PDA

View Full Version : Routine defense?

spamuell
04-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Stars 3/6, 6 handed. Tight/decent player opens in the CO and it's folded to me in the BB with A7o. I call. Routine?

The rest of the hand played itself, but say the flop was T83r, is check-raising and betting the turn a reasonable line? Check-calling and leading the turn? I'm pretty reluctant to let go of ace-high here but I'm not exactly sure what to do.

J.R.
04-18-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Routine?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, maybe not if he is really tight preflop

[ QUOTE ]
check-raising and betting the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

spamuell
04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks JR. Would you be check-folding any turn cards? I was considering a K but you have so much folding equity there I think it's a bet. But what about a Q, most hands that would have raised pf are either going to have a pair or a reasonable combination of overcard/straight draw value at this point, I think check-folding a Q is probably quite good, maybe I'm wrong though.

J.R.
04-18-2005, 03:17 PM
sounds like the right way to think about it to me

Fiddler
04-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Interesting. That is not routine for me, I should probably dial up my defense/re-steal a notch.

Two questions:

1. Same situation and CO 3-bets the flop after you check-raise. Do you fold or call and check-fold turn unless an ace hits? Or what?

2. Say it was you that opened from CO with K8s flop, same flop T82r and you get check-raised on the flop by BB. How do you continue? Call down? Call with a flush backdoor and fold turn unimproved? Assume a decent BB.

billyjex
04-18-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. That is not routine for me, I should probably dial up my defense/re-steal a notch.

Two questions:

1. Same situation and CO 3-bets the flop after you check-raise. Do you fold or call and check-fold turn unless an ace hits? Or what?

2. Say it was you that opened from CO with K8s flop, same flop T82r and you get check-raised on the flop by BB. How do you continue? Call down? Call with a flush backdoor and fold turn unimproved? Assume a decent BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Folding to the 3-bet wouldn't be bad (but I probably wouldn't just so he wouldn't take another shot like this in another hand), but I'm not going past the turn without improving.

2) I would 3-bet a C/R. I'm not folding that turn with middle pair in a blind battle.

RunDownHouse
04-18-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else like flat calling a flop c/r like that and popping the turn? In what situations would you do so?

I think I pull that call flop/raise turn move sometimes, but I'm not sure when and if its good or not (at work atm).