PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid MN4 is back.---- Global devastation Mooohahahahhaha!!!!

wacki
04-18-2005, 07:25 PM
from /.

scientists are now fairly certain that is will miss earth on April 13th, 2029, the modification to its orbit caused by Earth's gravity may still cause an impact one or a couple of orbits further down the road, the Times reports; the impact probabilities in 2035, 2036 of 2037 will not be known until the exact modification to its orbit is known; in 2029, that is. By then it may be too late for effective counter-measures. An impact would cause an energy release equivalent to about 1 Gigaton of TNT (~4e+18 Joule), and while that won't cause a massive extinction event, it causes widespread devastation.
Old thread about MN4 (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1435581&Fo rum=c7&Words=MN4&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=143557 0&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=7066&daterange=1& newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodypr ev=#Post1435581)

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2004mn4.html

Looks like it will miss us this orbit.... But next time around?

I like this asteroid. It just doesn't won't to go away. I think I will call it asteroid Zeno.

wacki
04-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Here is a nice article (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1573790,00.html)

Titled
Earth’s gravity may lure deadly asteroid

By Nigel Hawkes
A HUGE asteroid which is on a course to miss the Earth by a whisker in 2029 could go round its orbit again and score a direct hit a few years later.

Astronomers have calculated that the 1,000ft-wide asteroid called 2004 MN4 will pass by the Earth at a distance of between 15,000 and 25,000 miles — about a tenth of the distance between the Earth and the Moon and close enough to be seen with the naked eye.

Although they are sure that it will miss us, they are worried about the disturbance that such a close pass will give to the asteroid’s orbit. It might put 2004 MN4 on course for a collision in 2034 or a year or two later: the unpredictability of its behaviour means that the danger might not become apparent until it is too late.

pshreck
04-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Having a nice conversationg with yourself over here in nerdsville? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zeno
04-18-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like this asteroid. It just doesn't won't to go away. I think I will call it asteroid Zeno.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the gesture. It warms my heart. The only dismal thing about all this is the near misses and the thought that total destruction is only a minor possibility. I find this rather unwholesome and disturbing. An Asteroid called Zeno should hopscotch about the planet and land on Paris, The Vatican, Mecca, and a few other choice destinations before finally plowing into the Emerald Isle and crushing that beastly pile of human infested island down into the planet’s core while simultaneously splitting the earth into myriad molten fragments. Thus, ending the human farce and sending particles of waste from their former fatherland cart wheeling through space to wreck a bit more havoc into the universe before flickering out in a pathetic whimper.

Le Misanthrope

Dr. Strangelove
04-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Why don't you kill yourself? Seriously.