PDA

View Full Version : Sentence - too short? too long?

El Barto
04-19-2005, 07:14 AM
Calif. student gets 8 years for SUV vandalism (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7550964/)

Sentenced for 2003 spree that torched Hummers, other gas guzzlers

LOS ANGELES - An aspiring physicist was sentenced to more than eight years in prison on Monday and ordered to pay $3.5 million for his role in a spree of arson and vandalism that targeted gas-guzzling Hummers and other sports utility vehicles.

Rejecting pleas for clemency from William Cottrell, a 24-year-old doctoral candidate in physics at the California Institute of Technology, U.S. District Judge Gary Klausner added more time to the sentence after finding that Cottrell was trying to sway consumers with his anti-SUV message.

The slogans Cottrell spray-painted onto vehicles included “Fat Lazy Americans,” “No Respect for Earth” and “SUV = Terrorism.”

Cottrell, who admitted only spray-painting and testified he did not know that two friends were bringing Molotov cocktails, promised he would never break the law again. The two friends have fled the country to avoid prosecution, authorities said.

“I want nothing more than to be a physicist,” Cottrell said. “I would do anything to earn any leniency the court could show in this matter.”

Cottrell was convicted last November on seven counts of arson and one count of conspiracy related to a 2003 vandalism and firebombing spree that targeted about 125 large sports utility vehicles at four Southern California dealerships and a few homes.

Lawyers mount autism defense
Cottrell’s attorneys asked for the five-year mandatory minimum sentence saying that their client has Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism marked by impaired ability to understand social situations.

They said it affected his judgment and kept him from backing out when his two friends started lighting Molotov cocktails.

But Judge Klausner said high intelligence should work against a defendant, not in his favor. “What a talent to have wasted,” Klausner said. “There’s only one person to blame for that, and I’m sure Mr. Cottrell understands that it’s him.”

Attorneys estimated that Cottrell, who had faced a mandatory minimum sentence of five years, could spend six years in jail, including credit for time served.

“The defendant engaged in conduct to send a political message,” said federal prosecutor Beverly Reid O’Connell. “He’s a scheming, arrogant person who is disdainful of the law and the justice system.”

BadBoyBenny
04-19-2005, 08:09 AM
I think a 1 to 5 year sentence with no mandatory minimum sounds appropriate.

mmbt0ne
04-19-2005, 08:12 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I think a 1 to 5 year sentence with no mandatory minimum sounds appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
firebombing spree that targeted about 125 large sports utility vehicles

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing involving firebombing should have a sentence of one to five years.

BadBoyBenny
04-20-2005, 11:57 PM
I don't think that he firebombed anything.

Dead
04-21-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that he firebombed anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
one count of conspiracy related to a 2003 vandalism and firebombing spree

[/ QUOTE ]

jstnrgrs
04-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Why is this a federal case? If the sentance were imposed by a state judge, I would have no problem with it, but this is none of the federal government's buisness.

Jazza
04-21-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
“He’s a scheming, arrogant person who is disdainful of the law and the justice system.”

[/ QUOTE ]

so judges punish people for not being charming these days? should this be relevent to the sentence?

Richard Tanner
04-21-2005, 02:24 AM
I agree, unless it went beyond state lines, in which case go ahead and go federal. That said, so long as no one was hurt, I say let's keep it to 5 years or less. However, if someone so much as got a hair singed, then let's go with assult.
I don't know, for this particular incident, the punishment just seems excessive, but that's only given what we know, and I wasn't there to see all the evidence.

Cody

cold_cash
04-21-2005, 02:37 AM
Firebombing/Arson Spree = Terrorism = The Feds

If this had happened pre Patriot Act it would have been handled in state court, unless his "spree" crossed state lines.

pryor15
04-21-2005, 04:24 AM
i thought this was gonna be about grammar. oh well.

Broken Glass Can
04-21-2005, 05:24 AM
2+2 is so damn liberal. No wonder no one cares about posters being soft on OBL or Saddam or other evil guys.

Here we have a terrorist conducting terror on US soil and you guys overwhelmingly vote that 8 years is too long a sentence for his terrorism. That is just sad.

Matty
04-21-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here we have a terrorist conducting terror ... for his terrorism.

[/ QUOTE ]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

http://www.sworddragon.com/passions/images/montoya2.jpg

Broken Glass Can
04-21-2005, 05:43 AM
terror - 4. Violence committed or threatened by a group to intimidate or coerce a population, as for military or political purposes.

I think a campaign of firebombing and massive vandalism to coerce Americans to swallow their eco-radical ideas fits this definition. Several years ago an eco-terrorist group burned down a ski lodge, and trees have been spiked to kill lumberjacks. Innocent people have died in this terrorism campaign.

peachy
04-21-2005, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is this a federal case? If the sentance were imposed by a state judge, I would have no problem with it, but this is none of the federal government's buisness.

[/ QUOTE ]

with the messages written on vehicles...him addressing terroism and doing this for political reasons...him targeting dealerships (which buy/sell cars over state lines) and the amount of cars destoryed (moneywise) it is easily a federal issue

I think he got off either easy or around what i would have given him. Aspergers Syndrome stuff is BS it made me furious that they even tried to claim this, i woulda added another year just for that! And his pleas about his want to be a physicis would have made me laugh...what about peoples wants to buy SUVs

Matty
04-21-2005, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
terror - 4. Violence committed or threatened by a group to intimidate or coerce a population, as for military or political purposes.

I think a campaign of firebombing and massive vandalism to coerce Americans to swallow their eco-radical ideas fits this definition.

[/ QUOTE ]Burning a car is violence now? I was under the impression it was arson.

Why isn't this guy getting charged with terrorism? You should look into that.

BadBoyBenny
04-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Ok he conspired to firebomb. He didn't actually firebomb.