PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Hand

deception5
04-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

UTG is loose and aggressive when not kept in check. I felt I could clean up my ace out &amp; get a free card so I raised the flop with 6 outs or so.

The turn brought me to 12+ so I bet figuring my folding equity (being the pfr and flop raiser) was reasonable and if not my hand had a lot of outs.

Should I play this more passively anywhere?

Rev. Good Will
04-18-2005, 11:34 PM
nice hand

toss
04-18-2005, 11:34 PM
No this looks good to me.

Aaron W.
04-18-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

UTG is loose and aggressive when not kept in check. I felt I could clean up my ace out &amp; get a free card so I raised the flop with 6 outs or so.

The turn brought me to 12+ so I bet figuring my folding equity (being the pfr and flop raiser) was reasonable and if not my hand had a lot of outs.

Should I play this more passively anywhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clean up your ace out? How does that work? You're not folding A2, AK, AT, or QJ in this spot.

Betting the turn here is fine. So is checking. It's really read dependent, as you may have a small fold equity or a large fold equity depending on the player.

Without a read, I'd check, mostly because you're compelled to call a check-raise since you have lots of outs and the pot is still really small (so that folding the river isn't that bad -- it's only 5.75 BB if you check the turn). If you didn't have the flush draw, you could easily fold to a check-raise. This is a pretty clear case of checking with outs and betting without them.

yellowjack
04-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I don't like the way you played this because of your read of UTG. Suppose you know that you're ahead on the flop with ace high -- you don't want to slow him down so call the flop. Same for the turn, if you think your ace high is good. Note that your hand is only good if he bluffs a lot of the time.

Against a loose player, you have virtually no folding equity on the turn whether it be vs. a made or hand or drawing hand. You only have him fold a bluffing hand, but you don't want that!

Against a loose and aggressive player even, I fold this flop. Even if you have UTG somewhat covered because you have two overcards and a gutshot, your outs need to be clean vs. the button as well.

I don't think I would ever raise this flop in any situation.

Edit: I think I need my copy of SSHE back /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Shillx
04-18-2005, 11:43 PM

It is highly doubtful that you will have any fold equity here. The LAG isn't going to jettison a pair often and certainly not a flush draw or straight draw. You also have to be concerned about a few other things as well:

A) How often will I get check/raised?
B) How often will he bluff the river?

Depending on the frequency of both B and C, I like checking the turn a lot and then calling a bet on the river (at least a non-/images/graemlins/heart.gif river) against a typical LAG. The best time to bet again is against someone who has done nothing but check and call. The reason why you should bet again is because you a) don't want to give a possible free card and b) you give him a chance to throw away a better hand. And while this might be a value bet on 4th street, you won't get a better hand to fold here and you will get check/raised a decent amount of the time imo.

Brad

deception5
04-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Good points made, thanks for the feedback.

[ QUOTE ]
Clean up your ace out? How does that work? You're not folding A2, AK, AT, or QJ in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right of course, any ace hand that would call one here will likely call 2.

I don't think this guy was a typical lag - he was more aggressive when checked to but not ridiculously so - an aggression factor of about 2.