PDA

View Full Version : This is the end

shawn_p
04-19-2005, 04:19 AM
Please try to follow this logic.

Card dealers are a part of the service industry.

Waiters, waitresses, doormen, valet, chauffeurs, pizza delivery men, bartenders, etc…… are all part of the service industry.

Each occupation requires approximately the same level of job skills, experience, intelligence, and competency.

Waiters, waitresses, doormen, valet, cab driver, pizza delivery men, bartenders, etc…… who are all part of the service industry receive a nominal wage and are encouraged to do and exceptional job through the custom of gratuities offered by patrons.

The same applies for card dealers.

There is a customary standard gratuity for those in the food service industry normally paid at a rate of 15%-20% of the total tab or check.

There is a customary standard gratuity for those in the “patron service” industry such as: doormen, valet, cab driver, bartenders, and I argue that card dealers fit into this category of the “service industry”. A dollar is an accepted and adequate gratuity for services rendered.

A doorman open the door to your hotel and offers you assistance with you luggage/bags. This action warrants a gratuity of the socially accepted norm of a dollar.

A valet parks your car for you and has it ready for you at the end of a show. This action warrants a gratuity of the socially accepted norm of a dollar.

A cab driver picks you up at the airport and takes you to your hotel. This action warrants a gratuity of the socially accepted norm of a dollar.

A bartender serves you a drink. This action warrants a gratuity of the socially accepted norm of a dollar.

A poker dealer deals you a winning hand. This action warrants a gratuity of the socially accepted norm of a dollar.

The frequency of gratuity is directly related to the quantity of gratuity.

The amount of gratuity is directly related quality of service based on: skill, accuracy, courtesy, friendliness, etc.

A card dealer happens to deal a “bad beat jackpot” hand and a patron wins a substantial amount of money. This certain card dealer who is a part of this sector of the “patron service” industry believes that he is entitled to more than his/her customary dollar gratuity, although his “customary gratuity” is extended based upon his skill, accuracy, and attitude while dealing cards.

No extra skill was involved in dealing this particular hand.

Waiters, waitresses, doormen, valet, cab drivers, pizza delivery men, bartenders, etc…… don’t have bad beat jackpots, yet they work equally as hard at a similar occupation with similar demands.

Why should card dealers periodically benefit substantially from the luck of patrons who hit a bad beat and receive more than their fair share?
What substantial extra skill (which would merit substantially greater gratuity)_was involved when dealing that particular hand?

Ianco15
04-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Logically the dealer shouldn't receive an extra tip for dealing a BBJ, but you will look like a tool if you don't tip more.

[censored]
04-19-2005, 04:23 AM
Again with this [censored] dude?

shawn_p
04-19-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Logically the dealer shouldn't receive an extra tip for dealing a BBJ, but you will look like a tool if you don't tip more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why based on my observations.

shawn_p
04-19-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seek a logical explaination for excessive tipping of card dealers.

jason_t
04-19-2005, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seek a logical explaination for excessive tipping of card dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you seek a logical answer for everything in life then you live a miserable existence. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Dynasty
04-19-2005, 04:56 AM
shawn_p,

Posting the same thread in three forums is poor etiquette.

Ianco15
04-19-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why based on my observations.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree 100% it doesn't make any sense. I'm like you, I like to question things that have no logical explanation. It has become accepted as the norm even though like many other things in life that are considered standard, it makes no sense.

Unfortunately unless you want to look like an ass (even though you're not being one) you have to participate in certain pointless things in society.

Why is it considered socially acceptable for women to go to the bathroom in a group but not men? Not a great example but its late.

JaBlue
04-19-2005, 04:57 AM
it doesn't make sense to tip a dealer after he gives you a winning hand for the same arguments you make against the BBJ. if you don't want to do it, don't do it. whatever.. [censored].

[censored]
04-19-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
shawn_p,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why am I not suprised?

jakethebake
04-19-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
shawn_p,

[/ QUOTE ]

shawn_p,

posting a thread saying essentially the same thing every week is poor etiquette.