PDA

View Full Version : do you push in situations like this?

galahad_187
04-18-2005, 04:58 PM
pp 20+2 SNG. blinds about to hit me, severe short stack. do you push and pray?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t3440)
SB (t595)
BB (t2630)
Hero (t585)
MP (t750)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t585 (All-In)</font>, MP calls t585, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t595 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t10.

Flop: (t1975) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1975) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1975) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t197

Apathy
04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Yup, push that...

Benholio
04-18-2005, 05:18 PM
I dunno, unless I have some chance of avoiding a showdown here, I'd just about rather wait for the next one.

Apathy
04-18-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, unless I have some chance of avoiding a showdown here, I'd just about rather wait for the next one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't avoid a showdown by waiting until next hand, and raising all in UTG has many side benefits.

syka16
04-18-2005, 05:23 PM
you're better off taking the blind and calling with most hands or hoping it's folded to you.

syka16
04-18-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't avoid a showdown by waiting until next hand, and raising all in UTG has many side benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

What calling ranges are you putting your opponents on? You're getting called 75% of the time and you're stacks not small enough for the pot odds to make up for your weak hand. You're pushing a hand that's slightly better than the random hand you'll probably be calling with in the BB but that's the only benefit to pushing here.

zipppy
04-18-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate, Apathy? I assume that good outcomes from pushing include:
1)stealing the blinds outright
2)having only the SB or BB call for what is almost always a coin flip situation

Are there other good reasons for pushing, and am I off at all with the above two reasons for pushing (specifically #2)?

thanks, zipppy

Apathy
04-18-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a very real possibility, not really what I meant

[ QUOTE ]
2)having only the SB or BB call for what is almost always a coin flip situation

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good reason, plus when the BB calls you will be ahead afew times too

Its more that against peoples pushing ranges who are notin the blinds 10-8 is rarely dominated. You can hope for someone to get AK and go all in, leaving the blinds in the pot. So you get to gambool getting decent odds for your very short stack.

your rarely going to find great situations when you are very shortstacked, the key if finding the one that stands to be not as bad as all the others.

zipppy
04-18-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a very real possibility, not really what I meant

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the table. On occasion you can find a weak tight table with players that don't want to "give away chips to a short stack". /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Benholio
04-18-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can hope for someone to get AK and go all in, leaving the blinds in the pot. So you get to gambool getting decent odds for your very short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I didn't think about this. From the BB, the most you can win against one opponent is double up the small blind. From UTG you have the chance to double + SB + BB.

syka16
04-18-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can hope for someone to get AK and go all in, leaving the blinds in the pot. So you get to gambool getting decent odds for your very short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I didn't think about this. From the BB, the most you can win against one opponent is double up the small blind. From UTG you have the chance to double + SB + BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

not if you're called from the blinds (which is likely the case)