PDA

View Full Version : I feel lost again

Guy Incognito
04-18-2005, 10:46 PM
PFR is 26/15/1.6
Villain is 34/6/.8

Not really sure about my action on every street (well, except the turn, would have folded to a bet)

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks.

River: (5.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Harv72b
04-18-2005, 10:55 PM
I play it the same thru the turn. I check the river and call an UTG bet + CO fold, fold to a bet otherwise. I'm expecting CO to be hanging in with a pocket pair, which by definition beats your hand.

I don't like betting the river at all, as I can't see very many people calling with a hand you beat.

Guy Incognito
04-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Good call, CO had 55. I guess I was more focused on UTG's hand (I'm guessing AQ-AT) and figured I'd try and represent a 7 or weak K when the turn got checked through, and hope he'd fold a hand like that.

Also wanted to make sure I was correct in calling the raise in the BB, and closing the action on the flop with the bottom pair + backdoor flush.

Webster
04-18-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm out of that hand on the flop - you have nothing and are going against an aggressive UTG. Unless you KNOW the guy you have to think that he has better then A2.

you have nothing - You can't count 2s as an out because even if you get 1 you have a good chance of losing ANYWAY, you don't have a flush draw. you CAN get an Ace for 3 outs but the pot is way way to small to continue.

No brainer - fold the puppy. Choose your battles - don't let them choose you.

[ QUOTE ]
closing the action on the flop with the bottom pair + backdoor flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was wrong - however - calling the raise preflop was OK.

Think about it - why would you call the pre-flop raise - you are looking for a flush draw OR an Ace right? You did not get either. What you got was a tease that even if you hit - you might lose.

Stack
04-18-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Choose your battles - don't let them choose you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like it.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> I'm out of the hand on the flop... You can't count 2s as an out because even if you get 1 you have a good chance of losing ANYWAY</pre><hr />
I don't like it. What makes you thing he will loose if he hits another 2? I don't see any danger on that flop for trip 2s.

Getting 9:1 on the flop, for me a call is a no brainer.

Harv72b
04-18-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm out of that hand on the flop - you have nothing and are going against an aggressive UTG. Unless you KNOW the guy you have to think that he has better then A2.you have nothing - You can't count 2s as an out because even if you get 1 you have a good chance of losing ANYWAY, you don't have a flush draw. you CAN get an Ace for 3 outs but the pot is way way to small to continue.

No brainer - fold the puppy. Choose your battles - don't let them choose you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss that Hero paired his 2 on the flop?

PokerProdigy
04-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Your play looks fine IMO, except for the river. Why bet the river? This looks like a classic case where you'll be called or raised when beat, but they'll fold if they're beat. Therefore, this is the perfect situation to check/call because it may induce a bluff.

Webster
04-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Well - Mason talks about 2's and it's happened to me more then once. Perhaps I am more conservative with 2s then most or perhaps I've see 2s more times then is normal. OR - perhaps I'm, a weanie.

All I see is a hand where many things can go wrong and I don't like being the chaser HOPEING to hit a hand. I would rather be the aggressor HOPEING to hit a hand and that ain't going to happen.

The river bet - check/call.

By betting you risk being raised, You have to think you are 2nd so betting you will either be raised OR called. Either way you lose 1 bet.

Ify ou check you will STILL need to call a bet but take the raise out of the problem and MAYBE it'll be checked and you can save a bet.

Ass Master
04-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Preflop and flop were fine IMO. On the flop your hand should be worth at least 5 outs if you include the backdoor flush draw, and so getting 10:1 while closing the action makes it an easy call.

I don't see the point in the river bet since I think if you're called then you're probably beat, and your bet will not get a better hand to fold.

MCS
04-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Blah. Don't feel happy calling preflop but I do it.

Flop play is fine because you have five outs which should be basically clean, plus the backdoor flush draw. No reason to raise.

Hooray for the turn being checked through.

I don't like the river bet at all. What hand that beats you is folding? What hand that you beat is calling? Like Harv72b, I check and call if UTG bets and CO folds; otherwise, I fold.

MHarris
04-19-2005, 08:36 AM
I like it except for the river bet. I'm thinking Villain will fold anything you beat but call with a bunch of marginal hands that beat you. There's also a pretty decent chance Villain will check behind a bunch of hands that beat you. I'm usually check-folding here, unless I can count on CO to bluff at the river once in a while, in which case I'm check-calling.

oreogod
04-19-2005, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same thru the turn. I check the river and call an UTG bet + CO fold, fold to a bet otherwise. I'm expecting CO to be hanging in with a pocket pair, which by definition beats your hand.

I don't like betting the river at all, as I can't see very many people calling with a hand you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that.

[ QUOTE ]
Good call, CO had 55. I guess I was more focused on UTG's hand (I'm guessing AQ-AT) ...

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be careful of the players who are just hanging around in the background during a hand...they are there for a reason.

HajiShirazu
04-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Especially when the hangers around are always the people most likely to be in there calling on the river.

MisterKing
04-19-2005, 09:05 AM
What's the WSD% for the two villains? If its high enough, you know for sure a river bet is not a good idea. As it stands, I'd pretty much never bet that river -- there aren't a whole lot of busted draws available, and really all you can beat is a bluff with bottom pair.

I don't blame you for the PF and flop calls... you *might* have gotten tricky and found a raise on the flop to clear the field, but I think this is much more likely spewing chips than it is effective poker. Save a bet and check-fold the river, otherwise NH.

mdob
04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I'll (stupidly, I'm sure) go against the grain and say I like the river bet. It's not a good place to bet hoping for people with worse hands to call, but I think there's a decent chance both people will fold. UTG probably doesn't have a K, or he'd have bet the turn. Same goes for CO, who doesn't have a 6 for the same reason. You do have to worry about pocket pairs (and a lucky 7), but I think they have two high cards or a low pocket pair they'll fold often enough to make this bet worth it.

Is this a bet if you know UTG will fold and CO has 55? (I'm really asking-- I would say yes, but sounds like most people would say no.)

MCS
04-19-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a bet if you know UTG will fold and CO has 55? (I'm really asking-- I would say yes, but sounds like most people would say no.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you knew you were only up against one guy with 55, then it's an obvious bet. He'll fold enough to make that play profitable. I also disagree with your contention that most people would say no.