PDA

View Full Version : Hand question JTs

chipolino
04-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Since I have trouble with hands like this I'd like to see how you guys would play this.

Party 0.5/1

Hero J /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif (position UTG+3)

Pre-Flop: UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, MP+1 raises and everyone else folds, Hero calls.(Pot=4.5 small bets)

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif ( hands I could be trailing AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AJ, KJ, QJ)

This how I would play it: check and call if villain bets. I figure my 5 outs are good if they hit so I'm getting 8:1 pot odds. His bet makes the pot 6:1, so I'm relying on implied odds here. Would any of you guys come out betting? If a blank hits on the turn I'll check and fold.

Give some reasons for the way you guys would play it.

ArturiusX
04-18-2005, 07:26 PM
I'd check-raise in this situation, overcards will fold the turn if we bet into him.

Shillx
04-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Check/raise the flop. This situation is much different then you holding AT on an A63r board. You are the favorite against 99+, AT+, KJ+ here but possible hands like AK all have 6 outs against you. With AT on an Axx flop, a hand like QQ will only have 2 outs so you can afford to "slowplay" it.

Brad

jaxUp
04-18-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check/raise the flop. This situation is much different then you holding AT on an A63r board. You are the favorite against 99+, AT+, KJ+ here but possible hands like AK all have 6 outs against you. With AT on an Axx flop, a hand like QQ will only have 2 outs so you can afford to "slowplay" it.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

word.

aK13
04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
I check/raise, and then lead the turn/river.

teajay
04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Some kind of read on MP1 or style would help but I'd bet this flop. He could be holding AK,AQ,10s and any other hands that you're ahead of.

If raised, I'd consider calling and folding turn UI.

Why do you say you'll fold if a blank comes on a turn? If he only has overcards then a blank is exactly what you want to be seeing.

Travis

teajay
04-18-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm just "grunching" away here and see that everyone has recmmended a C/R. After looking at it, I like that alternative but would anyone care to comment on my line?

Travis

aK13
04-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Just because he raised, you shouldn't automatically pin him on a high pocket pair. In most scenarios, you will be ahead here, as it is likely he is holding overs. If you bet and he raises, he could still be holding overs (as I make this play frequently on raggy flops with overs, hoping to buy a free river card since I'm behind).

EDIT: I think you have monsters-under-the-bed syndrome, and it is possibly a leak in your game that you should work on.

toss
04-18-2005, 08:16 PM
You want to check/raise the flop since your hand is quite vulnerable to overcards.

Check/calling and folding seems kinda weak no?

teajay
04-18-2005, 08:19 PM
My line was Bet, call a raise and fold turn UI. Not check/call fold. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheKentock
04-18-2005, 08:24 PM
As I see it, if you're going to call this preflop, this is the ideal flop for you, since you hit top pair with a nice kicker. I would definitely checkraise here.

Just curious, if you're so scared of this guy, what kind of flop were you hoping for? two pair? a made straight or flush? because you didn't have the odds to call only awaiting these boards. I figure that this is about as good as it gets for this hand heads-up, so play it aggressively or not at all.

chipolino
04-18-2005, 08:45 PM
I meant I'll check and probably fold to a bet. But I like the check/raise that most people have been suggesting here.

chipolino
04-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I think I have that syndrome too. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Sorry guys, I'm just learning as I go.