PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox spectator loses season tickets for 2005

Uglyowl
04-18-2005, 05:04 PM
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/108/sports/Red_Sox_spectator_loses_season:.shtml

Red Sox spectator loses season tickets for 2005
By Howard Ulman, Associated Press, 4/18/2005 16:24

BOSTON (AP) The spectator who interfered with New York Yankees right fielder Gary Sheffield had his season tickets for 2005 revoked Monday by the Boston Red Sox.

A fan who spilled beer on Sheffield was prohibited from buying tickets for the rest of the season.

''We applaud the Red Sox for decisively dealing with this matter,'' Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement through spokesman Howard Rubenstein.

Boston acted after a four-day investigation following the play last Thursday night at Fenway Park in which Sheffield was chasing a ball along the low right-field wall that Jason Varitek hit for a triple.

The season ticket holder, Chris House, reached over the 3-foot high fence, and Sheffield said he was struck in the face. Sheffield picked up the ball, pushed House, then threw the ball to the infield. Sheffield turned toward House but did not make contact with him again as a security guard jumped over the wall and stood between House and Sheffield.

Major league baseball also is investigating. The name of the other spectator has not been released.

Boston said House would receive full reimbursement when he returns his 2005 tickets. The club said it will consider reinstating his tickets after this season.

The Red Sox cited the season ticket agreement, which states that ''interfering with the play of the game in any way will not be tolerated and will be grounds for ejection from the premises, legal prosecution, recission of tickets and cancellation of subscription privileges.''

Sheffield's agent, Rufus Williams, and the player planned to meet Tuesday with Bob Watson, vice president in charge of discipline in the commissioner's office. Williams called Boston's actions ''a good thing.''

''I think that there should certainly be an opportunity for players do their jobs without being interfered with,'' Williams said. ''That sends a message to fans that that's what the expectation is.''

Uglyowl
04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
If he wasn't reimbursed that would be better. Very weak!

Dynasty
04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/clap.gif

Voltron87
04-18-2005, 05:07 PM
They shouldn't have reimbursed him. Bunch of pussies. They should have auctioned them for charity or something along those lines.

bogey
04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
bs, he didnt do anything

pshreck
04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he wasn't reimbursed that would be better. Very weak!

[/ QUOTE ]

He may or may not be, but its very likely that most baseball teams make it clear that they can revoke season tickets without refund.

Uglyowl
04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bs, he didnt do anything

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are a Yanks fan you should be angry a fan touched you player.

If you are a Sox fan you should be angry he risked costing the teams runs and bases.

nolanfan34
04-18-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They shouldn't have reimbursed him. Bunch of pussies. They should have auctioned them for charity or something along those lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to look at this somewhat objectively, without your I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Yankees glasses on. Have you heard of a team doing this before when someone interferes? I think it's the perfect punishment, what would have been weak is if they did nothing at all.

That guy had great season tickets at Fenway, right next to the field. Getting his money back will be little consolation compared to the loss of those seats.

I think it's great, as this certainly sends a message that interference isn't going to be tolerated.

Voltron87
04-18-2005, 05:12 PM
If they're not going to give him his money back they sure as hell better not let him get them again next year.

bogey
04-18-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bs, he didnt do anything

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are a Sox fan you should be angry he risked costing the teams runs and bases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm neither. I realized he interfered, but this has happened a million times in the past with no repercussion and now he loses his season tickets cause Sheffield has a roid rage.

VBM
04-18-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bs, he didnt do anything

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm neither. I realized he interfered, but this has happened a million times in the past with no repercussion and now he loses his season tickets cause Sheffield has a roid rage.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that its happened a million times over doesn't excuse him. people speed every day, but only a fraction of them are issued tickets.

plus, he's getting reimbursed. he has very little ground to stand on if he argues. not to mention the organization said they'd consider letting him have season tickets in the future...

sublime
04-18-2005, 05:23 PM
the punishment is fine, making him pay for the tickets would have been overboard.

Joe Tall
04-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Told ya.

Voltron87
04-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Ok, I've thought about this a little more and what I think should happen is:

If he wants to keep his spot in ticket line, he should have to pay for the rest of this year and give up the rest of the tickets. Then next year he can renew as if nothing happened.

If he doesn't want to keep his tickets permanently he can get refunded but will lose his spot in "line".

To a certain degree Fenway and MLB should make an example out of him, drunk fans doing stuff like what he did (Although what he did was not too bad relative to what could have happened) is unacceptable.

bernie
04-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Boy, this will open up a few can of worms.

Be wary when a player tries to go into the stands after a foul ball right in front of you.

Why not just make the wall around the field of play a little higher? (situation specific)

How about fining all those who 'try' to interfere with the ball. Like all those people hanging their hands over the edge as the ball goes by?

Baseball once again endears itself to the fans.

Some act like the game was just popularized a few years ago.

[ QUOTE ]
A fan who spilled beer on Sheffield was prohibited from buying tickets for the rest of the season

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy deserves it. That was obviously intentional.

[ QUOTE ]
The season ticket holder, Chris House, reached over the 3-foot high fence, and Sheffield said he was struck in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure he was. Without even a flinch, he was struck in the face.

[ QUOTE ]
Sheffield picked up the ball, pushed House, then threw the ball to the infield. Sheffield turned toward House but did not make contact with him again

[/ QUOTE ]

Well hey, he only touched him once. What the hell.

Hindsight, House should've really been more obvious and just decked him by the wall.

Whatta joke.

Can't wait until they do this to a kid.

b

contentless
04-18-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm a Sox fan, and I think you're a total douche.

Are you denying that House interfered with the play? God. Some people just randomly take things to extremes, as if that'll make them cool. No, your 'fine those that try to interfere' suggestion is asinine.

Uglyowl
04-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Everyone who sticks their hand in play with a play going on is an idiot, not just House. Unfortunately for him he was made an example of. I am glad they did though, he is still an idiot.

pshreck
04-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Your argument is so poorly made and filled with sarcasm that it is hard to understand what point you are making.

Dead
04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Sox fan, and I think you're a total douche.

Are you denying that House interfered with the play? God. Some people just randomly take things to extremes, as if that'll make them cool. No, your 'fine those that try to interfere' suggestion is asinine.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what bernie is doing. You should see some of his posts in the politics forum, where he basically calls Catholic leaders a bunch of Nazis.

sublime
04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
To a certain degree Fenway and MLB should make an example out of him, drunk fans doing stuff like what he did (Although what he did was not too bad relative to what could have happened) is unacceptable.

but it happens ALL THE TIME!!!!!

it happens on almost every single pop out that reaches the stands, it happens on almost every single grounder down the line. losing your season tickets is a stiff enough punishment. its just not as big a deal as it is being made out to be.

this is why this one is standing out:

a) ny/bos

b) sheffileds reaction to it. of course i dont blame the guy for reacting, hes a man and im sure he hears some nasty stuff down in that corner. however, that doesnt change the fact that he reacted like he did.

sublime
04-18-2005, 07:55 PM
dead-

i want to point out again that you make zero sense like 100% of the time. you have been whining about this incident since it happened, yet when people make a post about the maier incident, you say how you love the kid.

your nothing but a 'home team' blowhard.

contentless
04-18-2005, 07:58 PM
What pisses me off the most is when you see Maier in interviews nowadays, he acts like a total punkass.

After a little thought, it wouldn't surprise me if Dead were Maier.

Voltron87
04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

but it happens ALL THE TIME!!!!!

it happens on almost every single pop out that reaches the stands, it happens on almost every single grounder down the line. losing your season tickets is a stiff enough punishment. its just not as big a deal as it is being made out to be.

a) ny/bos

b) sheffileds reaction to it. of course i dont blame the guy for reacting, hes a man and im sure he hears some nasty stuff down in that corner. however, that doesnt change the fact that he reacted like he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this crap happens all the time, and I definitely agree it was blown way out of proportion. There's also a difference between reaching for a ball and reaching for a fielder... but the guy never punched sheffield, it was inbetween (I don't want to argue about it either). I just think if you start ejecting more people and punishing people who interfere, it would stop. No more Meiers would be good.

bernie
04-19-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, your 'fine those that try to interfere' suggestion is asinine

[/ QUOTE ]

Most are not conciously trying to interfere with a player. There's a difference. From what I saw, this guy wasn't trying to interfere with scheff.

If they are going to punish people for interference, they should punish them all. Like the kid who tried to catch a ball with his mitt, out of reach of the outfielder, tonight, instead knocking it back down into play.

Kick him out, the little [censored].

That's great.

b

bernie
04-19-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should see some of his posts in the politics forum, where he basically calls Catholic leaders a bunch of Nazis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to glorify/rationalize the deaths of 1+ million (kind estimate) non-catholics as commissioned by the catholic church.

Btw...Why not respond with something relevant to the topic?

b

bernie
04-19-2005, 03:22 AM
The point is, how are they going to define 'interference'? How far could they take this? I think intent should be factored in. I didn't see intent in this instance. Other than the jerk throwing the beer.

Should the kid who interfered during the Cubs playoff game have been banished also? Im sure he was just waiting for the right time to screw the cubs out of getting to the world series.

b

Sponger15SB
04-19-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

a) ny/bos

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If it was Colorado vs Tampa Bay and Brad Hawpe was interfered with, nobody would give a [censored].