PDA

View Full Version : Odd hand... blinds T200 - totally awful?

octaveshift
04-18-2005, 10:40 PM
I decided to try a new deception technique here, using the "time" button while deciding to complete PF. I had no idea what effect it would have, so I figured I would give it a try and find out. (My theory was that the BB would assume I had some sort of monster and was wondering how to best play it....)

My call to the flop raise is ultra-stenchy.

I'm now convinced my play sucks begining to end. What do you think?

(Villain is a solid 2+2'er.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t5940)
MP (t4200)
CO (t1995)
Button (t2245)
Hero (t2130)
BB (t2990)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t400) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t2000) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1130 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t1130.

River: (t4260) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4260

Ogre
04-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Don't go broke in an unraised pot

LeVoodoo
04-18-2005, 10:45 PM
I won't pretend i've never done anything stupid like this, but whoa, that is one awfully played hand. I'd probably fold PF.

prepotency
04-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Regardless of what he has here, it's obvious that your play didn't work as intended because that board isn't scary to a monster hand and he's obviously not afraid of you. What's he got KQ or QJ or something probably. Or maybe he hit a set and your play worked beautifully. Who knows.

octaveshift
04-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Villain had [Ac 3h], and MHIG.

Just some numbers:

Preflop I am: 39%
On flop I am: 73%
On turn I am: 88%

octaveshift
04-19-2005, 09:45 AM
bump for the morning crowd...

Phil Van Sexton
04-19-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a solid 2+2'er.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had [Ac 3h]

[/ QUOTE ]

And by "solid" you mean "drunk"? Your play was awful, but the villian's was worse. Who is this mystery man? Reveal yourself.

Scuba Chuck
04-19-2005, 10:38 AM
I find this post particularly humorous.

First off, the taking a long time to think move, works best if after the flop. Preflop, I'd assume the pizzaman is at the door.

Next, if you're trying to slow play a monster (let's say you have AA in the hole), would you lead out on the flop? I doubt it, and IF you did, you wouldn't bet more than the minimum (200). You just foiled yourself. No matter what you have, or are pretending to have, checking this flop is the best move here.

Back to the drawing board.

syka16
04-19-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had [Ac 3h]

[/ QUOTE ]

And by "solid" you mean "drunk"? Your play was awful, but the villian's was worse. Who is this mystery man? Reveal yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

and get flamed?

octaveshift
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had [Ac 3h]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be improper for me to say. But, I will say that this is what makes the hand so odd to me.

I _think_ he made the call because a few hands earlier I raised 45h from EP for deception (ala Harrington). I flopped a 4-flush and made a semi-bluff push, and then showed when he folded.

Moral of the story: I was supremely lucky this horrifying play didn't get me clipped.

octaveshift
04-19-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find this post particularly humorous.

[/ QUOTE ]

And embarrassing.

[ QUOTE ]
First off, the taking a long time to think move, works best if after the flop. Preflop, I'd assume the pizzaman is at the door.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do use the postflop stall every now and then, but thought trying it when deciding to complete could prove interesting. I mean, you never know until you try, right?

[ QUOTE ]
Back to the drawing board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brother, you said a mouthful.