices and here it is about the same as mulch.

Am I right in assuming Landscape fabric with stone on top = low maintenance?

Thanks,

Orange

Leo99
04-19-2005, 10:31 PM
You have to replenish the mulch ever year or two. Costs about $30 a cubic yard bulk or you can buy in bags at Home Depot. I like the goose egg rocks. Put down landscape cloth to keep weeds out and then a quick spray with Round Up onto any weeds on a bimonthly basis throughout the season keeps it looking nice. I put down a combo of mulch and goose eggs in my yard.

TStoneMBD
04-19-2005, 10:35 PM
mulch and pea gravel look cheap. river rock is sexy.

beerbandit
04-20-2005, 03:32 PM
the fabric or plastic will make keeping the area clean much easier

the fabric and plastic sometimes get torn during installation or maybe if gets walked on which may cause some weeds to be able to come through

i think that stone is a better choice

cheers