PDA

View Full Version : River decision with a straight

NLSoldier
04-18-2005, 05:15 AM
Opponents are both pretty horrible. SB is loose passive and BB is pretty donkish.

I decided to smoothcall the turn and the river to try to keep SB in since I thought there was a pretty decent chance I was chopping with BB.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero ???

Schneids
04-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Raise the turn. Heart draws will call two cold, BB can be semibluffing a draw on the scary board (expecting you to fold) and 98 will still call most likely.

Hero calls the river.

geormiet
04-18-2005, 05:37 AM
It looks like SB has trips, so you don't have to worry about a cap behind you.

You're getting 7:1, but the problem is, at best you are chopping, so you're getting 3.5 to 1. I think you don't win this nearly often enough, as everything about the BB's play points to 33, 66, 77, or 44. (on the turn he's thinking, crap, can't slowplay any more with this scary board, time to bet).

I think this is a definite fold.

mperich
04-18-2005, 05:42 AM
By my count if SB doesnt cap, but does overcall which he almost certainly will, here is getting 16.5 - 2, or 8.25 - 1. Given that he is playing for half the pot like you said thats just over 4-1, which i think is a call. Especially given that villains are misreading hero's hand at least 90% of the time, probably closer to 100.

-Mike

kiddo
04-18-2005, 05:42 AM
yep, 3way even the weakest of players suddenly tries to bluff if board is like this. Without flushdraw u could think about calling.

kiddo
04-18-2005, 05:43 AM
And yes, I would call river. It could very well be a slowplayed straight.

NLSoldier
04-18-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks like SB has trips, so you don't have to worry about a cap behind you.

You're getting 7:1, but the problem is, at best you are chopping, so you're getting 3.5 to 1. I think you don't win this nearly often enough, as everything about the BB's play points to 33, 66, 77, or 44. (on the turn he's thinking, crap, can't slowplay any more with this scary board, time to bet).

I think this is a definite fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually more worried about the fact that SB was passive and I didnt think he had the balls to CR 2 people on the river with trips while there was 4 to a straight on board. BB was pretty donkish but I also thought he was observant enough to notice SBs passiveness and be afraid of a boat himself, so when he 3 bet I was further confused. I then started to think maybe SB had the 5 and BB had the bigger straight. But that seemed pretty unlikely for us all to have a 5.

NLSoldier
04-18-2005, 05:59 AM
I called, SB FOLDED, BB rolled 8d9d/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I looked, thought [censored] wtf is that, a bigger straight? And by that time the chips were sliding in my direction /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mperich
04-18-2005, 06:04 AM
And that right there is why you call. (and make notes =P)

-Mike

mistrpug
04-18-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I called, SB FOLDED, BB rolled 8d9d/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I looked, thought [censored] wtf is that, a bigger straight? And by that time the chips were sliding in my direction /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello buddy list.

geormiet
04-18-2005, 02:01 PM
What do you think the chances are he misread the board?