PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like I Owe Jimbo A Cold One

HDPM
11-06-2002, 11:55 AM
A while back I posted that I thought the Nov. elections looked bad for Republicans. I was hoping I was wrong, and Jimbo told me I was definitely wrong. Well, I was wrong. So catch up with me to get an adult beverage or two out of me Jimbo.

John Cole
11-06-2002, 12:22 PM
HDPM,

I don't drink much, but you could buy me three or four. Sigh. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

John

Jimbo
11-06-2002, 02:12 PM
HDPM,

Tis very kind of you to remember the thread we discussed. Needless to say I am very pleased with the results of yesterdays election results. Our Republic is back on track towards accomplishing the goals established by our founding fathers. The democrats will now have little choice but to join in some judicial confirmation votes and either vote to keep the tax decreases previously passed or else risk the loss of more influence in the House and Senate.

I will gladly join you for that cold one HDPM. I plan on being at this years WSOP, perhaps I can collect there.

Jimbo

11-06-2002, 02:28 PM
i am sure there are a lot of democrats out there (andy fox you know who i mean :-)" and as a republican myself i am curious as to what the democrats think went wrong and if your party made any big mistakes.

Pat

andyfox
11-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Bad candidates. Here in California, for example, the republican candidate for governor ran the worst campaign possible and still only fell 4% short.

I don't think people necessarily vote for the party so much as for the candidate. So the fact that one party wins or one party loses is a more or less accidental outcome of the strength or wekaness, overall, of the candidates.

But if I'm wrong about that, then the "leadership" of the democratic party (and I use the word leadership lightly) is very weak and can take some of the blame. There's nobody who can rally the troups, who has any charisma or leadership ability. Daschle is a bore, so is Gephardt, and Gore is an embarrassment. The governor of California, by definition, should be a potential prsidential candidate, but there's a reason why his first name is Gray.

I think Bush will win again in 2004 and his brother will win in 2008.

whiskeytown
11-06-2002, 03:18 PM
I can tell you what they did wrong here in MN...

Wellstone was a shoo-in, and so was Mondale...but that political memorial/rally they held the Thurs. b4 the election was the cake.

When you have a political memorial, and people are BOOING Republican senators who have come to pay their respects, that says a lot to people.

I think a lot of people who were undecided made up their minds after seeing the shameful and selfish ways of the Minnesota DFL party. Ventura walked out angry at being duped into attending a political rally.

Coleman is a good candidate, but let's face it...Mondale is super popular in this state (only state he took in the '84 election)

Biggest thing the Dems did wrong was show their true colors...LOL..

RB

Jimbo
11-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Below is my prediction form a post made on 8/22/02:

"My picks for the November election follows:
The republican majority will continue in the House with an extra seat or two added. The Senate will revert back to republican control with a count of 51 to 48 to 1 (independent)."

Looks like I underestimated the Republican gains in the house by one and am pretty much correct on the slim Senate Republican majority depending on the outcome of the Louisiana runoff.

Jimbo

scalf
11-06-2002, 05:04 PM
/forums/images/icons/mad.gif my wife refused to sit the dogs...she says i am too sick to go off to some gambling hall in new england and stat up all night gambling....so i took the pooches to the vets to board...they refused to get out..even with a choke collar...both went back in the king cab part and gave me evil looks....sooooo..i love them pooches...looking into a doggie resort hotel...but fer now...i will not be up in foxwoods this weekend...strom thurmond turns 100..pretty soon now...lindsay graham...who led the impeachment of clinton...grahams ads featured his dem opponent as "close friends with teddy kennedy and hillary..." lol gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

HDPM
11-06-2002, 05:19 PM
Our dog hates being boarded at the vets and for good reason. We take him to a place where he gets to play with other dogs and has the lady who runs it wrapped around his paw well enough he gets to play in her yard, not just the dog yard. He drags you in when we go to her place and fights to get away from the vets. Find a good place to board. I have also found backup places around here for when our top pick is all full. The guys who train hunting dogs will often take them. This is good because my dog hthen has other big spastic dogs to play with.

Ed Miller
11-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Yup.. I too think that the memorial service lost the election for Mondale. I was almost certain that Mondale would win and was really surprised when he didn't despite the tasteless memorial service.

In other news... while last night was no doubt a successful night for Republicans... I find it hard to understand why people seem to think that Republicans have a "mandate." They have a razor thin margin in the Senate, a thin margin in the House, and President Bush won (lost?) by the thinnest of margins as well. They lost some ground with respect to governors. The idea that last night's election demonstrates that Americans are fully behind the Republican agenda is silly... the country is almost evenly divided, just as it was in 2000.

snakehead
11-06-2002, 06:12 PM
I think Bush will win again in 2004 and his brother will win in 2008.

please, not while I'm eating.

andyfox
11-06-2002, 09:26 PM
You can eat and post at the same time? I'll steer clear of the 80-160 game. . .

Regards,
Andy

Ray Zee
11-06-2002, 10:47 PM
hdpm, you and scalf, with the uncontrollable mutts need some down to earth advice. put in a doggie door and build a 6 foot high kennel around it and let them go in and out of the house. saves lots of headaches with letting them out to poop. plus if you need to go away someone can just come and feed them everyday and you can relax without worrying about your worthless fidos. send them to me for two weeks training and you will kiss my feet after seeing what your beloved pooches will act like.

HDPM
11-06-2002, 10:54 PM
I'll send him if you promise to break another expensive fly rod over his thick skull. I won't kiss your feet, but I will gladly buy you several cold ones if you can shape up my dog. At the worst it will be a 2 week vacation for us. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

HDPM
11-06-2002, 11:02 PM
I sometimes make it out there in the spring while the WSOP is going on, so we'll see. If there's another 2+2 seminar I will try to go. Can't know if the dates will work this early etc... Maybe I'll wear one of my Republican lapel pins. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

whiskeytown
11-06-2002, 11:39 PM
I don't know that mandate is the right word,

But it's very rare for the party running the White House to gain House/Senate seats in a midterm election. Hasn't happen since 1902...

RB

scalf
11-07-2002, 09:15 AM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif how do you train your wife?..now if ya got an answer to that...lol...gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

John Cole
11-07-2002, 01:48 PM
Ray,

Install a doggie door? Build a fence? You mean you'd like to rob HDPM, scalf, and me of one of the few real pleasures we have in life?

John

Ray Zee
11-07-2002, 08:45 PM
no, sorry my mistake. i can see now you guys need what you are getting.