PDA

View Full Version : Pope has been chosen...

tech
04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Just FYI.

MoreWineII
04-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Let me guess, it's an old guy with ultra-conservative values.

The Pope
04-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech,

Thank you for helping to spread the word. As your reward, the board will pair on the river each time you have a set against the nut flush.

In other news, I am pleased to be able to finally settle the age-old question: I do, indeed, wear a funny hat.

Blessedly,

The Pope

Bigdaddydvo
04-19-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me guess, it's an old guy with ultra-conservative values.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if traditional Catholics like myself are lucky.

chaas4747
04-19-2005, 12:40 PM
This gimmick account has no promise.

jason_t
04-19-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not surprising. Most don't.

tech
04-19-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tech,

Thank you for helping to spread the word. As your reward, the board will pair on the river each time you have a set against the nut flush.

In other news, I am pleased to be able to finally settle the age-old question: I do, indeed, wear a funny hat.

Blessedly,

The Pope

[/ QUOTE ]

Great news. Perhaps this will ward off the bad karma associated with placing bets on the papal election.

Dead
04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Ratzinger was a member of the Hitler Youth as a child.

They couldn't have picked a worse choice for Pope.

The Pope
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No points for the funny hat line? How about if I had talked about whether I [censored] in the woods?

As Pope, I forgive you for your harsh words.

Blessedly,

The Pope

Pope John Paul II
[ QUOTE ]
Tech,

Blessedly,

The Pope

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="#cccccc">Meh. </font>

Joey Knish
04-19-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tech,

Blessedly,

The Pope

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a little punk.

partygirluk
04-19-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, membership was compulsory.

lucas9000
04-19-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

according to this article, (http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&amp;cid=1113704370906&amp;p=1006953079865) it's not that simple.

lucas9000
04-19-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tech,

Blessedly,

The Pope

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a little punk.

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned!!!11

ClassicBob
04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
I like the fact that we just had three gimmick accounts post in a row.

And that the old ones pwned the new Pope.

Dead
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BS.

It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others The Ratzingers were young and had made a different choice.

tek
The entire Catholic religion and the Vatican are frauds against weak minded people.

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that doesn't seem like a good reason to dislike the guy.
That being said, I have no idea if he is a good choice.

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BS.

It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others The Ratzingers were young and had made a different choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

I thought you actually had some intelligence, but this post takes the cake.
I'm glad it would have been so easy for you to resist at that age, but others can't be held to the same ridiculous standard.

offTopic
04-19-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't trust him...

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/LAW/scotus/10/02/scotus.cheers.ap/story.scotus.cheers.cliff.jpg

Dead
04-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Whatever AC. I know a hell of a lot more about this than you do, so don't call me stupid.

Those who resisted were sometimes sent to Dachau and other concentration camps, but the honorable thing to do was resisting.

MEbenhoe
04-19-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Joseph Ratzinger Pope Benedict XVI

Once again Malachy's prophecy holds true as this pope was supposed to be of the "Benedictine order". So knowing this is it somewhat freaky that this was supposed to be the last pope IIRC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started another thread with this in it, then noticed this one.

Discuss?

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever AC. I know a hell of a lot more about this than you do

[/ QUOTE ]

You know exactly zero about how much knowledge I have about ANYTHING.

So don't pretend that you do.

[ QUOTE ]

Those who resisted were sometimes sent to Dachau and other concentration camps, but the honorable thing to do was resisting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you.
I can't claim that I would have resisted.

[ QUOTE ]
so don't call me stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it quacks like a duck...

partygirluk
04-19-2005, 01:01 PM
He would have been 5 or 6 when Hitler was elected. Hard to expect someone that young to take such a stance.

Dead
04-19-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So don't pretend you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironic POTD. You're the one who made a comment about my intelligence level.
[ QUOTE ]

Good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't alive in 1937?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter what you would have done.

Dead
04-19-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He would have been 5 or 6 when Hitler was elected. Hard to expect someone that young to take such a stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just following orders. Honest.

KaneKungFu123
04-19-2005, 01:02 PM
A.C. = [censored]

about the pope, its the naziation of catholism.

holla u OT faggots.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever AC. I know a hell of a lot more about this than you do, so don't call me stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

So don't pretend that you do.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

partygirluk
04-19-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. GREAT comeback!

MEbenhoe
04-19-2005, 01:03 PM
right, cuz I'm sure you at a young age would've given up your life in order to "resist" something you probably knew nothing about at the time. Especially considering your resistance would've meant little more than one more body to throw in the hole.

Dead
04-19-2005, 01:04 PM
If I was in Nazi Germany, in 1937, my ass would have been in the gas chamber, thanks to pricks like this.

But they look so pretty in their uniforms, don't they?

http://dsc.discovery.com/anthology/unsolvedhistory/hitler/photogallery/gallery/bunkergallery1_hzoom.jpg

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So don't pretend you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironic POTD. You're the one who made a comment about my intelligence level.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually the ironic POTD, because I never claimed to know how much knowledge you have about anything, but you did.

You continue to prove your own intelligence level on a daily basis, so I don't really need to argue that point.

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. GREAT comeback!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not, and shows why he can't be taken seriously.

M2d
04-19-2005, 01:05 PM
I was hoping for Cardinal Glick of New Jersey

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Since I can't even understand your post, it's impossible for me to respond.

[ QUOTE ]
holla u OT faggots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I see.

MoreWineII
04-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Regradless of what that says about his values, Catholicism is a religion sorely in need of some good publicity. This isn't it. That alone makes it a really bad decision, imo.

Dead
Compulsion is not an excuse for enabling atrocities.

This is the same argument made regarding the draft, and it is a flawed one.

The Hitler Youth was formed to create a feeder system to the Nazi Party and to military units such as the 12th SS Division and the Volkstruum. It was essentially an AAA farm team for the big boys.

We deport SS camp guards from the United States when we find out their former occupation. Doesn't matter whether they committed atrocities or not. Simply being a member is enough.

And the Catholic church has just elected a former member of the Hitlerjugend. Shame on them.

You can continue to throw ad hominems about my intelligence all you want, but it doesn't diminish the credibility of my arguments. You get on BGC and Zaxx all the time for doing exactly that, but take a look at yourself. You're copying them.

partygirluk
[ QUOTE ]
If I was in Nazi Germany, in 1937, my ass would have been in the gas chamber, thanks to pricks like this.

But they look so pretty in their uniforms, don't they?

http://dsc.discovery.com/anthology/unsolvedhistory/hitler/photogallery/gallery/bunkergallery1_hzoom.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm so would I. And so did many of my family. And I would like to think I would resist such a movement if it came to the UK. I am now 21. I only started developing firm principles of my own from about the age of 16, and I was ahead of the vast majority of my contemporaries. I dislike the choice of Ratzinger because he is doctrinally backward, but to blame somebody because they failed to resist (note that he did not actually take part in war crimes, just didnt actively resist them) when he was a kid is ridiculous.

AngryCola
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a response, but this statement is so ludicrous on its own, I needn't bother.

Dead
04-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Then why bother making a post about it?

Useless.

AngryCola
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I'm reality.

The world is not black and white, and when you grow up, you'll understand that.

Bye, Hack.
(Yes, I always knew)

AngryCola
[ QUOTE ]

Useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are trying to talk to me about useless posts?

What a joke.

Your entire existence is useless.

Dead
04-19-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I'm reality.

The world is not black and white, and when you grow up, you'll understand that.

Bye, Hack.

[/ QUOTE ]

? ok? lol

Dead
04-19-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are trying to talk to me about useless posts?

What a joke.

Your entire existence is useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I have been insulted by an anonymous poster on an internet message board.

Whatever will I do?

http://www.ualberta.ca/icons/sad-face.gif

Wow. That really hurt, AC. You're so smaht.

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't know what you'll do, but it will probably involve a significant amount of lameness and ignorance.

EOMs

Duke
04-19-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't trust him...

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/LAW/scotus/10/02/scotus.cheers.ap/story.scotus.cheers.cliff.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I turned off the TV when they elected "the guy from Cheers" to be the new Pope.

~D

lucas9000
04-19-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i was the last person in oot that didn't hate you. now it's unanimous!

Dead
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what you'll do, but it will probably involve a significant amount of lameness and ignorance.

EOMs

[/ QUOTE ]

AC, when I grow up, I want to be just like you. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

http://www.andzellasheaven.dk/art1/Be_my_friend.jpg

ucfryan
This was supposed to be a thread about the new pope, not an arguement about the Nazi Youth and whether or not you would've resisted it at whatever age. Jesus guys it's the [censored] internet, take it up in a PM.

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus guys it's the [censored] internet, take it up in a PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead loves to get in flame wars, and I've got news for you. This entire discussion is very on topic.

Why should it be taken to a PM just because the argument was dragged down in the dirt?

Should all of our discussions be pleasant and to your liking?

Don't be silly.

Broken Glass Can
04-19-2005, 01:20 PM
From Wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Cardinal_Ratzinger)

Ratzinger was born in Marktl am Inn, in Bavaria, the son of a police officer who was staunchly anti-Nazi. In 1937 Ratzinger's father retired and settled in the town of Traunstein. When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he was required by law to join the Hitler Youth , but according to his biographer John Allen he was not an enthusiastic member. In 1943, at the age of 16 he was, along with the rest of his class, drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps, responsible for the guarding of a BMW plant outside Munich. He was then sent for basic infantry training and was posted to Hungary, where he worked setting up anti-tank defences until he deserted in April 1944 (an offence punishable by death). In 1945 he was briefly held in an Allied POW camp. By June he was released, and he and his brother (Georg) entered a Catholic seminary. On June 29, 1951, they were ordained by Cardinal Faulhaber of Munich. His dissertation (1953) was on Saint Augustine, his Habilitationsschrift (second dissertation) on Saint Bonaventure.

Anti-Nazi Father

Deserted from the Nazis

Like John Paul II, he was surrounded by Nazis and rejected them.

interesting.....

ucfryan
04-19-2005, 01:21 PM
No but it shouldn't be petty childish insults either. And apparently you like to get in flame wars too.

AngryCola
04-19-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No but it shouldn't be petty childish insults either. And apparently you like to get in flame wars too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't.
In fact, you won't find one long thread of an argument involving me that has been posted in at least a month or so.

Childish insults?

He started it. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Seriously, I shouldn't respond just for the sake of not getting into a 'flame war'? I'm not out to get involved in them, but I'm not running from a debate I feel strongly about. If someone tries to insult me along the way, I'm firing back at them.

Pretty simple.

P.S.
Your post wasn't on topic either. It was just an attack on Dead and myself. Why didn't you take it to PM?

HDPM
04-19-2005, 01:39 PM
LINK (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1572667_1,00.html)

Well, he wasn't a very small child when he joined the hitler youth, but membership was cumpulsory. Too gutless to resist, but he did desert the army.

I think this guy will continue to damage the Church in first world countries, which is inevitable really.

swede123
04-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Why pick a guy who's 78? I'm sure he's in better health than John Paul II was, but 78? At best he'll have ten good years ahead of him would be my guess. They really should pick someone in his sixties at least.

Swede

istewart
04-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Imagine if the white smoke was bodies being cremated Hitleresque in his honor /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Asufiji2004
04-19-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why pick a guy who's 78? I'm sure he's in better health than John Paul II was, but 78? At best he'll have ten good years ahead of him would be my guess. They really should pick someone in his sixties at least.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

The papacy is supposed to last less than 10 years. Pope John Paul the II had the 4th longest papacy in history. 7-8 years is optimum.

IndieMatty
04-19-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't trust him...

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

maryfield48
04-19-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

I thought you actually had some intelligence, but this post takes the cake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty bad read there, Cola.

IndieMatty
04-19-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I was in Nazi Germany, in 1937, my ass would have been in the gas chamber

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about softballs.....

Beerfund
04-19-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I explained this here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=181848 8&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=Pope&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=2 5&amp;Main=1809459&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=1474 &amp;daterange=1&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=w&amp;olderval=1&amp;olde rtype=m&amp;bodyprev=#Post1818488)

spamuell
04-19-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We deport SS camp guards from the United States when we find out their former occupation. Doesn't matter whether they committed atrocities or not. Simply being a member is enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

This clearly demonstrates that you have no idea what you're talking about. It doesn't make any sense at all.

Niwa
04-19-2005, 02:49 PM
A german! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PoBoy321
04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
The Catholic Church is the 2nd largest and fastest growing religion in the world.

How is it in need of good press?

PoBoy321
04-19-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And the world would be a happier place.

TomBrooks
04-19-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Catholic Church is the 2nd...fastest growing religion in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
In New York City and in surrounding areas of New Jersey, there are widespread closings of Catholic Schools happening or planned. Membership in the Rosary Societies is a small fraction of what it was 30 years ago. Where is the Catholic Church growing and what is the rate of growth?

IndieMatty
04-19-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Catholic Church is the 2nd largest and fastest growing religion in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
In New York City and in surrounding areas of New Jersey, there are widespread closings of Catholic Schools happening or planned. Membership in the Rosary Societies is a small fraction of what it was 30 years ago. Where is the Catholic Church growing?

[/ QUOTE ]

South America and Asia.

wh1t3bread
04-19-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In New York City and in surrounding areas of New Jersey, there are widespread closings of Catholic Schools happening or planned. Membership in the Rosary Societies is a small fraction of what it was 30 years ago. Where is the Catholic Church growing?

[/ QUOTE ]

South America and Asia.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Africa.

cookie
04-19-2005, 04:18 PM
The Pope on the topic of rock music: "In many forms of religion, music is associated with frenzy and ecstasy. Such music lowers the barriers of individuality and personality, and in it man liberates himself from the burden of consciousness....this type in rock and pop music, whose festivals are an anti-cult with the same tendency...is the complete antithesis of Christian faith in the Redemption. Accordingly, it is only logical that in this area diabolical cults and demonic musics are on the increase today, and their dangerous power of deliberately destroying personality is not yet taken seriously enough..."

Popinjay
04-19-2005, 04:25 PM
[censored] I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE BET ON DUKE

http://www.drewmarlowe.com/pictures/brackets.jpg

chaas4747
04-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Ole boy came from a 6 seed. Nice!

jakethebake
04-19-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about softballs.....

[/ QUOTE ]

It was so easy I just sat there looking at it. If I'd swung I think I would've felt bad. Like stealing from the mentally handicapped.

ucfryan
04-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Gotta love Catholicism.

housenuts
04-19-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The entire Catholic religion and the Vatican are frauds against weak minded people.

[/ QUOTE ]

TomBrooks
04-19-2005, 05:21 PM
What is current salary for being Pope?

MarkL444
04-19-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pope has been chosen...

[/ QUOTE ]

*yawn*

bernie
04-19-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, whose strong defence of Catholic orthodoxy has earned him a variety of sobriquets — including “the enforcer”, “the panzer cardinal” and “God’s rottweiler”

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
His condemnations are legion — of women priests, married priests, dissident theologians and homosexuals, whom he has declared to be suffering from an “objective disorder”.

He upset many Jews with a statement in 1987 that Jewish history and scripture reach fulfilment only in Christ — a position denounced by critics as “theological anti-semitism”. He made more enemies among other religions in 2000, when he signed a document, Dominus Jesus, in which he argued: “Only in the Catholic church is there eternal salvation”.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great choice.

b

benfranklin
04-19-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No salary, he is on straight commission.

Pope John Paul II
04-19-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="#cccccc"> $0 per annum, but you do get to use the company car... </font>

http://inaloop1.home.comcast.net/LasVegasComdex/Popemobile.jpg

jstnrgrs
04-19-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dislike the choice of Ratzinger because he is doctrinally backward,

[/ QUOTE ]

Good think no one is forcing you to be Catholic.

TomBrooks
04-20-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In New York City and surrounding areas there are widespread closings of Catholic Schools. Membership in the Rosary Societies is a small fraction of what it was 30 years ago. Where is the Catholic Church growing?

[/ QUOTE ]South America and Asia.

[/ QUOTE ]And Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps due to the tremendous strides in technological advancement since the industrial and computer revolutions, the ancient scriptures no longer resonate as much with modern societies as they used to but they still go over well in relatively poor, uneducated, and unsophisticated cultures.

We are probably due for a major new scriptural debut. Perhaps something along the lines of an intergalactic diety or one founded in multidimensional theory or something like that.

beset7
04-23-2005, 11:00 PM
[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps due to the tremendous strides in technological advancement since the industrial and computer revolutions, the ancient scriptures no longer resonate as much with modern societies as they used to but they still go over well in relatively poor, uneducated, and unsophisticated cultures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That is all I can say. do you see why?