PDA

View Full Version : checking for value

Felipe
04-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Paradise Poker 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

<font color="green">I'm playing this hand and I see 22 in the hole. I think, ducks! I LOVE DUCKS! Before I choose an "auto-play" I wait to see who plays. "i'll get 3-4 opponents, I LOVE DUCKS!" I flops da set! I LOVE DUCKS! On the river I know I've got it, I bet. Then the showdown. Since I've shown aggression on 5th street, I showdown first, I take the pot. Villain doesn't show! and i want to know what he's raising with! Should I have 'checked for value'. He plays before me, he checks, i check, he shows first, i show - scoop the pot? Is the information better value than 1bb? </font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, UTG (poster) checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, UTG calls.

River: (13 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

@bsolute_luck
04-19-2005, 10:00 AM
i know i'm pretty new to poker, but i've never heard the phrase "checking for value". i've heard "betting for value", but not checking.

bet. bet. and more betting. i'd play the hand the exact same way. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SlantNGo
04-19-2005, 10:01 AM
No. Half the time he won't even sit down at the table long enough for you to use your "information".

[ QUOTE ]
Is the information better value than 1bb?

[/ QUOTE ]

xenthebrain
04-19-2005, 10:03 AM
I don't care what someone has, as long as I have him beaten.

ErrantNight
04-19-2005, 10:04 AM
no, that would be the most horrible idea, ever.

check your hand history. his holding will be revealed. but don't ever, ever start down this line of thinking. do you want to know what everyone has? or take their money.

i can't inform you strong enough that this is an unbelievable awful idea. get it out of your head. NOW.

Felipe
04-19-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no, that would be the most horrible idea, ever.

check your hand history. his holding will be revealed. but don't ever, ever start down this line of thinking. do you want to know what everyone has? or take their money.

i can't inform you strong enough that this is an unbelievable awful idea. get it out of your head. NOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy's good

benkath1
04-19-2005, 10:13 AM
AJ or J8.

J8 might cap the turn, so prolly AJ.

No the information is not worth 1bb. You should be moving out of the paradise .10/.20 game soon and might not play against him again. As soon as you're rolled, move to .25/.5. Games are just as soft, if not softer.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ben

Felipe
04-19-2005, 10:13 AM
hand history reveals villain (UTG) held:

8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

jrz1972
04-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Checking the river would be terrible for the reasons others have mentioned. Never do this.