PDA

View Full Version : Flopping a straight

Derek132260
04-19-2005, 04:13 AM
Villain is TP. How'd I do?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

jaxUp
04-19-2005, 04:19 AM
Looks pretty good. We're pretty invulnerable on this flop. I like this slowplay (can't believe I just said that). If he had 88 just think of the poker gods smiting (sp?) you for attempting a slowplay.

Entity
04-19-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We're pretty invulnerable on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Straights are very vulnerable, especially on broadway boards. That said, we should bet because we expect to be called. I think 3-betting the river is overkill against a TP player.

Shillx
04-19-2005, 04:25 AM
Bet the dag gam flop dag gammet!

Brad

Derek132260
04-19-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, we should bet because we expect to be called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I expect to be called by blind rocks?

Entity
04-19-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you expect to be called on the turn or the river? Because the SB&amp;BB have a ton of second-best hands they can make on an AKJ board when they didn't bet out to begin with?

They'll call on the flop a lot more often than they'll call on the turn, and they'll call on the turn a lot more often than on the river.

jaxUp
04-19-2005, 04:36 AM
hmmm...I was thinking that we were okay vs solely the blinds, with no preflop aggression. Betting because they're likely to call makes sense, and I think that was a poor judgement on my part. But I am having a hard time feeling vulnerable in this spot against these players, in an unraised pot. Maybe I need you to break it down, E-dawg style or give me a revelation-inducing thing to think about.

Derek132260
04-19-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why do you expect to be called on the turn or the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, totally willing to accept if I made a flop error...but...in answer to that question -- I wasn't expecting to be called on the turn...my flop check got BB to bet out on the turn. Being that he's tight-passive, AND being that he's BB, I don't know that he even HAS a broadway card, and even if he does, whether he'll call a flop bet seeing an A and K on board. But checking the flop obviously allowed him to hit something that he didn't like enough to bet on the flop but that he did like enough to bet on the turn...or it gave him the balls to try a bluff, either of which is better than folding to one bet on the flop. I'm having trouble seeing why that was an error.

xenthebrain
04-19-2005, 06:49 AM
bet the flop. With so many high cards on board you will get callen by someone who has anything, but it is unlikely that they will call a turnbet with nothing or a turned small pair in this tiny pot then.

deepsquat
04-19-2005, 07:08 AM
bet the flop, they arent going to put you on the nut str8.

benkath1
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
The river turned out nice, but you gotta bet that flop. They don't know you flopped the nuts. Any A K Q J 10 is going to call. Now if you bet and someone raises, I might consider slowing down to attempt a C/R on the turn.

Ben

McGahee
04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Bet the flop. Either they have paint or they don't. If they don't you're not going to get payed off anyway, but you have to give them the chance.

ajrenni
04-19-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't really like the slowplay here. Yes the pot is small and a bet might drive out your opponents. But tight-weak opponents often limp with hands like AJ, so you could be against players who are drawing to a hand that beats yours, not a probable second-best hand. If these are tight players, the flop has probably hit them somewhat, so the chances of getting called are decent, especially since you are last to act.

LALDAAS
04-19-2005, 11:01 AM
BET THE FLOP!

Question:

[ QUOTE ]
We're pretty invulnerable on this flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

If the board does pair which it did, and or a 3rd spade hits we are in trouble.

Raise to protect.

Mister Z
04-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Bet this flop. You're just missing value by not betting the flop. The rest is fine I guess.

Mister Z
04-19-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you expect to be called on the turn or the river? Because the SB&amp;BB have a ton of second-best hands they can make on an AKJ board when they didn't bet out to begin with?

They'll call on the flop a lot more often than they'll call on the turn, and they'll call on the turn a lot more often than on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it.

Derek132260
04-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Well, thanks all for the analysis. I did actually get exactly what I wanted out of the slowplay...villain hit his third jack on the turn (with jack-rag, I am very unsure that he would have called me on the flop given how rock-ish he is...14/2/.75).

However...his rag turned out to be an 8, which showed up on the river, giving him jacks full of eights. That sucked. Just wondering what you guys would have done differently. Maybe I should have just bet out the flop.

Thanks.