PDA

View Full Version : No Marriage for gays in NV

Clarkmeister
11-06-2002, 01:28 AM
This validates a constitutional amendment specifying that marriage is between "a man and a woman". Could this amendment hold up to a challenge in court?

11-06-2002, 01:46 AM
Once you amend the constitution there is no court challenge. We could take away womens suffrage in this manner if it's not too late as well!

andyfox
11-06-2002, 02:04 AM
Women will always suffer as long as there are men.

andyfox
11-06-2002, 02:07 AM
Roughly 50% of opposite sex marriages end in divorce, maybe we should try same sex marriage for a while and see if it works out better. My guess would be that it would.

snakehead
11-06-2002, 02:35 AM
naaaaah. divorce ain't so bad...

HDPM
11-06-2002, 11:51 AM
Holding up in court? Unclear. Right now, probably yes. But the Colorado case dealing with gay rights that came out of the Supreme Court has the potential for some interesting applications. Nv's new amd could be one of them. I don't know for sure because I don't pay a lot of attention to the issue. The long term trend is to break down distinctions in marriages. The very very very long term trend will be to get government out of marriage. With an all Republican congress, I don't think there will be big movement on the privileges and immunities clause end of the issue. As more states legalize gay marriage, that will be the easiest tool for change I think.