PDA

View Full Version : bubble hand - disconnected player

Paul2432
04-18-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm pretty sure I screwed this one up. The BB was disconnected and had been for some time. I essentially had a lock on third. How strong a hand do I need to play here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2045)
Hero (t2055)
SB (t5675)
BB (t225)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero??.

Paul

se2schul
04-19-2005, 08:45 AM
A lot has to do with how the other players have been playing. If they're super tight, I'd minraise or push. If they've been aggressive or calling a lot, fold and let the other two fight over the disconnected player's blind. If possible, I'd use this disconnected player to bully the other 2 players, but this really depends on what type of player they are.

ss

jah0550
04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
I fold AA here. No matter what 2 cards you have, calling/raising is very -$EV. It might be +EV in terms of chips, but in money it is hugely -EV. The BB will blind out on the next orbit and you have enough chips that once it gets 3 handed, you still have plenty of FE with the big stack. Don't undervalue 3rd. Playing for 1st every time isn't always the correct strategy.

Paul2432
04-19-2005, 09:42 AM
I don't know if I'd fold AA, but I certainly should have folded A9s. Instead I raised all-in, SB called with AJo. BB had 86o and hit an eight on the flop. I'm out fourth.

Paul

se2schul
04-19-2005, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't fold AA here, or KK or even QQ. If everyone were playing super tight, then I'd play much weaker hands, but likely with minraises as opposed to pushing.

BTW, I think that the player calling with AJ made a horrible play. Pushing with A9 is MUCH better than calling with AJ. If I had been the big stack, there would only be 3, maybe 4 hands I would've called with.

All this of course depends greatly on how the SB has been playing up to this point. It's truly hard to make a decision without this information.

Scuba Chuck
04-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Paul, you didn't post what buyin this is, but put yourself in super big stack's shoes. What do you think he's thinking about (assuming he's a semi-smart player)? The one thing you know for sure is that you cannot mini-raise as you are just feeding chips to him.

This is a very tempting steal/play against short stack hand. I'd be very tempted to push. I hope you took a little time to think this through, before you did so, but I think the best play here is to call or fold. Any raising whatsoever is unwanted danger, IMO.

se2schul
04-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Good point.

Calling, folding, and even pushing are probably better than minraising. Would you even do this is the SB had been extremely passive up to this point?

Scuba Chuck
04-19-2005, 11:07 AM
FWIW, I'd call with AJ here if I were big stack, because I'd call with AJ if this were 3 way, and this hand is essentially a 3 way hand. I hope you're able to see this. If you're the big stack, you have to call with AJ here. If you don't, it's a leak.

Back to your point se2schul. If SB had been extremely passive, I might consider other options. By passive, I assume you mean very tight. I guess if I had that read, then the mini-raise comes back into play. But without any strong reads, I think a call here is the best play. Then folding.

Paul2432
04-19-2005, 11:47 AM
This was a 109. In retrospect, I think calling is probably the right play. I was multi-tabling, so I may have missed something, but the SB seemed straight forward.

Note that it can't be a steal. The short stack is all-in for less than a BB.

Paul

Nottom
04-19-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold AA here. No matter what 2 cards you have, calling/raising is very -$EV. It might be +EV in terms of chips, but in money it is hugely -EV. The BB will blind out on the next orbit and you have enough chips that once it gets 3 handed, you still have plenty of FE with the big stack. Don't undervalue 3rd. Playing for 1st every time isn't always the correct strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not another attempt to fold AA /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nottom
04-19-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I'd call with AJ here if I were big stack, because I'd call with AJ if this were 3 way, and this hand is essentially a 3 way hand. I hope you're able to see this. If you're the big stack, you have to call with AJ here. If you don't, it's a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

As the big stack I would probably call with AJs, but to say this situation is the same as 3-way is absurd.

Scuba Chuck
04-19-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As the big stack I would probably call with AJs, but to say this situation is the same as 3-way is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the big stack's point of view? How is that absurd?

willie
04-19-2005, 12:18 PM
i call and attempt to check down.

Nottom
04-19-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From the big stack's point of view? How is that absurd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because with the micro-stack around the play of the other players changes dramatically. If this was a true 3-handed pot, your calling standards should be considerably lower.

Scuba Chuck
04-19-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because with the micro-stack around the play of the other players changes dramatically. If this was a true 3-handed pot, your calling standards should be considerably lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're arguing semantics.