04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
It's Ratzinger.

Dead
04-19-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's Ratzinger.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sucks a lot.

Ratzinger was a member of the Hitler Youth. They couldn't have picked a worse choice.

partygirluk
04-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Erm, membership was compulsory.

Dead
04-19-2005, 12:53 PM
BS.

It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others The Ratzingers were young and had made a different choice.

benfranklin
04-19-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others The Ratzingers were young and had made a different choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incoherent Sentence of the Day award.

[ QUOTE ]
In 1937 Ratzinger’s father retired and the family moved to Traunstein, a staunchly Catholic town in Bavaria close to the Führer’s mountain retreat in Berchtesgaden. He joined the Hitler Youth aged 14, shortly after membership was made compulsory in 1941.

He quickly won a dispensation on account of his training at a seminary. “Ratzinger was only briefly a member of the Hitler Youth and not an enthusiastic one,” concluded John Allen, his biographer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds pretty dangerous to me. He willl probably have the College of Cardinals goose-stepping through St. Peter's Square in no time.

BCPVP
04-19-2005, 01:25 PM
And what would have happened to him had he "resisted"?

[ QUOTE ]
When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he was required by law to join the Hitler Youth , but according to his biographer John Allen he was not an enthusiastic member. In 1943, at the age of 16 he was, along with the rest of his class, drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps, responsible for the guarding of a BMW plant outside Munich. He was then sent for basic infantry training and was posted to Hungary, where he worked setting up anti-tank defences until he deserted in April 1944 (an offence punishable by death).

[/ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_Ratzinger
Feel better?

benfranklin
04-19-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps,

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha!! He was a terrorist, shooting down airplanes /images/graemlins/blush.gif

The truth comes out. (Inquiring minds want to know!)

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And what would have happened to him had he "resisted"?

[/ QUOTE ]

MEbenhoe:
[ QUOTE ]
right, cuz I'm sure you at a young age would've given up your life in order to "resist" something you probably knew nothing about at the time. Especially considering your resistance would've meant little more than one more body to throw in the hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead:
[ QUOTE ]
If I was in Nazi Germany, in 1937, my ass would have been in the gas chamber

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought I would agree with you, BCPVP. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MtSmalls
04-19-2005, 02:50 PM
While Ratzinger's membership in the Hitler Youth and the Germany army during WWII are issues for most people, the real issues, and what causes concern for me, is that his mind views, sharply changed after the student rebellions in 68 are SO arch-conservative it makes Bush/Cheney centric.

His writings, as lead theologian under JPII, include the opinion that women are second class citizens and striving to be the equal of men is self-destructive. That if you vote for as a politician (or as a citizen voting for a politician) that does not conform to the church's law on abortion and euthanasia you should be refused communion. However if you disagree with the church on the death penalty or war, that's ok. Or that violence against homosexuals is wrong, but treating homosexuals as anything but mentally ill deviants is also wrong.

Ratzinger, if he lives long enough, will drag the Catholic church back into the 17th century.

benfranklin
04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ratzinger, if he lives long enough, will drag the Catholic church forward into the 17th century.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed your post.

dr_venkman
04-19-2005, 03:15 PM
You're all so naive.

They don't elect a new Pope, they build them from parts of lesser popes.

The smoke isn't a signal system, as some have claimed. In fact, durin the initial firing and smelting phase the smoke created from the piecing together of the new pope is black from the special arc welding rods made from the circumsized members of thousands of Jews. During the finishing phase where the pope is glazed and polished the smoke is white.

And voila, you get a new Pope, ready to carry out God's will as the Catholic Church sees fit.