PDA

View Full Version : How many Mice(Mouses) have you broken?

rvS
04-18-2005, 04:19 AM
Is it mice or mouses...well doesnt really matter.
Im somewhat new to the sng scene. I got too sick of playing ring, so ive started playing sng's as a change of pace. Its been about 2 months so far and Ive found that I become filled with an uncontrollable rage (kinda like <font color="green">incredible hulk</font> ) after suffering a lot of bad luck in a short period of time. Not winning a single relavant coinflip while on my way to yet another 4th, will also cause this "rage". Well, I dont know how common this is, but im starting to think "very"....just curious as to how you handle those runs of s**t luck? Without taking it out on your defensless mouse.
Ive now found myself looking for really sh*ty mice to play poker w/, just so i can smash the f**k out of it after that gutshot or 2-outer hits on the river /images/graemlins/grin.gif ....ive displaced my aggression on 2-3 mice so far. How do you recommend I handle this -EV problem?

boondockst
04-18-2005, 04:32 AM
Play 4 tables or more....much easier to ignore a bubbleout if you're ITM in one or just doubled up 7-handed in another...

Mr_J
04-18-2005, 04:46 AM
Yeh multitabling is good. The more you play, the less any individual sng bugs you (just becomes another sng). But multitabling at least 4 and preferably 6+ isn't everyones thing.

You could just get a punching bag. The only thing I get PO'd at is my xbox when I'm playing madden or rugby 2005 (those really tight games you lose right at the end). Baby jesus would cry if he heard the sort of stuff that comes out of my mouth. My controller has taken a hell of a beating over the years, damn MS makes a good product. Don't punch a LCD monitor (no I didn't make that mistake, but TV glass is harder than I thought it'd be, CRT monitors can also take a beating).

Blarg
04-18-2005, 04:55 AM
I agree with boon somewhat, if you're any good at 4-tabling that is.

But basically, the best cure for getting emotionally involved with the ups and downs is to play an unbelievable number of games. Like...a preposterous number. That helps you see that there's good luck as well as bad, and that you're going to get nutty streaks in both direcions.

Two things though. First, you have to be sure you're coming to the table immaculate. By that I mean kind of in the John Wooden sense, you're comfortable knowing that you've prepared so honestly and so well that you've done all you could. That way no guilt or self-doubt will haunt you, so you'll have much less reason to be mad when things don't go your way. Knowing you were as close to faultless as possible goes a very long way toward helping you weather bad luck or any kind of failure. I guess for some people it could make things worse, but for mature people, knowing you've done your best makes things much better.

Second, be sure to remind yourself about your good luck streaks. It's very important to do so, because they are very easy to forget about or just take as our just desserts, whereas bad things can bounce around in our brains forever, driving us nuts, even if they're tiny and we know it's silly to still be thinking about them. So you have to be sure you give your brain enough counter-propaganda to get you through the bad times. Rehearse every once in a while how good it felt to win or get in the money three or four in a row that one time, and that other time, too. Don't just think about the times your AK saw a blank flop and you lost a lot of dough; think of all the times you folded your pocket jacks and the flop came up with an ace, king, or queen. Really think about those times specifically, and haunt your brain with all your good decisions and good luck so that the bad ones don't crowd out your confidence and good spirits.

edge
04-18-2005, 04:59 AM
I broke one mouse when I used to play SNGs (about four months total). I have broken zero mice due to ring games (about eight months).

If you decide to play SNGs, you should factor in the added cost of having to replace mice. Multiply SNG profits by .99 to get ring game profits.

Freudian
04-18-2005, 06:13 AM
None. I am very calm by nature and have always been. By my standards a sigh when getting rivered is an explosion of emotion.

yanicehand
04-18-2005, 06:19 AM
surprisingly, zero. and thats astounding considering I play alot of 5/10 6max limit on empire, which has the biggest fish, and hence, the biggest suckouts. its astonishing how they can cap it with a gutshot and look themselves in the mirror in the morning.

Patriarch
04-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Two mice, one laptop screen (that one was kinda depressing) but I've improved my discipline since then and don't break things any more.

FMMonty
04-18-2005, 06:55 AM
My only mouse breaking incident has to be after playing some cash games and losing a large chunk of my bank roll, I thought I’d take it out on a SNG, went out 4th, to backdoor flush, it put me over the edge, and I smashed the mouse down and it made quite a bang, and of course it didn't seem to work after that. So in my mini rage I grabbed the mouse and chucked it across the room.

Who would of thought a mouse would be heavy enough to go straight through a window

Cost of mouse $20
Cost of Window $250 (it was a nice window)

boondockst
04-18-2005, 07:00 AM
seriously....i put an empty bottle of 409 through a window....(who knew?????????)

ZebraAss
04-18-2005, 07:05 AM
I set my alarm clock to play a CD of oldies...I just hit it when I lose...it really helps. I prefer "Brown Eyed Girl and You sexy thing"

jokerthief
04-18-2005, 09:35 AM
IMO, anger is +EV, whereas anger expressed is SERIOUS -EV. That has been my experience anyway. Anytime I get a bad beat but keep the frustration inside and move on to another tourny, I get more focused and play better. If I express my anger (as in breaking a mouse) I either play poorly or don't play at all. Your results may vary, consult your doctor before listening to anything I have to say.

MonkeeMan
04-18-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it mice or mouses...

[/ QUOTE ]

No less an authority than Mr. Jinks says it's "meeces".

vindikation
04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Never broken a mouse, but I've flipped over my chair the room a number of times. I actually get more pissed off playing Grand Theft Auto on my PS2, I'm really suprised I haven't broken the controller yet. I've thrown it on the floor and at the wall a number of times /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

jah0550
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
LOL- I did that a few weeks ago. Lost to aces in 3 tournies within about 5 minutes and ripped the mouse out of my computer and chucked it right through a window. I live on the 5th floor of an apartment, so needless to say that fixing it wasn't cheap.
Cost of a mouse: $20
Cost of a window: $350 (my security deposit)
Cost of my sanity: priceless.

syka16
04-18-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm sure I've induced some broken mice when I've been caught pushing trash in the SB. I punched my monitor and broke my hand once when my friend killed me 8xs in a row at DOOM back in 1993

gasgod
04-18-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
None. I am very calm by nature and have always been. By my standards a sigh when getting rivered is an explosion of emotion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are awesome.

The best I can do is scream at the idiot. I haven't broken anything. Yet.

GG

MSUcougar
04-18-2005, 12:00 PM
LOL TWO people have thrown mice through windows as a result of poker? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I've never actually broken anything but I'm sure I've woken up my neighbors a couple times...

Apathy
04-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I have, amazingly not broken a mouse yet. I have a cordless and I've thrown it a couple times at something soft and its always survived but stuff doesnt bother me that much anymore, I've seen too much. /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

suited_ace
04-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Sing with me!

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of [censored]
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life...
(Come on guys, cheer up!)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
(I mean - what have you got to lose?)
(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!)
Always look on the right side of life...

TruFloridaGator
04-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Same stuff, it's surved a few throws. I mostly just throw a hat or keys or something else. Maybe I will get more angry when I get higher in stakes(although I should probably take the opposite approach). I don't usually get mad for suckouts or bad beats, I get mad at myself for stupid plays. The forum is a real good way to vent my bad plays. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

joeadd
04-18-2005, 12:56 PM
My roomate also plays poker quite a bit so when either of us has a bad beat or something we just bitch to the other which kinda helps. The convo is always along these lines, okay so there were 4 people left....and the other person replying yea thats poker, but that sucks.

It almost actually works too.

Baked67
04-18-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm on mouse number three. First mouse got broke during the 50+4 European Daily MTT at pokerroom.com...I had KQ made a set of trips got all my chips in, QJ called on the turn, and hit a jack on the river. Bye bye mousie...Second mouse was a wireless that I slammed down on the desk one too many times. I've learned to control my temper quite a bit more now though...any time I get stressed I just relax and ah...have a little smoke session, and I'm usually good to go.

The Yugoslavian
04-18-2005, 01:57 PM
I've never acted in any physically violent way while playing poker...

I've never broken a mouse...I've never even pounded the table.

I rarely (or basically never) even yell.

It would seem breaking mice and/or keyboards is fairly common...as long as you don't own a katana that's nearby you're probably fine, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Yugoslav

1C5
04-18-2005, 02:21 PM
I used to get mad and throw stuff when I would lose in a PLAY money tournament.

Hahaha what a nut I was.

Now I don't break things anymore.

mosch
04-18-2005, 02:39 PM
I broke one trackball.

Was playing 5/10GBP NLHE and I lost in a heroically awful suckout to a one outter and then the guy left the table while I was away moving money from neteller into pokerplex.

I smashed the trackball into the desk and destroyed it. Felt like a tool when my girl came into the room thinking I may have just died or something.

Dominic
04-18-2005, 02:53 PM
I went to Wallmart and bought these cheap plastic cups that I put my soda/juice/water in while Iplay. They come in a 12-packand have that dual layer thing so when you put ice in it it doesn't sweat. They're also big enough for awhole can of soda.

The best part about them, however, is that they shatter really great when I throw one against the wall or floor.

Lots of shattered pieces that are easy to clean up. Makes a good sound, too.

The only problem is when I do it with a full cup. Not pretty.

Other than that, they are the perfect go-to thing to smash when I get a horrible beat!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ilya
04-18-2005, 03:23 PM
funny you should post this, I just broke my 3rd mouse yesterday. it's definitely an expense that you have to anticipate....figure about 6 mice/year or so. by the way, can anyone recommend a durable mouse that won't break the 10th time you slam it down on the table? My most durable has been a big ugly Kensington, but it too disintegrated under my wrath.

all this palaver about 4-tabling to stay calm and playing gazillions and remembering your lucky streaks and what not, it's just silly. i've played thousands of SnGs, i 4-table. i still go apeshit sometimes. i doubt there are many who never do. maybe ray zee and matt flynn.

as a side note, i take bad beats and even long OOTM streaks very stoically the vast majority of the time. but sometimes...evil is in the air and there's nothing you can do.

ilya
04-18-2005, 03:30 PM
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

gasgod
04-18-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I broke one trackball.

Was playing 5/10GBP NLHE and I lost in a heroically awful suckout to a one outter and then the guy left the table while I was away moving money from neteller into pokerplex.

I smashed the trackball into the desk and destroyed it. Felt like a <font color="red">tool</font> when my girl came into the room thinking I may have just died or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freudian slip of the month.

GG

TruFloridaGator
04-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Yeah, same thing, one of my roomates &amp; a guy across the hall are always there to here be bitch &amp; its good to get it out. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
However if it's my one friend across the hall who plays on my account with me, then I pretty much chew him out for getting such a bad beat /images/graemlins/grin.gif

47outs
04-19-2005, 08:08 AM
My roommate broke his laptop over his knee last night. He lost $600 on the pot and the laptop is about 2k.

Strange enough, there are cracks everywhere and the monitor doesn't fold down anymore but it still works!

outs

Blarg
04-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Your roommate may be okay at poker, but he sucks at reality.

Bremen
04-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Odd, for all the posts here I didn't expect that anger was expressed so universally. I always thought I was the norm in that I tend to laugh at my opponents bad play. Playing at the Borgata once I actually fell out of my chair laughing once when the best calling station I'd ever seen rivered a 2 pair with 32o to beat my KK.

Granted I can't say I've never cursed at a beat, but when I do its mostly because I'm the one who did something stupid. If my opponents does something stupid and beats me I just laugh and start drooling.

Slim Pickens
04-19-2005, 06:34 PM
I usually just laugh at the ridiculous suckouts. For some reason, losing 50/50's feels worse than losing with my AA vs. KK.

BradleyT
04-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Buy an MX-510 mouse. You'll like it so much you won't want to throw it anywhere.

Tilt
04-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Breaking a laptop over your knee is serious -EV.

I thought I was bad for denting my wall with Sklansky book. THere's no chapter in it dealing rage.

boondockst
04-20-2005, 05:09 AM
i still think my empty-bottle-of-409 through the window is a bad beat....no comments?

Ogre
04-20-2005, 07:29 PM
I just look at the river card and sigh. Then I hear the ding for my next hand in a different tournament and try to move on. I usually get mad after a lossing session and I think back on the bad beats that I took.

DasLeben
04-20-2005, 07:32 PM
I've been on a losing streak lately (just lost tens vs A2s all-in on the bubble...again *sigh*), so I feel everyone's pain. Unfortunately for me, I have a laptop with a touchpad, so I can't go slamming that around. If I do that, no more poker for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe one of us should form the "I hate myself because teh Partypoker makes baby Jesus cry" club. Shotgun, President!

valenzuela
04-20-2005, 08:19 PM
I hit the wall on agony after bad beats. My mom once told me anger makes blood go to ur hands, i dunno if u guys knew that.

DasLeben
04-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Anger makes m'blood go to m'nine. Beeooootch.

(For all you folks about to report me, it's a joke)

47outs
04-22-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your roommate may be okay at poker, but he sucks at reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

He basically sucks at life, but if life has a monitary value, he is winning.

outs

ripped
04-22-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with boon somewhat, if you're any good at 4-tabling that is.

But basically, the best cure for getting emotionally involved with the ups and downs is to play an unbelievable number of games. Like...a preposterous number. That helps you see that there's good luck as well as bad, and that you're going to get nutty streaks in both direcions.

Two things though. First, you have to be sure you're coming to the table immaculate. By that I mean kind of in the John Wooden sense, you're comfortable knowing that you've prepared so honestly and so well that you've done all you could. That way no guilt or self-doubt will haunt you, so you'll have much less reason to be mad when things don't go your way. Knowing you were as close to faultless as possible goes a very long way toward helping you weather bad luck or any kind of failure. I guess for some people it could make things worse, but for mature people, knowing you've done your best makes things much better.

Second, be sure to remind yourself about your good luck streaks. It's very important to do so, because they are very easy to forget about or just take as our just desserts, whereas bad things can bounce around in our brains forever, driving us nuts, even if they're tiny and we know it's silly to still be thinking about them. So you have to be sure you give your brain enough counter-propaganda to get you through the bad times. Rehearse every once in a while how good it felt to win or get in the money three or four in a row that one time, and that other time, too. Don't just think about the times your AK saw a blank flop and you lost a lot of dough; think of all the times you folded your pocket jacks and the flop came up with an ace, king, or queen. Really think about those times specifically, and haunt your brain with all your good decisions and good luck so that the bad ones don't crowd out your confidence and good spirits.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 1 of the better posts I have read. Ty for your insight. This may help me alittle more when I get in to a rut.