PDA

View Full Version : 1-1 NL, Uncapped Buy-In, Big QQ Hand

ThePortuguee
04-18-2005, 01:16 AM
I play in a very strong, regular home game with some friends, the game is 1-1 NL, most buy in for $100 but for those who like to play with deep stacks the buy-in is not capped. Several of the players are multi-thousand dollar winners on Partypoker and Stars.

Hero has $160 in BB, Villain, certainly the best Player at the table, has over $700 UTG, with the table covered easily. We are seven handed. Villain is a loose, very agressive, experienced, and very strong player. Additionally, I should note that Im a weaker, less experienced player, generally agressive, and that the Villain's opinion of me, the Hero, is that I play the game well but oftentimes like an inexperienced player.

Villain Raises UTG to $5, MP2 and CO call, Hero has [Qc, Qs] in the BB and calls $4.

I thought for a while about a healthy reraise here, but out of position with this particular Villain to my left I felt as if there'd be more value in letting the Villain overplay a lesser hand, even if it was only one more bet on the flop, rather than taking the pot down immediately.

BB (Hero), UTG (Villain), MP1, CO in pot, pot=$21

Flop: [Jc, 5c, 4d]

Hero bets $16, Villain calls, MP1, CO fold.
My strategy here is to try to look like a mediocrely-played flush draw. I think villain would expect me to play a flush draw this way.

Turn: [Jc, 5c, 4d] [9h], Hero and Villain in pot=$53.
Hero checks, Villain bets $40. Hero thinks a while and smooth calls (this is where I think my mistake is). When Villain makes his bet, he says "You don't have odds to chase a flush here, so you know."

River: [Jc, 5c, 4d, 9h] [Ad], pot: $133.
Hero checks, Villain pushes, Hero calls his last $99.

Thoughts?
Results to come.

steaknshake925
04-18-2005, 02:14 AM
interesting hand

on the river its a pretty easy call if villain really is a very strong player. if he has an ace theres no reason for him to push since he's putting you on the missed flush, so i think youre good here a very reasonable amount of time. either that or he has the nuts, but the way u played it i think u have to call here.

im not sure about ur call on the turn. were you hoping to induce a bluff on a non-diamond river? why not checkraise allin while he still thinks ur on the flush draw?

the river: since youre representing the flush draw, why not push the river and make it look like a bluff? that way you'll get calls from all the marginal hands that you beat that he would normally check down. this seems better than checking the river and hoping for a bluff, which doesnt seem likely given that his betting so far indicates a real hand.

of course, its possible that ur opponent is some kind of super-villain thinkin ten levels higher, and knows ur trying to represent a flush draw so he pretends to believe it while puttin u on QQ the whole time, and is now completely pwning you by value-betting his A2s /images/graemlins/smile.gif