PDA

View Full Version : Hero Fires about 10 times the pot at the turn, thoughts?

ThePortuguee
04-18-2005, 04:03 AM
Hero has about $80 in front
Villain has $45

Hero is in BB with [Ks Ts], UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, Villain is in CO and limps, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop ($1.9 or so after rake): [Ac, Qd, 4c]
Checks around.

Turn (Still $1.9): [Ac, Qd, 4h] [Js]
Hero bets $1.5
UTG, UTG+1 fold to the Villain in the cutoff who minraises to $3.
Hero reraises all in for $80.

I'm not afraid of anything here or tryign to protect my hand. I'm best, and I want his stack. I like to the line of making obnoxious overbets sometimes because I find it's surprisingly effective at getting weak players to call with second-best hands. Ill disclose the results later on, what does everyone think?

-Skeme-
04-18-2005, 04:11 AM
Don't really like it. I assume if he has a good enough hand to call your all in with, he'll call a $15-$20 raise. If he doesn't, he just folds. If he calls your raise, then you can gun it on the river. There are no real draws he's calling with. Greater chance of him calling your smaller raise than an all in if he is weak and there isn't a huge chance he's going to outdraw you either. A raise seems safer. And if he has 44 he might re-raise you with a push anyway.

I just hate totally butchering hands without a proper read on the player or the hand in general and this all in seems like overkill.

ThePortuguee
04-18-2005, 04:22 AM
You might be right, but like I said its been my experience (though admittedly limited) that weak players will be more inclined to call huge overbets with second best hands because they like to think you're bluffing and would never make such a play with the nuts. They jump at the opportunity to take your stack? You see any validity in that?

I like your reasoning here, but I wonder if a raise that looks more like a value raise might scare off a weak two pair?

I think what I'm ultimately trying to explore in this thread is the theory of the overbet with the best hand in general, and the fact that opponents dont usually expect you to act so grossly strong when you are that grossly strong. It's made me a lot of money recently, but I wonder if it's a long-run effective play, or I've just bumped into idiots...

-Skeme-
04-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah, I'm a fan of the overbet actually, but only in the right circumstances. I don't really think this is one of them, though. The pot is tiny as hell and a minraise has been the only action Hero has given you. If he raised maybe to $10 or so I'd be more inclined to jam.

boondockst
04-18-2005, 04:33 AM
i'm guessing you either got ridiculed by the table as he folded or you got called and he filled up on the river?

ThePortuguee
04-18-2005, 04:48 AM
I got called by AQ, he didnt improve, and I took his stack. The river was a low card. But let's say the river is a J, then he can pretty easily get away from AQ, or let's say there are two of a suit on board and a third one comes on the river, or let's just say I make a moderate raise, lets say another over the top of the 3 to 13, he's going to have all kinds of time to wonder if he's good, and maybe he mucks a hand like two pair on the river. Maybe not top two bud middle two or something like that, am I wrong? I just like the idea of getting his stack in the middle in a moment when he's pretty damn sure he's good.

fuzzbox
04-18-2005, 06:18 AM
I like it. Most people who minraise go to the felt. Serves them right for minraising :-).