PDA

View Full Version : Can I fold this?

GrandmaStabone
04-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has As Ac (two pair, aces and threes).
UTG has 2h 3h (full house, threes full of twos).
Outcome: UTG wins 16.25 BB. </font>

istewart
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
I think I would call down after the turn raise. River is good because you now beat QJ. And UTG obviously plays only the best of cards /images/graemlins/smile.gif

spoohunter
04-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't like the flop check raise, although I would HATE it on a board like Q72. It's not "so bad" here... the real problem is, why do you think anyone is going to bet? When you raise preflop, people think it's just like you agreeing to bet the flop too... often middle pair will raise you (putting you on AK), allowing you to three bet and trap the field for multiple bets in multiple spots.

davelin
04-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Bet the flop next time. Check/call the river.

GrandmaStabone
04-18-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did bet the flop.

davelin
04-18-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the converter you didn't.

DMBFan23
04-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I think you should bet the flop, but I like the rest. there is no folding allowed on the river.

GrandmaStabone
04-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Oh wait, I check-raised didn't I? Actually this was right after a long session of studying SSHE, particularly the section on "protecting your hand", and I was getting fancy. From the turn on is where I get confused. I don;t want to start playing passive, but when the raise comes from nowhere should I assume improvement? The problem at these limits is that he could make the same play with 1010 or KJ. I guess th only thing I can say is it is a matte'r of strong hand reading skills. On the flop he bet, got raised and then JUST CALLED, meaning he was not expecting the raise and was not strong enough to cap. Then on the turn, facing a bet, knowing I cannot be bluffing, he raises. This says one of two things:

1.) He did not cap the flop so he could get two double sized bets in on the turn, in which case he probably has a hand strong enough to beat me.
2.) He improved on the turn, and my aces canot beat an improved hand.

My bigget problem is that, as previously mentioned, he could just as likely have hand I can beat as a hand that warrants his actions at these stakes. This is the biggest reason I have not moved up in levels despite the fact I have WAY more than the bankroll I need for 1/2, I pay off too much (my "folded to river bet" is 31%). I think it may be a matter of respecting my opponents and their actions more. In the previous example, I was correct in thinking he had a donk hand, but his suggested imrovement I should pay more attantion to. Anyone agree with this? Any comments appreciated.

GrandmaStabone
04-18-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should bet the flop, but I like the rest. there is no folding allowed on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes on the river the pot is way to big to fold an overpair heads up. My concern is whether I could have avoided the river situation by folding the turn.

DMBFan23
04-18-2005, 12:47 PM
the problem with not wanting to pay off donkish players is that they don't really apply logic to their plays 100% of the time. he could easily have A2 here or JQ, or QT, or whatever. I don't trust raises from anyone who plays 2h3h UTG without an additional read.

DMBFan23
04-18-2005, 12:49 PM
nah, you have way too many hidden outs against possible two pairs that he may have to fold the turn, and thats IF you assume you are behind. you'll be ahead of some Q9-QTish hand here too often to even think about folding. I like the way you played the turn.

aK13
04-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Bet the flop. I think you just got unlucky on this one -- typically I think this play will payoff nicely.

jrz1972
04-18-2005, 02:23 PM
1. Bet the flop.

2. Do not even think about folding the turn. Folding the turn would be horrible. That would truly be an abysmally bad play. Just awful.

3. When you raise the flop and bet the turn, you are representing an overpair (or maybe AQ). Villain's raise says he's not scared of your overpair. It is time to call down.