PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Football moves to ESPN in 2006 (SNF to NBC)

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Another American institution changes. I'm not a big enough a football fan to be sad. But, I'm sure it'll upset a few even though the games will still be available on TV.

Here's an article

Monday Night Football to ESPN in 2006 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2040130)

Monday Night Football is coming to ESPN in 2006.

Sunday Night Football is moving to NBC that same year.

And ABC, after 36 seasons, will no longer carry NFL games.

ESPN, NBC and the NFL announced the changes Monday afternoon. ESPN and the league reached an eight-year deal for moving MNF, while NBC and the NFL reached a six-year deal.

Starting with the 2006 season, ABC will not televise NFL games as part of these new agreements.

Monday Night Football first aired on Sept. 21, 1970, with the New York Jets visiting Cleveland. It has been a network institution ever since. The highest-rated game was a 29.6, with a 46 share, for a 1985 game between then-unbeaten Chicago and Miami. The Dolphins won, ending Chicago's hopes of a perfect season.

It is the second-longest running prime time network series, trailing 60 Minutes on CBS by two years.

Al Michaels has been the play-by-play voice of Monday Night Football since 1986. Frank Gifford held the job from 1971 through 1985. Keith Jackson called the first season's games.

Among the analysts were Don Meredith, Alex Karras, Fred (The Hammer) Williamson, Frank Tarkenton, O.J. Simpson, Dan Dierdorf, Boomer Esiason, Dan Fouts, Dennis Miller and Howard Cosell.

Current analyst John Madden joined Michaels for the 2002 season.

IndieMatty
04-18-2005, 05:20 PM
This deserves a huge "Wow".

nolanfan34
04-18-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I said. MNF was unique in network television to begin with, but it's still strange to think of it not being on ABC. What a huge move for ESPN, well done.

kerssens
04-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Surprising to me, but it doesn't matter which network the NFL is on, I'll watch.

IndieMatty
04-18-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I said. MNF was unique in network television to begin with, but it's still strange to think of it not being on ABC. What a huge move for ESPN, well done.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's totally bizzarre is they are both the same company. ESPN and ABC are both Disney in the end. So basically this is a conscious move to shift from one network to the other. Seems like a rather poor one, the NFL is hitting it's peak in terms of popularity and viewership and Disney decides it doesn't want the monopoly on PrimeTime football. Very weird.

pshreck
04-18-2005, 05:26 PM
This has got to be the biggest risk ESPN has ever taken. First of all, Im surprised they can even afford this, and secondly, if it bombs (and MNF has not been doing too well) they could be in big trouble.

Plus I would say in general ESPN sucks when it comes to showing and have good commentary on games. Their Sunday night broadcasts always suck.

Oh well, good luck to them.

istewart
04-18-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nd MNF has not been doing too well)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully game selection will improve.

kerssens
04-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Aren't they able to switch games to Monday in the last couple weeks of the season to ensure a good game? Does that start this year?

pshreck
04-18-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nd MNF has not been doing too well)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well its hard because of the inconsistency each year from team to team.

Like everyone is getting all hyped up about the eagles-falcons matchup for this year. There is a solid chance one of those teams isnt even making the playoffs.

istewart
04-18-2005, 05:29 PM
As long as they don't have Dolphins/Browns or whatever trash they had last season.

pshreck
04-18-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't that able to switch games to Monday in the last couple weeks of the season to ensure a good game? Does that start this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard about that somewhere, but I dont think its this year. They have a monday night schedule out now that is set as far as I know. Being able to switch games later in the year would be some big political thing that the NFL would have to agree on.

[censored]
04-18-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the what came out of my mouth about 4 times.

[censored]
04-18-2005, 05:36 PM
You have to assume Michaels and Madden will be coming over to EPSN right?

nolanfan34
04-18-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the NFL is hitting it's peak in terms of popularity and viewership and Disney decides it doesn't want the monopoly on PrimeTime football. Very weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Ratings have been declining for years, with cable largely to blame for that. Football may be as popular as ever, but ABC clearly felt that filling Monday night's with traditional programming will likely garner them better ratings than the direction football was heading.

The fact that ESPN is owned by the same company makes even more sense for them. Broadcasting is a numbers game, pure and simple. Nothing else matters, tradition or otherwise. All they had to do was compare ESPN's Monday night ratings from last year with projected ratings/ad dollars with this move, combined with the projected ratings/ad dollars of ABC with other programming.

The projection likely was higher than what they were getting last year, so there you go.

The timing also makes sense due to the fact that Everybody Loves Raymond is going off the air, so Monday night is there for the taking. ABC has been on a roll lately and a huge upswing when it comes to scripted programming, so I'm sure they saw an opportunity to try to take the lead on another night of the week, and football wasn't going to do that.

nolanfan34
04-18-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the big question. But with no Sunday night game for Patrick/Theismann/Maguire, you have to wonder....

IndieMatty
04-18-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the NFL is hitting it's peak in terms of popularity and viewership and Disney decides it doesn't want the monopoly on PrimeTime football. Very weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Ratings have been declining for years, with cable largely to blame for that. Football may be as popular as ever, but ABC clearly felt that filling Monday night's with traditional programming will likely garner them better ratings than the direction football was heading.

The fact that ESPN is owned by the same company makes even more sense for them. Broadcasting is a numbers game, pure and simple. Nothing else matters, tradition or otherwise. All they had to do was compare ESPN's Monday night ratings from last year with projected ratings/ad dollars with this move, combined with the projected ratings/ad dollars of ABC with other programming.

The projection likely was higher than what they were getting last year, so there you go.

The timing also makes sense due to the fact that Everybody Loves Raymond is going off the air, so Monday night is there for the taking. ABC has been on a roll lately and a huge upswing when it comes to scripted programming, so I'm sure they saw an opportunity to try to take the lead on another night of the week, and football wasn't going to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rightio..ratings for MNF are down. Up for the NFL as a whole. Your explanation makes perfect sense...I take back the weird comment. NH

Gallopin Gael
04-18-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the big question. But with no Sunday night game for Patrick/Theismann/Maguire, you have to wonder....

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if we get a letter writing campaign going the Mouse House will let us shoot the Sunday night team out of a cannon and into an active volcano.

Think of the ratings that would draw. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edge34
04-18-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As long as they don't have Dolphins/Browns or whatever trash they had last season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dolphins-Pats was a helluva game (although I can't remember whether that was SNF or MNF)....

Jules22
04-18-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope they fire those hacks, to be quite honest.

ucfryan
04-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Patrick/Theismann/Maguire are TERRIBLE. They compare everyone to Michael Vick.

FoxwoodsFiend
04-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Good...maybe the ESPN folks will have their heads on straight and realize they should have flexible scheduling so that we don't have to watch crap games that seemed good preseason.

MicroBob
04-18-2005, 06:34 PM
I didn't read the linked article so some of this may already be covered there.

Blame the NFL for the lack of flexible scheduling at the end of the season...not ABC.

Perhaps this was a sticking point in renewal.

ABC is fully aware that part of the reason their ratings were hurting on MNF was due to the lack of quality match-ups.

But if this wasn't the main sticking point I would say that Nolan's ideas are accurate here.
Spending a ton of money...and not getting the ratings...just doesn't add up.

Also - I believe NBC was semi-desperate to get back into the NFL game after losing the AFC games a decade or so ago.

For NBC to get the Sunday night football package I am guessing they paid a TON as seems to typically be the case for networks trying to get back IN to the a various sport they want.

Fox overpaid when they got the NHL.
CBS overpaid when they got MLB in the early 90's.
Almost everyone has been over-paying for the Olympics the past few go-rounds it seems.

NBC is going to promote the hell out of their Sunday night football package and is going to do everything possible to get their money's worth.

I am guessing that NBC will get as many, and possibly more, premier match-ups as ESPN-MNF does.
Will be interesting to see when the schedule comes out.

Met Knup
04-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Who cares what network carries MNF?

Would you be shocked if CBS lost March Madness?

I wouldn't. Contracts come, contracts go.

wayabvpar
04-18-2005, 06:57 PM
The good news is that either Joe Theismann or John Madden is out of a job. Hopefully both of them- a Michaels/Patrick/Maguire booth wouldn't be too bad (even though it is 2-1 play-by-play to analyst).

wonderwes
04-18-2005, 08:22 PM
The last time the NFL was on NBC was when John Elway did his 4th quarter run to win his first Superbowl with the Denver Broncos in San Diego in 1998.

Since NBC has pretty much no sports programing at all, it should be interesting how Sunday night games are. You always shorten your view base when you go on a cable only channel no matter what.

ThaSaltCracka
04-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Booooooooo NFL, go MLB!!!!!!!!!!!!

nolanfan34
04-18-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you replied to my post, to make this post. Clearly this was meant for Kerssens, who proclaimed his love for the NFL.

kerssens
04-18-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go NFL!!! also go MLB!!...NBA??? meh, if nothing else is on.

ThaSaltCracka
04-18-2005, 08:40 PM
BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SONICS, GO M'S!!!!!!!

MicroBob
04-18-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you be shocked if CBS lost March Madness?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the March Madness contract on CBS runs through 2012 or something. I do hope someone is able to out-bid them for it at that time though.

I pray for the day that someone other than Billy Packer is doing the national championship game.

kerssens
04-18-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SONICS, GO M'S!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sonics are limping into the playoffs.

Benal
04-18-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I DO! We don't get ESPN up here...

ArchAngel71857
04-18-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IF the Sunday Night crew gets to do MNF. I will hunt each one of them down and shoot them in the face. they are the worst broadcast team in sports.

-AA

Uglyowl
04-18-2005, 08:52 PM
NBC's ratings were in the dumper. Most weeks they do not even have a top ten show for the week.

There is only so much Law & Order you can put on.

Though NBC probably overpaid, they were left with no choice.

blindu
04-18-2005, 09:50 PM
NBC used to be amazing. between the sunday baseball games and the NBA on NBC (cue theme song), Costas and co. had it rolling.
then they decided that
Olympics > Everything else.

NBC Sports blow now.
sorry, i dont like watching arena football.

I dont think that ESPN MNF games will take a huge dive from ABC simply because by 2006, there's gonna be alot more families with cable than now. ESPN is also the fastest growing channel, in terms of ratings, than any other cable channel.

SCfuji
04-18-2005, 10:01 PM
does this mean no more john and al? because if john and al are gone im never watching MNF again.

Redmen62
04-18-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I DO! We don't get ESPN up here...

[/ QUOTE ]

0% chance TSN won't pick up espn's feed- exactly as they have done for espn's Sunday night games. We'll still get it. Now if Shaw Cable would get off their [censored] ass and get the NFL network already...

jstnrgrs
04-19-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It should beacuse there is a new provision (I think it starts in 2006, but I'm not sure), that allows for some games late in the season to be rescheduled to get the better games on MNF.

jstnrgrs
04-19-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since NBC has pretty much no sports programing at all,

[/ QUOTE ]

NBC has some college football, arena football (though that is pretty much unwatchable), and the olympics. I think other than that, they just have some crap like fighre skating, etc.