PDA

View Full Version : A Blind steal meets resistence

adsman
04-19-2005, 03:21 AM
Opponent here is tight but he's straight forward. If he's got the goods he bets, if he doesn't he folds. Saying that, what do you do on the river?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

jaxUp
04-19-2005, 03:25 AM
Cap the turn. Get 1 bet in on the river.

KCheng
04-19-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Worth it with the 2nd nuts here.

adsman
04-19-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you putting Villian on? He 3 bet preflop and he 3 bet that Turn. He also led the river.

KCheng
04-19-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What are you putting Villian on? He 3 bet preflop and he 3 bet that Turn. He also led the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention that...

You mentioned villian was tight. Maybe he has AKo(K of d)?

aK13
04-19-2005, 03:36 AM
I put BB on AA or AK, as I see only these 2 hands playing this way. I would cap the turn, and if he fires on the river, I call down, expecting him to flip a K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif .

Maurader1
04-19-2005, 03:55 AM
if he is as tight as you describe, i would think that he is raising pf with a high pocket pair, AA-TT...having said that, only one possibility KdK would have you beat...given the turn action, i think we can rule out QQ-TT, so the only thing I can imagine is AA or KdK...since he is tight, if he had KK, he might not bet after the A fell on the flop, so I would lean towards him having AA and raise/cap the river...is this spewing chips?

flo
04-19-2005, 04:09 AM
Push more! Raise flop, you are usually ahead here.

.oO(without reading other responses, woohoo! :&gt; )

Entity
04-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Raise the flop.

SlantNGo
04-19-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think a tight, straightforward player would dump a TT, JJ, KK to a flop raise with a monotone board?

McGahee
04-19-2005, 09:58 AM
I would raise the flop. Put yourself in villian's shoes. Do you EVER give your opponent credit for a made flush when 3 suited cards fall on the flop HU?

McGahee
04-19-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think a tight, straightforward player would dump a TT, JJ, KK to a flop raise with a monotone board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding to a single flop raise? No way. Assuming villian doesn't have a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, even the tighest, most passive players are not dumping HU unless a 4th /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hits the board. Most of the time it won't.

benkath1
04-19-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he's got the goods he bets

[/ QUOTE ]

define 'goods'. goods as in AA or goods as in K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Is he a solid player with knowledge of blind defense, or only bets when he has a hand?

Why not raise the flop? I think that's when you had the best hand. Raising the turn after not raising the flop I think is ok, but I like to get informantion about the hand on the cheaper street. I would have to call the river after I've come this far.

Ben

Rambino
04-19-2005, 10:10 AM
I put him on AA. That's the only hand that people will always bet, even into a scary board. Villain knows he has trip aces, and that's all he cares about. He wouldn't have bet KK on the flop. AK is a possibility, but your villain doesn't sound like he would 3-bet AK.

UNLESS, of course, you have been stealing a lot, to the point where this guy thinks you are full of it. Then his range of hands is much broader...

@bsolute_luck
04-19-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I put him on AA. That's the only hand that people will always bet, even into a scary board. Villain knows he has trip aces, and that's all he cares about. He wouldn't have bet KK on the flop. AK is a possibility, but your villain doesn't sound like he would 3-bet AK.

UNLESS, of course, you have been stealing a lot, to the point where this guy thinks you are full of it. Then his range of hands is much broader...

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif that's a helluva handread there to nail him on 1 hand. To the OP: how confident are you in your tight read? some may think i'm tight, but i'm firing back with number of hands from BB to a possible blind steal.

flop: he probably has a pair of aces. raise. HU, i wouldn't think ANYONE would think you flopped 2nd best flush.

turn: he probably thinks you're bluffing, so fires back.
river: he still thinks you're bluffing most likely.

i think you have to be more aggressive somewhere. i like the call on the flop only because it sets up an appearance of a bluff attempt on the turn. i'd cap the river. i don't know if it's optimal or anything, but a fun way to play it.
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGahee
04-19-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think you have to be more aggressive somewhere. i like the call on the flop only because it sets up an appearance of a bluff attempt on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I might like that for a 10/20 game. But for .5/1 Party? A flop call and a turn raise certainly doesn't look like a bluff. A flop raise does.

@bsolute_luck
04-19-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think you have to be more aggressive somewhere. i like the call on the flop only because it sets up an appearance of a bluff attempt on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I might like that for a 10/20 game. But for .5/1 Party? A flop call and a turn raise certainly doesn't look like a bluff. A flop raise does.

[/ QUOTE ]

well then i'm moving up /images/graemlins/laugh.gif going from .25/.5 to 10/20 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

so we should rearrange to flop raise. call the turn and cap river...obviously for fun. the other way to play it i guess would be: raise the flop, call the 3-bet, raise again on the turn and call down if 3-bet for possible k/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

adsman
04-19-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he's got the goods he bets

[/ QUOTE ]

define 'goods'. goods as in AA or goods as in K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Is he a solid player with knowledge of blind defense, or only bets when he has a hand?

Why not raise the flop? I think that's when you had the best hand. Raising the turn after not raising the flop I think is ok, but I like to get informantion about the hand on the cheaper street. I would have to call the river after I've come this far.

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

"Goods" would be defined as, he will bet agressively with TPTK, 2 pair etc. He won't bet middle pair etc. He's not a rock but he's close to it. Very straight forward. If he doesn't have anything he folds as soon as you push back. That's why I called the flop. So he could have AA, he could have AK with the /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, but I think that the minimum that he's got would be a set. I have a few hundred hands on him, and he doesn't seem to like me, (God knows why...)

Rosencrantz1
04-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I think you have to call him down on the river. I don't see much value in raising what will no doubt be bet from him; it's a decent enough pot as-is. I think that, given how tight he is, you have to give him a better-than-average chance of having K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I say call the river and see what's what.

For what it's worth, I think he probably has a worse read on you here than you do on him. He probably has you on two-pair or trips, maybe a weaker flush than you have.