PDA

View Full Version : AA Top Set on Turn, can I get away?

BuddahShark
04-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Please ravage my play mercilessly.
Preflop- wanted to raise more but shorthanded against the blinds i wanted some action.
Flop- pot bet ok? overbet better?
Turn- Not sure why I didnt bet the pot, but i dont think it would have mattered. Could you advise folding here as an option or is this a must call situation? I didnt have much of a read, but damn that flush was staring me in the face.

Thanks for any advice, criticism, etc.

Buddah
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($50.15)
SB ($146.54)
BB ($87.6)
Hero ($50.47)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.25, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($4.50) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, SB calls $5, BB calls $5.

Turn: ($19.50) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $20</font>, BB calls $81.10 (All-In), Hero calls $33.97 (All-In), SB calls $61.10.

River: ($225.67) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $225.67

jkkkk
04-18-2005, 11:06 AM
the calling stations have caught their flush (at least one of them anyway)

easy fold on the turn here i think.

etgryphon
04-18-2005, 11:13 AM
To be honest...I think it was fine. I think you may make an argument for going allin on the turn, but I think you might only get called by a better hand. A check is lame because you can get pushed out of a pot. You really don't have enough chips to do much. You are pretty much pot commited with any amount larger than $15. So I think that is what I would do is bet $15 and fold to a push, but I don't know.

Tough situation...

-Gryph

ScottTheFish
04-18-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the calling stations have caught their flush (at least one of them anyway)

easy fold on the turn here i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

With an overpair, sure. With top set, not easy. $34 more with 50 in the pot, and the SB likely coming along too, plus the small (10%) chance I'm ahead, I'm seeing the river. I have outs against a flush.

jkkkk
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
well when the stacks are that deep and someone has shown so much strength, i think i'd rather save the $34 tbh, Hero has a 22% chance of sucking out.

fuzzbox
04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Dont bet the turn in the first place. Its almost certain that at least one of those guy has a flush draw, and it just hit (but they gave you plenty of opportunity to draw to a full-house for free).

I probably call a reasonble value bet on the river, but if I dont improve and it goes Bet - Raise then I fold. Or if it goes "all-in" then I fold.

Take your free card with nice position, I say. If the board pairs then you stand to make a ton.

aces_full
04-18-2005, 12:14 PM
I think checking the turn here is the best play. Keep the pot small and call a reasonable river bet if the board doesn't pair.

I think this is an easy fold. You have ten outs making you a 3.6:1 dog against a made flush, but the pot is only laying you 2.5:1 on your draw. Given the action, there is a good chance the SB will call too, but even then the pot is only laying you 3.5:1 odds on a 3.6:1 darw, so it is slightly -EV.

runnerunner
04-18-2005, 12:21 PM
I would tend to overbet the flop to push out flush draws and get action from AK or KQ. I would make it $10 on the flop. Check/call the turn to a reasonable bet and pray that the board pairs on the river.

lennytheduck
04-18-2005, 12:24 PM
First, if you are going to raise a big hand from the UTG like AA or KK, you need to make it more than 3x BB. I know arguments can be made for the complexion of the game and what the normal raise is, but the fact remains you don't want to let players in on the cheap against your big hands. Especially at this level. Therefore either limp with the intention of raising or make it more expensive (6x BB or so).

The turn is fine.

On the river you have 10 outs to fill up with 6 cards exposed; you are 4.6:1 to suck out if you "know" someone has the flush. The pot is laying you less than 2:1. This is an easy fold mathematically speaking, but I am well aware of how hard it is to fold a set even here, especially a set of aces. But hey, that is why you, me, and everyone else are posting here. Next time you'll play it right.

FlipPoker
04-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Preflop is fine. Flop is fine (the other players are making bad calls if they're on flush straight draws). I think you have to call on the turn. The pot was laying you 2.5:1 and you are 3.7:1 to improve to quads or top full house. Plus, you had good implied odds because SB raised so he'll probably stick around.

BuddahShark
04-18-2005, 01:22 PM
1st off, thanks for all the replies, this situation is a rough one that has stacked me on more than one occasion. These replies change the way i think about boards like these, ill have to tread more carefully next time.

[ QUOTE ]
I would tend to overbet the flop to push out flush draws and get action from AK or KQ. I would make it $10 on the flop. Check/call the turn to a reasonable bet and pray that the board pairs on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say this: RESULTS

Imoteph shows [ Kh, Qh ] a flush, ace high.
FarmerandCow doesn't show [ Jh, 5h ] a flush, ace high.
edubs04 doesn't show [ Ad, As ] three of a kind, aces.

It turns out Imoteph flopped a very strong hand, i had criticized him for calling my pot bet, but he was probably even money with anything but a made set on the flop at that point.

xorbie
04-18-2005, 03:31 PM
As others have said, check behind on the turn. They were nice enough to give you a free draw, take it. Not to mention that by showing weakness, you can hopefull induce a flush to bet less, hoping for a call from a one pair hand (hopefully they didn't both hit because then they are going to get all in and you have to fold).