PDA

View Full Version : Beyond the Glory: Manute Bol

[censored]
04-18-2005, 03:03 AM
If you get a chance to see this one I highly recommend it. Very touching.

I had forgotten how good of a player he was when he first hit the NBA.

Joe826
04-18-2005, 03:10 AM
ugggh. damn man i meant to watch this. i literally had it written down. i hope i can catch a reshowing. i love beyond the glory.

Dead
04-18-2005, 03:13 AM
He was never good in the NBA, except for blocking. He couldn't rebound and he couldn't score. He was a poor man's Shawn Bradley.

That said, I hear that he's done good work in the Sudan.

Joe826
04-18-2005, 03:16 AM
a poor man's shawn bradley? hahahaha. i'm pretty sure that's not even possible.

Dead
04-18-2005, 03:18 AM
I was trying to think of another useless, insanely tall dude in the NBA. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Drunk Bob
04-18-2005, 03:19 AM
He wasn't a very good player but you can't teach 8 ft.

He did try hard though.His story is sad since he sent most of his money back to ( Ethopia or Sudan)

college_boy
04-18-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He was never good in the NBA, except for blocking. He couldn't rebound and he couldn't score. He was a poor man's Shawn Bradley.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't compare him to Bradley. Manute Bol dominated the game without scoring a ton of points. Ben wallace would be a better comparison

[censored]
04-18-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ugggh. damn man i meant to watch this. i literally had it written down. i hope i can catch a reshowing. i love beyond the glory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it will be on this again this week once or seven times. Anyways it was very good and covers his time is college, his first few seasons in the NBA when he was good and all the aid he provided sudan. I did not know about his recent car accident.

Dead
04-18-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't compare him to Bradley. Manute Bol dominated the game without scoring a ton of points. Ben wallace would be a better comparison

[/ QUOTE ]

Bol dominated nothing.

Drunk Bob
04-18-2005, 03:29 AM
What channel?

Thanks Robert

[censored]
04-18-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What channel?

Thanks Robert

[/ QUOTE ]

Fox Sports

you will have to check your local listings though as it is a regional network.

college_boy
04-18-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bol dominated nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he dominated the defensive side of the floor. How many full games have you watched of Manute Bol in his prime?

Drunk Bob
04-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Damn My cable system has this on the digital package.

Hell if I'm gonna pay $6.00 a month when I may watch 1 hr of TV a week.

Gonna donate $6.00 to Horn of Africa relief in honor of Manute.

Anybody know of an organization that takes Neteller?

dr. klopek
04-18-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to think of another useless, insanely tall dude in the NBA. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doleac.

ttleistdci
04-18-2005, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bol and any form of the word "dominate" do not belong in the same sentence. Jordan dominated. Bol was just tall.

Moozh
04-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Doleac wasn't insanely tall. Georgie Mueresan was insanely tall.

WC64
04-18-2005, 02:08 PM
I watched it and thought it was pretty interesting/sad. Did anyone catch the part where he said his grandfather wanted to (and was) buried alive? WOW

tdarko
04-18-2005, 02:11 PM
i think there is a reason you are the first person i have ever heard say bol dominated something.

tdarko
04-18-2005, 02:14 PM
a man that is 7"7 and never averaged more than 6 boards a game is the sadder story.

jakethebake
04-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Manute Bol? Glory? WTF?

Bulldog
04-18-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a man that is 7"7 and never averaged more than 6 boards a game is the sadder story.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good example of manipulating numbers to make the point you want to make.

The fact is that he also only averaged 18.7 minutes per game. Rebounds per 48 minutes played, career: 10.9. That's not earth-shattering, but also not terrible. Most of the better rebounders of his era were in the 13-16 range.

However, he is #2 in NBA history in blocks per game, and was on the All-Defense Second Team his rookie year. "Dominate" probably isn't a real accurate term, but there were times that he was no slouch, either.

jakethebake
04-18-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good example of manipulating numbers to make the point you want to make.

The fact is that he also only averaged 18.7 minutes per game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did the same thing. He averaged 18.7 mins a game because he SUCKED!

ttleistdci
04-18-2005, 03:19 PM
They might as well have done a Behind the Glory on Bill Wennington. At least he won a championship.

tdarko
04-18-2005, 03:45 PM
uwe blab avg 9 minutes a game for the mavericks in 88', lets have a beyond the glory about him!

tpir90036
04-18-2005, 04:02 PM
My friend Chris was at the game when he hit 7 threes while playing for the Sixers. I still have the Sportscenter tape of that laying around somewhere.... totally hilarious.

He was obviously not glorious strictly in terms of his game...but he has always been a sideshow sort of character. Add his unique path both to the NBA and after it and I think that makes him worthy of a TV special.

Uglyowl
04-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Who holds the NBA record for 3 pointers by a person 7 1/2 feet or taller?

That's right... Manute Bol. Don't knock him.

Dead
04-18-2005, 04:16 PM
And how many 7 and a half foot guys have played the game? I can think of three. Manute Bol, Mheuresan, and Shawn Bradley.

Give me a break.

jakethebake
04-18-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And how many 7 and a half foot guys have played the game? I can think of three. Manute Bol, Mheuresan, and Shawn Bradley.

Give me a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

How tall was Ralph Sampson?

jakethebake
04-18-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who holds the NBA record for 3 pointers by a person 7 1/2 feet or taller?

That's right... Manute Bol. Don't knock him.

[/ QUOTE ]

A strong wind could knock him (down). What is that record? 3?

Daliman
04-18-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Manute Bol? Glory? WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

The glory is the fact that a man from his background made it to the NBA at all, and then he gives so much back to his homeland. I'd much rather watch this than some crap about Pete rose or some other jagoff.

tpir90036
04-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Uh... I think that was the point of his statement. Do you take everything that literally?

Uglyowl
04-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Manute burried 43 three's in his career. That's right 43!

Dead
04-18-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Give me a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

How tall was Ralph Sampson?

[/ QUOTE ]

7 foot 4. Same as Foul Smits.

Daliman
04-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Sampson was EASILY the best "tall" player ever,(over 7'2").

Too bad his knees were made of Mr. Garrison's testicles.

BreakEvenPlayer
04-18-2005, 08:06 PM
This was an incredible show, couldn't turn it off last night. What an amazing life this guy has led.

And Dead, you're an idiot. Sometimes I see a thread where I don't know very much about the subject matter, or one in which my opinion would be pretty worthless. What I do is I hit the back button on my browser and go read another thread. As a rookie Manute Bol blocked the second most shots in NBA history in very limited minutes. He was much better than Bradley. In an NBA summer league game before he was drafted he had 31 points, 29 rebounds, and 32 blocks.

ThaSaltCracka
04-18-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Manute Bol? Glory? WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

The glory is the fact that a man from his background made it to the NBA at all, and then he gives so much back to his homeland. I'd much rather watch this than some crap about Pete rose or some other jagoff.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree. I think Maute Bol is like the poor mans Olajuwon(sp). I say this because they both were tall black men from Africa who gave back lots to their homelands. Manute just wasn't anywhere near as good.

pshreck
04-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Did the show mention this? (http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=1644383&nav=3YeXKoaQ)

BretWeir
04-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Manute dominated the Fridge in "Celebrity Boxing".

DCJ311
04-18-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Manute Bol? Glory? WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I agree. I think Maute Bol is like the poor mans Olajuwon(sp). I say this because they both were tall black men from Africa who gave back lots to their homelands. Manute just wasn't anywhere near as good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing Bol to Olajuwon in any fashion except for the part listed in bold is insane. There's nothing similar about them. Bol was a stiff 7'6" player with very limited game offensively, Olajuwon dominated the game in many facets (offensively, steals, blocks, rebounds). Olajuwon was also 6'11 and played the game more like a small forward than a center, due to his unbelievable athleticism.

As Daliman stated, Ralph Sampson was by far the most incredible player over 7'2" that ever played, although Yao Ming will surpass him in that category. If Sampson could have stayed healthy, he would have been a 7'4" Kevin Garnett.