PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Error in Harrington On Hold'em

Vee Quiva
04-19-2005, 10:46 AM
I don't agree with this strategy in the hand example 2-6 starting on page 75. Here is the text:

You are on the button with $3440 in chips and the chip leader in single table tournament. You have Ace-Queen offsuit. Blinds are $50-100.
First 2 players fold. Player C with $1600 calls 100. C is an aggressive player. Player D with $630 calls 100. D is a conservative player. Action is to you.

Harrington recommends raising and I agree. Here is where the advice becomes debatable.

He assumes that you just raise 2x the blind to 200. The Small Blind who started the hand with $320 goes all in for his last $270. The Big Blind folds. Players C and D call the additional $220. The pot is now $1260 and action is to you. It costs $120 to call. What do you do?

Here is Harrington's answer:
[ QUOTE ]
"The small blind is now in the main pot with whatever he has. Players C and D have both been given two opportunities to raise, and neither has done so. Few players have the patience and sheer cold-bloodedness to slowplay a big pair through two raises at the table. You have to assume that both are nursing small pairs or drawing hands.

Now is the time to strike and go all-in. You'll almost certainly knock out Player C. Just because you've characterized a player as "aggressive" doesn't mean he has a death wish. Your're forcing him to put his whole stack in jeopardy against a player who has raised him twice. That's not likely. Player D might call you in the side pot since he'll have only $300 left if he folds. But that's all right, since you're a favorite if he holds a drawing hand, and at worst you're a slight underdog if he holds a small pair.

If you can knock out both Players C and D with this move, you've gained a huge amount of equity. At that point you'll have invested $325 for a shot at a pot of $1,275 where you're almost certainly a favorite."

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my opinion on this:
First of all I would give the small blind a little more credit for a good hand here. He has seen a raise in front of him. If he wants to he can wait 5 more hands for free for a better opportunity to go all in.

Also you know a raise will be called by D and he only has $300 more to win left in his stack. Why risk getting called by player C?

I think the better strategy would be to call the raise and hopefully check down the hand. You have one player all in and another player is will be all in if another bet is made. There is nothing to win in the side pot so why bother betting to create one?

Plus going all in is only going to narrow the field by 1. Not much of an advantage.

citanul
04-19-2005, 10:50 AM
you didn't tell us what hero has.

citanul

Bluff Daddy
04-19-2005, 10:56 AM
hero has A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif, but he read it wrong harrington says "you should raise, and raise strongly, to around $400." In this particular scenario the player only minraised to $200 just to clarify that Harrington does not say you should minraise.

Vee Quiva
04-19-2005, 10:58 AM
It's fixed in original post. Hero has Ace Queen off suit.

Vee Quiva
04-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes I mentioned that I agree with the strong raise.

My problem is with the all in move after the reraise by the small blind.

swarm
04-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I just think this scenario is unlikely in terms of what D does.

It's a great information move if D's stack was a little deeper. I am always suspicious of why someone with 6BB is limping.

Given his scenario (how opponnents played hands) I think that Harrington's play is correct.

C and D don't have anything to write home about. SB could be all in with anything resembling a decent hand. I wouldn't put much stock in his hand either. If I was SB I would be jumping in with any 2 in case I struck gold and hit my cards in this big money pot I would be back in the game.

As chip leader you want to get rid of the one player that can make you put more chips in the pot. By moving all in you are in actuality protecting 1000 chips within your stack. I would bet Player C will fold to a second raise from the same player with 2 other players already all in 90%+ of the time. It's a great move.

swarm
04-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Having AQ is a great hand in this situation! SB is going to be all in with any ace, why are you so scared of the SB?

AQ is even more reason to push as you want the full 5 cards to draw out to your overcards. Get Player C and his remaining 1400 in chips out of the hand that could make life hell for you on the flop if he hits and you don't. He's not going to call an all in here.

Nottom
04-19-2005, 11:32 AM
I don't aggre that the shortstack needs a strong hand here.

If I had a hand like JTs and saw a multiway pot developing giving me a chance to quadruple up, I would often gamble it up in that spot.

pokerlaw
04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't aggre that the shortstack needs a strong hand here.

If I had a hand like JTs and saw a multiway pot developing giving me a chance to quadruple up, I would often gamble it up in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

AA suited
04-19-2005, 01:33 PM
- player c, an aggressive player with a big stack, limps in, then just calls the small raise by sb.

alarm bells ring. aggressive players do not usually just limp in. just calling the sb's all-in tells me he's confident about a 4-way pot.

- player d, a conservative player w/a small stack, limps in and just calls a min raise by sb.

the limp screams monster. the call to a min raise w/300 chips left after player c calls tells me he's a fish. it's not like player C will fold for 300 more chips.

if this was a 50+5, i would just do the standard when a player is all-in and there is a zero/small side pot. I would just call and check it down the river if the flop doesnt help me. if player D goes all-in, i'll call. if player C bets, i fold.

i'm not desparate for the chips, and want as much help as possible to eliminate the sb if the board doesnt help me.

harrington's play might be correct for the 215's where the blinds are calling your raises, or you're the blind and call a raise. either way, there's post flop play. thus you need all the chips you can get.

lastchance
04-19-2005, 01:41 PM
But this is an MTT, I believe. Much less worth in knocking out opponents. BTW, unless on the bubble, I'd still push.

Vee Quiva
04-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Harrington states in this example that it is a one table tournament.

ilya
04-19-2005, 01:43 PM
You guys are looking for monsters under the bed. Worrying about SB is just plain silly, he'll push with all kinds of cheese there. Worrying about C and D also doesn't make much sense; by the time the action gets back around to them, the pot is large enough that they would just re-raise with a big pair. They would most likely also re-raise (or raise in the first place, in C's case) with AK. C will almost certainly fold. D might call but he probably has cheese as well. Pushing is great!

Vee Quiva
04-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Obviously I agree since I posted the question.

My big problem is the all in generates a side pot needlessly. Ace Queen off is not that big of a favorite here.

If this was Jacks or Better I think the all in is a good idea because you know you are probably at least a slight favorite.

Sadat X
04-19-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also you know a raise will be called by D and he only has $300 more to win left in his stack. Why risk getting called by player C?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you almost certainly have the best hand - let them call with inferior holdings if they want. You have the chip lead - use it to your advantage.

Sadat X
04-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Great avatar, btw Nottom.

swarm
04-19-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I agree since I posted the question.

My big problem is the all in generates a side pot needlessly. Ace Queen off is not that big of a favorite here.

If this was Jacks or Better I think the all in is a good idea because you know you are probably at least a slight favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the reason you want C out of the pot! You don't want someone with good odds and enough chips to hurt you outdrawing you in the pot. The pot is going to be so big going to the flop if you just call that any kind of straight of flush draw he is going to have odds to chase or bluff into. You use the your big stack leverage (his fear of busting) to get him the hell out of there. Say the flop comes KQX... and C leads out a small bet now what? Suppos the flop comes QJ2 rainbow. C leads out a bet, you raise all in and he calls with QJ. You let C draw out on you with a hand he would have folded preflop. Sometimes you have to protect your BIG STACK by pushing all in and getting those that can dent you out of the hand.

You think your min-raise didn't scare them? AAsuited I don't get your read on C at all. By the time it gets back around to him there is the blinds (150) C's (100), D's (100), Hero's (200) and SB's added ($120) making a total pot of (670).

How you read's C's call as confident into a 4 way pot is beyond me... i'm not confident with AA in a 4-way pot.

This is really weak tight guys, really weak tight. Your the big stack, act like one and use your leverage. C will fold.