PDA

View Full Version : Black Hole?

SpearsBritney
04-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Is it possible that what we consider to be the "universe" is just an inverted black hole, and that each black hole within our "universe" leads to other "universes". This would help explain the Big Bang Theory, and where all the matter disappears to in a black hole.

I don't really follow this kind of stuff, so I'm sure it has already been thought of and discussed many times.

Sorry for this geek post, but does anyone have any knowledge of this stuff?

Jazza
04-18-2005, 06:55 PM
yeah i've heard of this before a few years ago

not sure if scientists nowadays still think it is possible

but allthough it would help explain the big bang theory, it would create a whole lot more questions (where did the first 'universe' come from?)

INEVITABILI TY
04-18-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah i've heard of this before a few years ago

not sure if scientists nowadays still think it is possible

but allthough it would help explain the big bang theory, it would create a whole lot more questions (where did the first 'universe' come from?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my point. I've never believed that matter could just appear out of nowhere. And it has to go somewhere. If the universe is indeed infinate, then this could be the only logical explaination IMO.

Why did the universe have to "come" from somewhere initially anyway. It couldn't have possibly "come" from anything if you think about it. It has to be infinate by defination. We just have a hard time getting our tiny little human brains around something that is without beginning or end.

pshreck
04-18-2005, 07:12 PM
You just ruined a potentially good gimmick account by breaking character. Switch back to your other name!

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 07:17 PM
I find it interesting that you ask a somewhat interesting science question yet, somehow, you are foolish (or rude) enough to constantly give Mat Sklansky problems with your avatars.

INEVITABILI TY
04-18-2005, 07:18 PM
...EHM.....I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT...I'M MR. BURNS...AHH...AGENT SMITH

SpearsBritney
04-18-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it interesting that you ask a somewhat interesting science question yet, somehow, you are foolish (or rude) enough to constantly give Mat Sklansky problems with your avatars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this one's O.K.(no nipple). I also thought the first one would be acceptable, but I guess it had a little too much nipple. It was not my intention to give M.Sklansky problems, so I guess foolish is the correct answer.

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 07:33 PM
That avatar isn't going to survive. Others have used it before.

private joker
04-18-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that what we consider to be the "universe" is just an inverted black hole, and that each black hole within our "universe" leads to other "universes".

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa.

http://www.withnail-and-i.com/pictures/danny07.jpg

Jazza
04-18-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my point. I've never believed that matter could just appear out of nowhere. And it has to go somewhere. If the universe is indeed infinate, then this could be the only logical explaination IMO.

Why did the universe have to "come" from somewhere initially anyway. It couldn't have possibly "come" from anything if you think about it. It has to be infinate by defination. We just have a hard time getting our tiny little human brains around something that is without beginning or end.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you just can't wrap your little human brain around the fact that matter just came from nowhere /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpearsBritney
04-18-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you just can't wrap your little human brain around the fact that matter just came from nowhere /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possible I suppose, but after thinking about both scenerios, I think the the argument for an infinate universe is alot more plausable than something from nothing.

My head hurts. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

mostsmooth
04-18-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that what we consider to be the "universe" is just an inverted black hole, and that each black hole within our "universe" leads to other "universes". This would help explain the Big Bang Theory, and where all the matter disappears to in a black hole.

[/ QUOTE ]
how would this explain the big bang theory???

SpearsBritney
04-18-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I said was help explain the Big Bang Theory. I'm no scientist, that's for sure, and would never try to explain the Big Bang Theory. What I meant was, some people believe that the universe "bagan" approximately 10-20 billion years ago with an explosion of energy and matter, and expanded outward from a single point in space, but have a hard time explaining just where this energy came from since most of these people believe that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only transfered. So, this combined with what I imagine the other end of a "black hole" to look like leads me to believe this would help explain the Big Bang Theory.

bholdr
04-18-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the the argument for an infinate universe is alot more plausable than something from nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

modern physics can explain something-from-nothing just fine, TYVM.

the 'black holes are gateways to another universe' idea is silly speculation, IMO. Black Holes are matter without volume, infinite density, information destroying machines, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
It couldn't have possibly "come" from anything if you think about it. It has to be infinate by defination.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're going to have to make a big conceptual leap to get the points that are confusing you, it's almost a zen thing; the 'nothing' you refer to isn't really 'nothing' in the sense that you use the word, it is 'non-thing'- not an absense of things such as empty space and infinite time, but an absense of existance, time, space etc; not empty space, but not-space; not infinite time, but eternity(the non-existance of time).

[ QUOTE ]
I've never believed that matter could just appear out of nowhere. And it has to go somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

matter appears out of the 'non-place' all the time and disappears back into the 'non-place' just as often- not existing or not not-existing, but some(non)thing else. in fact, matter, as the layman thinks of it, doesn't really exist at all.

well, i'm trippin out here. gonna go have a beer.

Alobar
04-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I didnt wanna take the time to make a response in this thead. But im glad you did, because you pretty much typed exactly what I would have.

bholdr
04-18-2005, 09:42 PM
you tripping out, too?

SpearsBritney
04-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Nothing, non-thing, whatever. I am just saying that I believe that energy cannont be created. Please explain to me (without wasting too much of your time) how something is created from nothing(or non-thing).

bholdr
04-18-2005, 10:33 PM
first, many prominent physicists believe that the sum total of all energy, matter, anti matter, gravity, etc in the universe is exactly zero. but that's neither here nor there.

[ QUOTE ]
I am just saying that I believe that energy cannont be created.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't matter what you believe- it happens all the time: the quantum mechanical tutorial on this page is required reading for this kind of conversation (http://www-theory.chem.washington.edu/~trstedl/quantum/quantum.html). The fact is, for the universe to make sense and not explode/collapse/disappear, these things MUST happen. GL, it can be a little dense for someone that hasn't tried to wrap their brain around this stuff before.

mostsmooth
04-18-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I said was help explain the Big Bang Theory. I'm no scientist, that's for sure, and would never try to explain the Big Bang Theory. What I meant was, some people believe that the universe "bagan" approximately 10-20 billion years ago with an explosion of energy and matter, and expanded outward from a single point in space, but have a hard time explaining just where this energy came from since most of these people believe that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only transfered. So, this combined with what I imagine the other end of a "black hole" to look like leads me to believe this would help explain the Big Bang Theory.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah i know you said help. ok ill rephrase, how would it help explain the big bang theory?
what you said doesnt help explain anything, does it?

SpearsBritney
04-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the link. Obviously I havn't read it all yet, but I intend to. I certainly feel a little outclassed right now. But, I totaly understand what you're saying. Ofcourse matter appears and disappears all the time. What I'm refering to is the energy left over from that matter and where it goes. Although it's possible that this link may change my thinking on that as well.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bholdr
04-18-2005, 10:48 PM
you may want to give stephen hawking's "a breif history of time" a shot- i think it will clear up a lot of questions for you, and is very accessable to someone that hasn't taken any college level physics courses. (i have not, and i assume you haven't either).