PDA

View Full Version : BLIND defense hands: AQo, AJo

pokerstudAA
04-18-2005, 12:53 PM
HAND 1: A9s
Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero???? (Hero considers 3-betting the steal raise with SB calling the PFR)

HAND 2: AJo
Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero??? (Hero considers 3-betting but AJo kinda sucks. Raiser was LAG, Button is fishy)

HAND 3: AQo
Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero???? (Hero might 3-bet with SB involved)

HAND 4: AQo
Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero???? (Hero thinks hard about 3-betting with steal type raise and CO poster calling)

Questions: What hands should I consider 3-bettting from the blinds into a PFR in these standard situations? These big offsuit hands are so-so against a PFR and I really dont like 3-betting from the blinds out of position.

27offsooot
04-18-2005, 12:56 PM
1: call and be prepared to c/r a lot of flops.
2: fold
3: call
4: 3-bet

MoreWineII
04-18-2005, 01:01 PM
1. 3-bet
2. fold, AJo sucks here
3. call
4. 3-bet

MisterKing
04-18-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HAND 1: A9s
Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero???? (Hero considers 3-betting the steal raise with SB calling the PFR)

[/ QUOTE ]

Call. You have enough equity to stay in the hand, but not enough to raise. If SB had folded, you might be able to pop this back at the late position raiser. A PF raise here ties you to a flop bet a lot of the time, and 3-handed you don't necessarily feel good about firing on the flop w/A9s when you whiff entirely.

[ QUOTE ]
HAND 2: AJo
Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero??? (Hero considers 3-betting but AJo kinda sucks. Raiser was LAG, Button is fishy)

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. Immediately. AJo plays very poorly in raised, multi-way pots out of position. If you had the chance to be the initial raiser, it would be ok, but its been called, raised, and cold-called ahead of you. Fear domination and run.

[ QUOTE ]
HAND 3: AQo
Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero???? (Hero might 3-bet with SB involved)

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bets. If the raiser is TAG, this might be just a call, but since you didn't say so I'll assume typical PartyPoker clown (29/5/1). SB will make lots of terrible calls here, again assuming he's semi-typical for SSH Party games. You likely have far in excess of 33% equity, and would like to collect some Sklansky bucks now if you can. AQo is a definite raise if its limped to you in the SB or BB, and I still think its a re-raise in spots like this -- you score HUGE when SB makes an ill-considered fold pre-flop.

[ QUOTE ]
HAND 4: AQo
Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero???? (Hero thinks hard about 3-betting with steal type raise and CO poster calling)

[/ QUOTE ]

We need to know who CO and MP3 are before we answer this. Are they maniacs? TAGs? Either way you can't fold. I think calling is fine, since you may be in a way-behind/way-ahead type of situation. CO's coldcall should be of some concern. If they're clowns, 3-bet it without fear.

chief444
04-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Hand 1 I'll sometimes raise sometimes call.
Hand 2 fold under normal circumstances.
Hand 3 usually call.
Hand 4 usually 3-bet.

Reads help tremendously in these situations and could possibly change my answer for any of the 4, hand 2 being the least likely to change.

FoodForThought
04-18-2005, 01:25 PM
What limit? I have assumed $3/$6.........

Hand 1: I call. I don't think A9s is strong enough to three bet in this situation.

Hand 2: I fold....unless you know EP limper is a weak player who would call in EP with junk. Then it's close between calling and folding....I don't think I'd three bet.

Hand 3: I call. MP1 generally has a hand (unless you have other info). See if you hit a flop or perhaps you can make a move.

Hand 4: I three bet. MP3 could easily being trying to steal two blinds.