PDA

View Full Version : AKo standard?

mperich
04-18-2005, 09:26 PM
No reads, villain is new to the table.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...
Final Pot: 8.75 BB

balkii
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM
maybe i'm leaving bets on the table but betting the river doesnt qualify as standard for me.

billyjex
04-18-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe i'm leaving bets on the table but betting the river doesnt qualify as standard for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here. unless I have a great read that CO loves to raise any ace and take ace high to the river, then I guess this could be a value bet.

xwillience
04-18-2005, 10:08 PM
seems like villain has a medium pocket pair, JJ, or maybe AK ... check thru on the river.... maybe check it on the turn unless ur determined to see the showdown and are going to call a bet on the river anyways.

spamuell
04-18-2005, 10:19 PM
I like it given that a typical opponent is going to be much more aggressive with a pair but is not folding an ace at this point.

aslowjoe
04-18-2005, 10:36 PM
I would ALMOST never bet my AK for value.

stinkypete
04-18-2005, 11:34 PM
i'd only bet this against a fool that would fold a small pair here. you'd need a really good read for that though.

checking is definitely my default play.

krishanleong
04-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Perfect!!

This is one of the few times I think a river bet with ace high is okay. He might call down with AQ, and you might fold out another AK if you fire the last bullet. (Doubtful I know) I think a small pair plays back at some point during the hand since the board isn't scary at all. I think he was calling overs all the way but will call a river bet enough to make it profitable.

Krishan

mperich
04-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Given the texture of the board and the way villain played it, I thought this would be one of the rare times to bet the river with ak. Basically my thinking was that if I were him against an unknown who 3bet my CO raise from the button, I would call down with AJ for sure, maybe even smaller aces. I think unless he is very passive he leads into me on the flop, or checkraises the flop with an overpair to the board. The only hand I was scared of was an AT-QTish hand.

Anyways he rolled AKo as well after calling, which is a hand I would definately want to bet this river against.

-Mike

DrGutshot
04-19-2005, 02:42 AM
vnh

-DrG

ALL1N
04-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Yes, standard

Schneids
04-19-2005, 04:59 AM
In 10/20 I regularly made a lot of money making this exact value bet and being called by AQ and AJ. Most of the 10/20 players do something differently on the flop or turn when they have a pair.

orionfett
04-19-2005, 05:14 AM
personally i check river i dont think many hands will call u that you beat and no real value for bet

Guy McSucker
04-19-2005, 06:23 AM
As far as I can tell, you are ahead going into the river. A pocket pair or a ten would have let you know by now. The only possibilities for your being behind after the turn are if he has a pair like 99, planned to check-raise the turn, and got scared of the ten. Unless he's backdoored a flush or had A3 I reckon you're still leading or tied, and I think all his A-high hands will call.

So I love your river bet, although I wouldn't be able to make it myself.

Guy.

IlliniRyRy
04-19-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same here. unless I have a great read that CO loves to raise any ace and take ace high to the river, then I guess this could be a value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's SOOOO sweet when you bet there, get called and your hand is good. No one mentions this kind of stuff but a value bet on the river there might depend on how quick he was calling the flop and turn. I noticed an online tell of sorts...if they're really quick about it then I would NOT bet the river because he's likely to have you beat. If he's sort of hesitating but still kinda quick, then bet the river, he has AQ or worse. Call me crazy but I think there a lot of tells based on speed of someone's decisions if they tend to play pretty ABC.

Wynton
04-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Not having played higher than 3/6 max, I'm still going to venture to say that this answer might be different at different levels.

At 3/6 stars, I see PLENTY of people call down to the river with a medium pair, never having raised at any point. On the other hand, it seems VERY rare to me to find a player who will call a river bet with AQ, in this betting pattern.

But perhaps it's a whole other world at higher stakes.