PDA

View Full Version : starting each session -40 bb's

TMFS9
04-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I just moved to 5/10 a little over two weeks ago (~11,000 hands) and at the beginning of almost every session it seems like I'm in a 40 BB hole trying to scratch and claw my way out. There has only been 2 sessions that I can remember where I haven't started down a descent amount and both sessions I ran up 60 BB wins. Also I have yet done the opposite where I've started off really good only to come back. Now my question is there anybody else that experiences this and what are some remedies. Some possible reasons that I have thought of are:

A. The longer I play with the players the better reads I'm able to gather and help with my play.

B. The longer I play the more comfortable/focused I get.

C. Or i'm just an idiot and it's variance.

FWIW i feel I've had a pretty successful jump to 5/10

stigmata
04-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Probably all 3 but mostly C. Its mostly variance.

The only thing I can suggest is perhaps playing more conservative/straightfoward at the beggining of a session, and as your reads get better, start getting a bit funkier/situational. I definately feel my EV edges up after I have been at the table a while.

Grisgra
04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I've gone through the same thing, sometimes it lasts for a week or two. It's probably mostly variance, although it's also that it takes a little bit to get reads so that you can play optimally against the donks.

It's weird, I find that I play my best when I'm down 10BB or 20BB. Aggressive but not nutty. Don't get me wrong, when you're up 30BB or 40BB at a table, the image boost you get makes it even easier to pick up pots, just saying that controlling for table image, I think that I play best when I'm down a little bit. So maybe that's part of it with you, too.

Klak
04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
i think youre right. shorthanded has a lot more to do with reads and betting patterns, so naturally you will play better the longer you are playing with the same opponents.