PDA

View Full Version : NYU or LMU or Syracuse?

Popinjay
04-19-2005, 04:09 AM
I have these three options for my freshman year of college next year: New York University, Loyola Marymount University, or Syracuse University.

I am pretty sure I want to double major in film and philosophy, and eventually end up making films or owning my own advertising agency. I have no real experience in making films besides some fun little things I did for school as projects. So I don't really have a portfolio. Money's not really a factor as all three are gonna cost about the same after scholarships etc.

If anyone has any experience with one of these schools could you please give me some advice?

contentless
04-19-2005, 04:11 AM
Based on reputation for film and philosophy, NYU.

Edit: Before you go running off for NYU, just remember that it has one of the highest suicide rates of any school. Food for thought.

DanS
04-19-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on reputation for film and philosophy, NYU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Socal sucks balls, and Syracuse is cold. NYU!

Dan

PoBoy321
04-19-2005, 04:16 AM
Syracuse has one of the top 3 film programs in country.

That said, upstate New York sucks in the winter.

NYU.

Nick B.
04-19-2005, 04:24 AM
Go to Syracuse. Close to the Turning Stone.

Popinjay
04-19-2005, 04:24 AM
ya but LMU is right in LA, close to commerce

as for NYU, looks like I'll be stuck playing at KGB's place

styleish
04-19-2005, 05:58 AM
if you really enjoy the city, don't mind not having a college campus, and can afford it, go to nyu.

beset7
04-19-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ya but LMU is right in LA, close to commerce

as for NYU, looks like I'll be stuck playing at KGB's place

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a west coast bias jay (seattleite myself; from the 2+2 game the other night) and people think I'm sick but I love LA. I vote LMU. Lots more opportunity in film as well. My friend went a second-tier film school in LA (Chapman University) and he has been way more successful then some fools I know who went to NYU just by virtue of making contacts in LA. If you're going to work in Film or TV then you're going to want to be in LA anyways so may as well learn to love it.

And oh yeah, the commerce is the shiznit.

OrangeHeat
04-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Go to SU because I need some players to start a home game.

Orange

Serious answer - SU has a nice campus and wide variety of well ranked programs that you can switch to if it turns out that you don't like film. The winters aren't that bad in Syracuse - 15 miles north where I live they suck because it is the fricken snow belt.

The DestinyUSA project is also started which is multibillion dollar entertainment project, coupled with a multibillion dollar research park. The research park alone will bring 100,000 jobs. The city has some potential in the next few years.

Meh - I sound like a visitors bureau guide.

Gl - wherever you choose.

Los Feliz Slim
04-19-2005, 09:36 AM
I live in LA and work in the entertainment industry and I can tell you that where you went to college doesn't mean [censored] in this business. But, if you want to get a summer job as a PA in LA, LMU is the way to go. Also, the weather here kicks ass. I didn't look at your location, but I advocate going as far away from home as possible for college, it'll expand your horizons.

EDIT: Go wherever you're going to have the most fun and get laid the most. Worry about what you're going to do for a living AFTER college.

Dead
04-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Syracuse. I grew up there and live there when I am not at school.

It is a great college town.

Paluka
04-19-2005, 09:43 AM
NYU seems like a layup here if you can afford to live in NYC.

lucas9000
04-19-2005, 09:45 AM
if you're goign for film, isn't nyu the clear choice?

Popinjay
04-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Well there are some more options to consider than just reputation. for instance i have no portfolio which might be a hindrance to getting into film classes at NYU vs. LMU where it wouldn't be a problem. Also, NYU has no campus and also has a 4600 freshman class compared to LMU's 1330. LMU is situated in LA where it might? be a easier to establish contacts.

Evan
04-19-2005, 11:12 AM
I am a sophomore at NYU. We have a lot of film geeks that do a lot of cool [censored]. Assuming you've already been accepted, I don't understand how you coul not choose NYU.

Voltron87
04-19-2005, 11:14 AM
If you've gotten into NYU (which you probably have since it's April), and can afford to go, and your other two choices are Syracuse and LMU, go to NYU. Downtown NY is a lot of fun, and NYU has a great film school.

zaxx19
04-19-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NYU seems like a layup here if you can afford to live in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

If $$ isnt an option....NYU is a dunk.

The other 2 arent even close.

Ten7offsuit
04-19-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have these three options for my freshman year of college next year: New York University, Loyola Marymount University, or Syracuse University.

I am pretty sure I want to double major in film and philosophy, and eventually end up making films or owning my own advertising agency. I have no real experience in making films besides some fun little things I did for school as projects. So I don't really have a portfolio. Money's not really a factor as all three are gonna cost about the same after scholarships etc.

If anyone has any experience with one of these schools could you please give me some advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you accepted to Tisch for film production? If so, and money isn't a huge concern, NYU is the way to go if you're serious about film. Though Syracuse and LMU are nice schools with strong film programs that are growing rapidly, they still can't compare to NYU in terms of the quality of the film classes and the kind of film students you'll be surrounded by.

AdamBragar
04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Did you get into the Tisch school at NYU? How committed are you to film?

I was dead set on being a stock broker when I was going into college. Now that I've graduated, I'd gouge my eyes out if I were a stock broker.

I personally know a lot of people who do film at NYU and love it. It's not high pressure at all. But, my guess is better opportunities for summer internships and possibly following college would come from LMU.

Also, factor in the fact if you want a campus experience or not. NYU provides no campus experience and is essentially like living in the city and happening to go to school. Not as much of a community vibe as say, Syracuse.

I was born in NYC and lived there until I went to college, so I clearly didn't want to live in a city for college, but I don't know what the feelings would be if I grew up in the suburbs or something like that.

NYC is awesome though and the NYU area is absolutely amazing and a ton of fun.

With those 3 choices you can't go wrong.

turnipmonster
04-19-2005, 11:42 AM
does nyu really cost the same as syracuse? this is very surprising.

KaneKungFu123
04-19-2005, 11:43 AM
why not minor in being a rockstar, just incase the first two ideas fall through...

i say that jokingly. i didnt even go to college.

you should read the book rebel without a crew.

and also get the movie el mariachi with the director commnetary.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten7offsuit
04-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Oh, and in case you haven't already, checked out http://www.nyu.edu/tisch.nyu.

Evan
04-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Nope.

Diplomat
04-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Jesus. You want to do film and philosophy, and you got into NYU? And you are even considering anywhere else? Get your marbles straight and accept before they realized their mistake. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You can play poker online.

-Diplomat

slickpoppa
04-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Even if the tuition is the same, you will definitely end up spending more money at NYU.

The girls ar Syracuse are really hot.

Dominic
04-19-2005, 12:29 PM
I went to NYU film school and got my Masters at Loyola. My brother went to Syracuse and I visited him there often.

NYU is awesome - especially if you've never lived in New York before - everyone should do that at least once.

L.A. is equally awesome - just completely different!

Either one of those and you'll have a blast.

DO NOT GO TO SYRACUSE!!!!

good school, don't get me wrong - but do you really want to go somewhere where the girls are way below average looking and you get - on average - 14 days of sun out of the year?

Didn't think so.

Dead
04-19-2005, 12:31 PM
The girls are not way below average looking. You don't know what you're talking about. The girls at SU are above average looking, definitely.

slickpoppa
04-19-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to NYU film school and got my Masters at Loyola. My brother went to Syracuse and I visited him there often.

NYU is awesome - especially if you've never lived in New York before - everyone should do that at least once.

L.A. is equally awesome - just completely different!

Either one of those and you'll have a blast.

DO NOT GO TO SYRACUSE!!!!

good school, don't get me wrong - but do you really want to go somewhere where the girls are way below average looking and you get - on average - 14 days of sun out of the year?

Didn't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

The girls who go to Syracuse are hotter than the girls that go to NYU. There are more hot women overall in NY, but they don't want to have anything to do with poor college kids.

Dominic
04-19-2005, 12:38 PM
all three film programs are top rate, by the way.

but to be more than honest, it doesn't matter. The film industry is not like others - no one cares where you went to school - they care if you know what you're doing.

In fact, take someone who goes to film school and put them up against someone who has been grinding it out for the same amount of time asa P.A.,Grip, whatever - I'll take the P.A. everytime.

And so will most people in the film industry.

But film school is worthwhile if you have no access to the equipment to make films. If you already make films on your own - and with the ease of digital filmmaking and editing software these days - you really should be - why would you need film school?

Find an internship or job at a commercial production company or post house - you'll be four years ahead of all the other guys who went to film school - with the connections you need to survive in the business!

Just my two cents.

Dominic
04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The girls are not way below average looking. You don't know what you're talking about. The girls at SU are above average looking, definitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you think bloated, bovine, frizzy-haired, feminists are above average looking, then I agree with you.

Popinjay
04-19-2005, 04:03 PM
I didn't get into the Tisch school but the College of Arts and Science. Is that going to be a problem?

Right now honestly I am leaning towards LMU. My main reason is the fact that LMU has a campus, not only a campus but a really great campus. I don't know if I could deal with living w/o that kind of community if you will as well as being 1 of nearly 5000 in a freshman class.

Dominic
04-19-2005, 05:53 PM
LMU isa great school and near the ocean....nice little community around the campus and one that's not "L.A. crazy."

Also, LMU is asmaller school, but with better equipment then you'll find at NYU...you'll also have more attention from the faculty there.

Popinjay
04-19-2005, 06:00 PM
LMU campus (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+LMU+Drive,+Los+Angeles,+California+90045-2659&ll=33.969780,-118.418498&spn=0.009720,0.014098&t=k&hl=en)

beach (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+LMU+Drive,+Los+Angeles,+California+90045-2659&ll=33.969769,-118.418498&spn=0.080080,0.112782&t=k&hl=en)

Dominic
04-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Um, that link says its Overland Pk., Kansas.

I know it ain't LMU in L.A....I went there. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popinjay
04-19-2005, 06:03 PM
ya messed it up, edit is good though now

Dominic
04-19-2005, 06:08 PM
how do you get satellite photos from google maps???

too cool

Popinjay
04-19-2005, 06:09 PM
type in the address you want and hit enter

Dominic
04-19-2005, 06:11 PM
no, I know how to get their maps, but you linked to a satellite photo! how'd you do that??

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popinjay
04-19-2005, 06:13 PM
ohh yea, you hit satellite on the top right. kind of hard to see

john smith
04-19-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can't be a film production major at NYU if you're not in Tisch, though you could try to transfer into the film program during your freshman or sophomore year.

LMU has a nice location, close to the beach, close to L.A. which means good internship/work opportunities, and the girls are supposed to be pretty hot (though this doesn't really mean much unless you have a good chance of scoring with these chicks). So it's nice to be near the beach if you like going to the beach, and L.A. is a cool place (sort of). And yeah, you have much better internship and work opportunities in L.A. than you would have elsewhere, but it's tough to get a decent internship in such a competitive field, and honestly, most internships won't really do much for you, it'll just teach you how to do some basic work and fill up a space in your resume. As for the work opportunities, once again, it's hard as hell to break into the industry, because for every decent job you apply for, there are a hundred other guys just like you trying to get that same job, and most will have more education and experience than you. Getting a job working for free on a set is fairly easy but it doesn't take you very far at all unless you get lucky and make good contacts with someone who ends up making it big in hollywood and he/she remembers you and gets you a job, but the chance of this happening is "on par with dead being voted Ms. OOT" (quote from cnfzzd).

I have a bunch more that I was going to type (I was in your situation a few years ago) but I just realized that I'm rambling and probably boring you. If you have any questions though, send me a PM and we can talk.

B Dids
04-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Freshman year? Aren't you already in school at Seattle U? Seems like enough of those credits should transfer that you wouldn't come in with a Freshman class standing.

goodguy_1
04-19-2005, 08:03 PM
go to NYU my alma mater if you like living in the close confines of a city-NYC is not for everyone.I'm from Princeton,NJ so I've always known the city but IF I had to do it over I would have gone to a southern California school-I'm not a city guy.but NYU is awesome for film.I was a finance major.

NLSoldier
04-19-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't get into the Tisch school but the College of Arts and Science. Is that going to be a problem?

Right now honestly I am leaning towards LMU. My main reason is the fact that LMU has a campus, not only a campus but a really great campus. I don't know if I could deal with living w/o that kind of community if you will as well as being 1 of nearly 5000 in a freshman class.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are teh same reasons I was going to suggest LMU.