PDA

View Full Version : Is this a standard move in level 3.

Freudian
04-19-2005, 02:36 AM
Don't have a hand history. Assume it is a hypothetical situation where you are CO with 600 chips. You get AK. Before you two people limp so there is 175 chips in the pot.

This is an auto-push to pick up the chips, right? If you have JJ, the same?

spentrent
04-19-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't have a hand history. Assume it is a hypothetical situation where you are CO with 600 chips. You get AK. Before you two people limp so there is 175 chips in the pot.

This is an auto-push to pick up the chips, right? If you have JJ, the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the limpers' positions, it may be an autopush with any two. However, do take note of my screen name for this forum.

EverettKings
04-19-2005, 02:44 AM
AK is absolutely autopush. JJ taking a flop is actually a viable option, situation dependent, although pushing is my standard line.

And like spentrent said, if theyre limping more than they should and you need some blinds, this is a great spot to shove a hand like 89s. I wouldnt do ANY two in this particular spot, i'd want something that does decently seeing 5 cards.

-Kings

Freudian
04-19-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AK is absolutely autopush. JJ taking a flop is actually a viable option, situation dependent, although pushing is my standard line.

And like spentrent said, if theyre limping more than they should and you need some blinds, this is a great spot to shove a hand like 89s. I wouldnt do ANY two in this particular spot, i'd want something that does decently seeing 5 cards.

-Kings

[/ QUOTE ]

When I get too frisky in level 3 the poker gods strike me down with vengeance.

spentrent
04-19-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're in LP or one of the blinds. One guy open-limps in the middle. There are now 125 chips on the table.

[censored] the Poker Gods; take the dead money!

EverettKings
04-19-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

-Kings

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I personally cast protective spells when I run bad but that's a bit advanced for this thread.

Seriously though, why do you say that? I feel like you get that feeling for a reason.

-Kings

Freudian
04-19-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously though, why do you say that? I feel like you get that feeling for a reason.

-Kings

[/ QUOTE ]

Just poor results in the very small sample when I tried steals there (BB deciding to call with AT/88 or something like that). I just feel I need somewhat of a legitimate hand to risk 600 chips for 125 chips.

Apathy
04-19-2005, 03:06 AM
I know everyone here loves pushing AK and JJ and stuff but I really prefer making a big raise, like 175 plus limpers. And then pushing all in regardless of the flop. A ton of people call and fold if they miss which earns you many more chips without great risk.

EverettKings
04-19-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know everyone here loves pushing AK and JJ and stuff but I really prefer making a big raise, like 175 plus limpers. And then pushing all in regardless of the flop. A ton of people call and fold if they miss which earns you many more chips without great risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

175 + limpers? whats that make, 275? Raising half your stack makes no sense to me here. It leaves no room for postflop play, and getting 2:1 on the call... someone might try to outflop you. If I get your whole stack when I hit, I'm getting better than 3:1 on this call, so I can play my limped JTs and see if I like the flop. I'm not actually saying I'd do that but you're giving them free implied odds with this line.

-Kings

Apathy
04-19-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you're giving them free implied odds with this line.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do the math you will see why this is wrong, and opponents frequently make the mistake of this thinking and give away chips.

Check your assumptions, they are mis-guided, find out how often J-10 (your example) flops a pair, (remember it has to be a pair when an ace or K is not on board) AND has the hand hold up against heros 6-10 outs.

Not to mention the number of times you will get called by A-10 A-9 etc etc that would fold to a push, they only have 3 clean outs you would need to FLOP to win the hand, and if an ace hits you done for all your chips to 3 outs when you usually would have just folded to the push. (assuming a K isnt on board too).

EverettKings
04-19-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you do the math you will see why this is wrong, and opponents frequently make the mistake of this thinking and give away chips.

Check your assumptions, they are mis-guided, find out how often J-10 (your example) flops a pair, (remember it has to be a pair when an ace or K is not on board) AND has the hand hold up against heros 6-10 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can do the math, and I know i was exaggerating. Hence why I said I wouldn't actually play like this (i.e. call with JT). My point was that they make a much bigger mistake calling all in preflop than paying half and only continuing when they improve.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the number of times you will get called by A-10 A-9 etc etc that would fold to a push, they only have 3 clean outs you would need to FLOP to win the hand, and if an ace hits you done for all your chips to 3 outs when you usually would have just folded to the push. (assuming a K isnt on board too).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how these hands would call 275 but not 600, or if they would call either, how this is favorable. I don't want to make dominated hands hit the flop, I want them all in preflop.

Do you also plan to call if he puts you all in on a flop that you miss? That creates problems too.

-Kings

Apathy
04-19-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how these hands would call 275 but not 600, or if they would call either, how this is favorable. I don't want to make dominated hands hit the flop, I want them all in preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your both missing the point and showing a lack of experience, but that's ok.

-Players WILL call with way more hands for 275 then for 600 after limping in (showing weakness).

- I have shown (I hope by now) why it is more profitable that these players call you rather then fold.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to make dominated hands hit the flop, I want them all in preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is very little chance a push PF is being called by one of the limpers, and if they would call PF the moneys gettin in on the flop just the same anyways. There may be the odd time A-10 wouldve called a push but instead called and then check folded the flop, but what you gain greatly compensates for this rarity.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you also plan to call if he puts you all in on a flop that you miss? That creates problems too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, you always call. 100% of the time.