PDA

View Full Version : trips on board

chopchoi
04-19-2005, 11:02 AM
I raise 1st in with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. The button calls, everyone else folds.

The flop is J /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. He calls my bet.

The turn is J /images/graemlins/spade.gif. He calls my bet again.

The river is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check, he bets, I...

jrz1972
04-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Getting 6.5:1, I seriously consider calling this. This seems highly read-dependent though.

LALDAAS
04-19-2005, 11:12 AM
I hate this hand, I never know how to play it, I am always shown the J or the 3 here. Even a small poket pair.

I fold.

DeadRed
04-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Call. He has yet to show any strength and could easily be on Ax or trying to buy the pot seeing your check.

Boy, I wish I would have found the Clarkmeister Theorem when I was searching for it the other day... I can't be sure that this is where it applies, but I like a river bet here. If someone has a link...

Are you thinking the button is setting you up for a raise holding the case J? If not, I doubt if he raises you on the river, so I think a check from you is too weak. If you're going to call here anyway, why not bet out? The questions are:

1. Will he fold a hand that beats yours?
and/or
2. Will he call your bet with a losing hand?

The answers to these are highly read-dependent. What hands has he been calling down with? Has he been calling hands to the river, then folding?

Dave G.
04-19-2005, 11:18 AM
In most cases I'd fold. He's been calling you down with some type of hand (is that too optimistic?). Some type of hand, unfortunately, is better than your hand.

If I've seen him run a few bluffs before or he's an aggressive player (particularly on the river) I'll call.

@bsolute_luck
04-19-2005, 11:38 AM
yeah, i suck at playing UI overcards. i think i'm with DeadRed on this as a bet/fold situation. you've probably lost this either to a flush or small pair though.

Chris Daddy Cool
04-19-2005, 11:45 AM
when doing these types of calldowns look at the board and look at what possible draws out that have missed and what range of hands he could be holding.

this board is coordinated enough where i think you can call given the pot odds unless you know your opponent isn't a bluffer.

TimsterToo
04-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I really see no reason why you shouldn't have bet the river. He has show no real strength, has been really passive and you have plenty of high card value to bet the last J.

If I would be calling all the time and suddenly the bettor checks I would bet for sure to see if he folds.

He might have been waiting for one card to make his hand, as it didn't happen on the turn he thought he was done for. Then you checked and the sun started shining for him.