PDA

View Full Version : AKs in the BB

schwza
04-19-2005, 10:24 AM
last night's 50+5 on party. start with 1k, avg is about 1.3k, i have 1.5k. 15/30.

notes on villain: about 10 hands ago (still 15/30) there were two limpers to him in LP. villain has 33 and T900. he pushes. (and gets called by both limpers, who each have KQ). he has also made a fishy cold-call of a raise.

the hand in question:

folded to villain (2.5k) who opens to 100 in the CO. folded to me (1.5k) in the BB with AKs. i push.

comments?

Che
04-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Looks fishy at first glance, but I kind of like it. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

transmitt
04-19-2005, 10:47 AM
I think I like it. Your having faith in your read on the guy and are trying to get him to double you through w/ a small pair and you flip, or more likely something you have dominated/or are ahead of. Get his chips before someone else does. I guess once in a blue moon he'll wake up w/ the big hand (which may be the reason for the post?).

ZootMurph
04-19-2005, 11:09 AM
I feel differently about early tournament fish. I like to outplay them on the flop. Therefore, I'd just call. If he has small pockets again, he will call you, and if you don't hit the flop you can still let it go.

I really hate the preflop pushing game, specifically early in a tournament, as I feel it gives others with less skill than me an advantage. And, generally speaking, there are many more players with less skill than me in the early stages. I'd rather give them some rope and let them hang themselves.

schwza
04-19-2005, 11:13 AM
and in the 70% case that you don't flop a pair, then what?

Lurshy
04-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I don't like the overbet.

If he calls, you may already be behind, if not he has 5 chances to crack your cards. If he folds, you probably could have gotten him to fold while putting less at risk with a smaller reraise. And if he calls a smaller reraise, you have a multitude of options as well.

Even cold calling is okay, you have an aggressive fish acting before you, even if you hit, he may bluff off chips into you or make a bad call. If you miss you can get away, or you still have the option of overplaying your AKs on the flop or later streets if that is your desire.

JMHO

locutus2002
04-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Its early, I wouldn't push because he's likely to call you with 66+. If he loses he's back at T1000.

Its not too early to trap here, I might flat call and check it, knowing that he will bet after the flop. You can re-assess then.

If you feel you must raise I would raise to T350.

locutus2002
04-19-2005, 11:46 AM
I'd be thinking about the 30% of the time when I get paid off.

DireWolf
04-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Isn't Hero the one who will benifit more from seeing 5 cards than villan will?

schwza
04-19-2005, 02:30 PM
villain calls with KQs.

in the case where i do have villain dominated, the only likely way that the stacks are going in is when the card we share hits (in this case, a K). so i have 2 cards to probably take his stack, which is 1/8.5 (same as flopping a set with a pocket pair). i didn't like a smaller reraise too much because i'd wind up with a lot of my stack in the middle OOP. and just calling would make it more difficult to win the pot when i didn't flop anything. the fact that i felt there was a good chance i could get all the chips with 75% equity made it a push for me.

Che
04-19-2005, 02:38 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that pushing AKs PF when out of position is correct against opponents that we have reason to believe will call 50BB pushes with hands like KQ. I would be happy to see someone try to prove me wrong. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This opponent has already pushed 33 so I don't think KQ is much of a stretch.

FWIW I would probably just call his 100 on the button.

Nice hand,
Che

kutuz_off
04-19-2005, 05:01 PM
I may not be qualified to answer in this forum being not good enough, but here's my try. I would reraise to 350 or 400 and push on any flop if you're called. Being out of position is good in this case. Give him two chances to fold. If he has a smallish pair, there will be plenty of scare cards for him even if you don't hit. If you have him dominated, he will have to outflop you to win. If he has a huge hand, it's no worse than pushing PF. If he hits a set...well...too bad. In the meantime you gained extra some 300 chips - a little less than a quarter of your stack.

LethalRose
04-19-2005, 05:12 PM
I have no problem with this...

It is still early, you need chips. You have a premium hand vs an opponent you have seen shove all his chips in the middle with marginal hands. If you push and he folds, you pick up some chips and he may not believe your next push. If he calls theres only 2 hands youd hate to see. Gamble it up.

dfan
04-19-2005, 07:01 PM
I also have less experience than most of you. But here is my take anyway.

I don't like it at all. It's early, you aren't desperate, and whatever he has, even if he is very loose he will only call with a pair or AK, AQ, or KQ. You are a slight underdog to any pair, and will win only 73 chips if he has AK (unless you get a flush). You are a favorite against only two possible hands: AQ or KQ (which are less likely than usual since you have an A and a K yourself). And you don't have much fold equity with only 145 chips in the pot.

I know you said your goal was to win his stack, but why would you want to push against a larger stack early in the tournament where your opponent is likely to be a slight favorite?

schwza
04-20-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
even if he is very loose he will only call with a pair or AK, AQ, or KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that if this is the read on villain, the push is really bad. my belief was that he would call with a lot of other hands. i wouldn't have been too surprised to get called by KT or A8.

Shammu
04-20-2005, 01:08 PM
I am not trying to prove you wrong but let me tell you what happened last night at a live tournament. Twice I had AKs in the BB pushed all in after a raise from the same guy who called me in both cases with 55 and A7s and won the two hands and eleminated me, before that I had a very healthy stack and in two hands I was out so it does not work all the time /images/graemlins/tongue.gif