PDA

View Full Version : Poker's a weird game (content)

DavidC
04-18-2005, 03:15 AM
I try to play this game like a gentleman. I tell people if they consistently show me their cards, if I accidentally annouce a raise size, put too few chips in, and no one notices, I'll give the player the money if I lose, etc.

And I try not to let the dealer screw up if I'm making the decision in this example (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2132700&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14)

Even though I do this, I still realize that we're out here to profit, so I don't hold back in any poker decisions. I just try to make sure that hte game is fair.

What are your thoughts on this approach to playing?

If you guys were the one with the weak hand in the example, would you have just sat there and let it happen?

--Dave.

juanez
04-18-2005, 03:33 AM
If you guys were the one with the weak hand in the example, would you have just sat there and let it happen?

No. It would never have gotten this far because I would have said "Call" or "Fold" before or during the action of turning my cards up. The dealer should have been sure what the weak players intention was before bringing the turn and river.

joeboe2001
04-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I have to admit that the one time the dealer tried to give me the pot when I didn't have the high hand, I said nothing.

Nor did I get upset when another player (not the one with the high hand!) pointed out the dealer's error and he corrected it.

Like the prior poster, however, I wouldn't dream of turning my cards over before I put my chips in and/or verbally called. And, IMO, the floorman was dead wrong to let BOTH the dealer and the weak handed opponent off the hook. Someone should nominate him for the Supreme Court.

Chipr777
04-18-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And, IMO, the floorman was dead wrong to let BOTH the dealer and the weak handed opponent off the hook. Someone should nominate him for the Supreme Court.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you suggest the floor handle this? The player that turned his hand over still had a live hand regardless of if you think it was an angle or not. Players, while heads up, can and do turn up a hand to see a players reaction. I personally don't like this but it's perfectly legal. If the dealer put out the turn and river before the action was taken and it was determined there was no action taken then the turn and river are taken back and shuffled back into the deck with a chance to return. Of course I wasn't there and we're hearing one side of the story. There are no absolutes in making floor decisions. Every situation has to be evaluated and handled differently. The floorman may have had his reasons for making the decision he made.

Al_Capone_Junior
04-18-2005, 08:21 PM
For the record, here's the question...

[ QUOTE ]
I am an internet poker veteran, but new to B&M card rooms. This happened to me recently and I want to know if I was right or wrong.

The game is NLHE, $1/2 blinds, $100 min buy in. 3 handed. I am on the button with approx $230. Both opponents have more chips than I do. I make a small raise (20) with AQo. SB folds. BB calls.

Flop comes K,J,10 mixed. I bet 40. BB raises to 100. I push all my chips in, but don't say anything. He turns his cards face up (in front of himself) (K9) but doesnt put any more chips in or say anything. Dealer deals the turn and river and my straight holds up.

Dealer counts my chips and tells BB he owes me 70 more. He refuses, saying he never called. Now the SB gets into the mix, telling BB he owes me. It goes back and forth for awhile.

Finally dealer calls the florperson over. Floor says that since I didn't say reraise and BB didn't say call...he owes me nothing.

My feelings are: the dealer should have made sure what was going on before dealing the turn and river...AND...I got ripped off by a smarter player.

Let me know your opinions please.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so screwed up on several counts (I am assuming your story to be 100% accurate here)...

1. The dealer should NOT have dealt the turn or river card until the action had been completed. MAJOR error here. The floor failing to react to this major error seems to be a glaringly obvious problem here as well.

2. You clearly reraised IF you physically pushed all of your chips PAST THE COMMITMENT LINE (or past the edge of your cards on a table without a commitment line).

3. The floor should not have ruled that you did not reraise (I am assuming you did in fact push all your chips physically into the pot past the line). It is NOT necessary to say "reraise" here if you phsyically pushed in all your chips.

4. Despite point #3, the floor may still have been correct in ruling that your opponent did not actually call you. It appears from your story that he folded face up, which can be confusing, but happens all the time anyway. However, if he didn't say call, or push in his chips, he hasn't actually called you whether his cards are showing or not.

Keeping the game fair, and the integrity of the game fully intact, is my primary goal when I'm dealing, playing, or supervising. Here, these principles were violated because of compounding errors between the floor and dealer. The player may or may not have outsmarted you, or pulled a move on you, that really isn't clear. However, you must counter this possibility by insisting that the action be completed CORRECTLY before you show your hand or release your cards. Your counter move here is to insist that the player either call or fold before you show your hand, and before the dealer goes to the turn and river. If the dealer goes to the turn and river, like they did here, you need to insist on the floor being called to correct that error first (i,e, those cards come BACK), then insist the action be completed correctly.

al