PDA

View Full Version : Article: Playing Overcards on Late Streets...

teddyhoo
04-19-2005, 08:53 AM
In example #1 I don't understand why you don't fire off a bet on fifth street with just A high. If your opponent may bet a busted draw, won't he tend to fold? Isn't this a better scenario in order to conceal your hand? You would call a bet anyway. How likely is he to raise? Perhaps someone could more fully explain why check/calling is better than betting.

johnnymac
04-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi,

If he has a busted draw and you bet into him, he will fold, meaning that this last bet showed no profit, as if you had checked and he checked behind you would have won the same amount.

If he has a busted draw and you check to him, he will often bet as a bluff, which you then call and win with, you will win a pot one bet bigger than you would have by betting into him. If he doesn't bluff then you still win the same amount as if you had bet into him (as he would have folded in that case).

If he has a hand, he is not going to fold to a bet. However, if you check he may check behind as you had been the aggressor all through, meaning you get a showdown for free. If he bets at you, you still have to call, as he could be bluffing the busted draw (see above).

This is my interpretation of the article, and the way I play. It is very succesful and definatley makes a difference to your win rate, especially at low limits, where almost everyone will check behind you with a hand when you check, and bet at you with a busted draw when you check, as a last ditch bluff.

Joe

MHarris
04-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks, Joe, well explained.

Additionally, there are a couple of other benefits of taking this line: the possibility of your opponent checking behind with a better hand, and also it eliminates the possibility of more tricky/aggressive opponents bluff-raising you.