PDA

View Full Version : Anti-virus, etc

LoaferGee12
04-19-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm getting a new laptop and am wondering what anti-spyware and virus program I should get. Thoughts?

lucas9000
04-19-2005, 08:39 AM
i don't use anti-virus software. never had a virus (knock on wood).

skipperbob
04-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Exactly like..."don't use a condom; never had VD" /images/graemlins/confused.gif

LazyRobot
04-19-2005, 09:26 AM
I like NOD32 (http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm)

lucas9000
04-19-2005, 09:30 AM
i just think that if you use some common sense in how you use the internet the chances you'll get a virus are slim enough as to not warrant using anti-virus software. but with that goes the acceptance that it may happen, and being prepared for that (making back ups of important stuff, etc). but, it's not like i don't take precautions...i use firefox (block pop-ups, etc), have a router firewall, use web-based email (no opening strange attachments), etc. i just don't think i need anti-virus software.

Gin 'n Tonic
04-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Norton Internet Security is OK, but can be overly obtrusive and is a nightmare to fix if anything goes wrong. Their knowledge base is excellent, but you can access that without their software. IMHO McAfee Internet Security is better, it's more (dumb) user friendly and not too obtrusive as long as you disable the privacy service.

If you're worried about hacking, then a hardware firewall is probably worth investing in as this will provide a 'physical' block to vulnerable ports.

My $0.02 as a user of the above with no particular expertise.

astroglide
04-19-2005, 12:22 PM
http://free.grisoft.com/

jnalpak
04-19-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Norton Internet Security is OK, but can be overly obtrusive and is a nightmare to fix if anything goes wrong. Their knowledge base is excellent, but you can access that without their software. IMHO McAfee Internet Security is better, it's more (dumb) user friendly and not too obtrusive as long as you disable the privacy service.

If you're worried about hacking, then a hardware firewall is probably worth investing in as this will provide a 'physical' block to vulnerable ports.

My $0.02 as a user of the above with no particular expertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Norton Security is decent but if your totally paranoid a know a thing or two about TCP/IP then pick up a Netscreen 5GT and then purchase NAV

-Jared